Remove this Banner Ad

Sprout

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 6, 2010
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, The Exers
We all know about the stoic and rock solid Serbian defence of recent years, including a back four consisting of Mladen Krstajic, Nemanja Vidic, Ivica Dragutinovic, and Goran Gavrancic famously only conceding one goal in ten games, earning them the title of "the famous four".

Further, it was the defence which drove Serbia to its World Cup qualification in 2010 where they were eventually knocked out 2-1 by a team which I can't recall right now.. :D It was in that campaign that their defence consisted of Vidic, Ivanovic, Kolarov and Subotic of Dortmund (whom Chelsea were also known to be chasing as recently as 2010-11). A formidable lineup in anyone's language.

I was only recently made aware that Vidic retired from the Serbian national team in 2011 due to negative comments from fans about his performances (harden up there princess?), though it is rumoured he is considering returning to national team duties under the new Serbian coach.

Should Vidic return, Serbia will once more be able to field a back four consisting of Vidic, Ivanovic, Kolarov and Subotic, with the option of this man..

filecdnphp_zpsa422b56c.jpg

Enter Matija "Nasty" Nastasic.

Any City fan will tell you he's been a God send in filling the vacancy in central defence this year, and at the meager age of 19 is already showing he has the attributes of a world class defender.

All I can say is, good luck getting past that lot, and with excellent attacking qualities as well.

Surely a defence to rival any other in world football.

too bad the players in front of that back 4 are ordinary to say at best. plus i wouldnt say kolarov is anything special when it comes to defensive duties though.

i will say this though. nastasic is going to be something incredible. has all the tools to be one of the best defenders around. he and varane would be a dream cb pairing.

too bad the players in front of that back 4 are ordinary to say at best. plus i wouldnt say kolarov is anything special when it comes to defensive duties though.
Yeah but...did you see his finish against Barnsley? :D

Granted he's the weakest of those five but he is an attacking fullback - lethal down the wing and his strength at set pieces is well known. Not bad if he's your weak spot.

i will say this though. nastasic is going to be something incredible. has all the tools to be one of the best defenders around. he and varane would be a dream cb pairing.

Varane + Mangala are going to be a nightmare of a CB combo for France in the very near future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

is mangala still at liege or has he moved on?

i have a feeling he has. i want to say portugal.

Yup, he's at Porto. Won't be there long though I suspect. Man Utd keeping tabs on him, and I'm sure others are as well. Having a very, very good season

Serbia's interesting, they seem like a side who really should be qualifying for the 2014 World Cup, but they surely can't get past the group stage in Brazil.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back