SEQLD has BIGGEST AFL Juniors comp in Australia!

Remove this Banner Ad

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees

The southeast Queensland junior league is now the biggest junior Aussie rules competition in the country, while participation numbers across the state have more than doubled in the past six years.

Not even during the Lions’ threepeat of trophies at the start of the millennium has Aussie rules been as popular in Queensland.

The southeast Queensland junior league is now the biggest junior Aussie rules competition in the country, while participation numbers across the state have more than doubled in the past six years.

According to figures from the AFL, total participation has increased by 54 per cent since 2014, with girls not surprisingly, making up a huge number of new players.

Speaking at the Gabba, McLachlan said Queensland had ‘embraced our game’.

“The ratings say that, the ticketing says that, and the energy … it feels like we’re in a footy town now,” he said.

AFL legend Luke Hodge says Queensland’s next generation of footy stars could choose Aussie rules over rival codes as the sport rides a surge of popularity into tomorrow night’s Gabba grand final and beyond.

New data reveals southeast Queensland is now home to the largest junior Aussie rules competition in the country, with AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan yesterday declaring the Sunshine State had ‘embraced our game’.

• Banned
My 2 play in the SEQ Junior comp and it has grown in numbers and quality every year.
Theres no doubt the AFLQ staff have done a great job developing and promoting the game in QLD over the years. All the hot days in the sun, being patient with young kids doing Auskick etc in schools, the school based academies and school comps. Encouraging school teachers to become coaches has proven to be excellent as a way of having school based promotors for the game.

The promotion and development of girls footy has also helped generate interest. Whole families take an interest in AFL when their child plays the game, boy or girl. So adding girls footy gives the game 50% more opportunity to convert families in QLD to the game as an option besides RL or Soccer.

Has been a shame to see AFLQ staff that have done such a great job over the years be suspended or put off. However in the article above the AFL have stated their commitment to footy in QLD, so as the game grows lets hope those staff members who loved their job and the game can get the opportunity to go back and continue in the 'industry'.

• Banned
They ruined this year by

- Implementing community footy to youth

- No finals series...,only a GF
* I dont agree they ruined the year. They saved it. Ask Victorian kids if they would have changed places.

* I totally agree with the community footy sentiment. My concern is that its political, an effort to eliminate the 'best' culture by eliminating divisions. eg, 1st div, 2nd div, 3rd, etc, instead replaced with, red, blue, green etc. They replace 1st with 'conference', lower divisions with 'community'. That social engineering political dogma doesnt come from the AFLQ staff. They are blameless. Its up to clubs to stand against that rubbish. Ive not heard 1 person say its a good thing. In fact, EVERYONE HATES IT!

* My best guess is that the 1 game finals was to give everyone 12 rounds in the time allotted. Would have been easier for the AFLQ to run a final series as there would have been less games overall, as the season remains only 12 weeks. It was the right call. More footy for more kids.

Last edited:
Don't think there is one person out there that agrees with the abolishing of divisions.

Conference Cup relatively unaffected, just a new name for Div 1.

But lumping div 2-5 all in together is quite ludicrous.

Don't think there is one person out there that agrees with the abolishing of divisions.

Conference Cup relatively unaffected, just a new name for Div 1.

But lumping div 2-5 all in together is quite ludicrous.

In female youth footy is was a complete disaster. One of the worst decisions ever. But it was based on a survey of what everyone wanted...

• Banned
NO ONE KNOWS ANYONE THAT DID "THE SURVEY"!

Last edited:
I know one club, surveyed their members asking if they participated in the survey.

100% of responses said they weren't a participant.

Took that info to AFLQ and they refused to confirm who was actually in the survey

I know one club, surveyed their members asking if they participated in the survey.

100% of responses said they weren't a participant.

Took that info to AFLQ and they refused to confirm who was actually in the survey
At the next BJs clubs meeting bring it up and vote against it. Push back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rubbery numbers for this claim. If Melbourne had one single junior footy league instead of half a dozen it would easily be bigger than Brisbane Juniors. Same would be true in Adelaide and Perth probably

Remove this Banner Ad

Back