Serena Williams Grand Slam Watch

How many more grand slams will Serena win?

• 1 - level with Court

• 2 - eclipse Court

• 3+

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
How many more grand slam titles do people think Serena will win.

I thought the meltdown in the US Open final was a good indicator of where Serena thinks she is. She had every chance there and she knows time is running out so was extra frustrated losing to Osaka.

Her form in Australia has been mixed for mine. Her serve has dropped in and out, getting broken twice in a set by Bouchard is a worry going forward against someone that can hold serve themselves.

I still think Wimbledon is her best shot as there are less players capable on grass.

I'm going to go with zero and risk being wrong within a week and a bit :)

Tigerssaints

Club Legend
Sep 7, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
hobart f c
nearly all her dummy spits have been at her US open. Sam Stosur win against her ,2nd set arguing with ump. Naomi last yr/ umpire
the lineswoman against Kim Klisters in 09
Unfortunately US women's tennis acco led by Katrina Adams ,CEO always come to her aide

1547809078387.png

I don't think she'll win another Grand Slam. Even though that stretch in 2014-2017 was arguably the most successful of her entire career (played in ten consecutive semi-finals, eight finals, and won six major titles), I don't think she's been at the peak of her powers since 2012-2013. She's achieved a whole lot since, making slam finals and all, but she's been relying on grit, or determination, or willpower, or mainly one of her best qualities to win her matches, and pretty rarely has it been all of them combining together. That is natural to come with age, but she, unlike Federer, Nadal, Djokovic etc. has much tougher opponents from the younger generation who seem to relish playing the best.

Muguruza, Osaka, Pliskova etc are a few who have played some of their very best tennis against Serena, and even though it's a Serena that's far from her prime, they showed they still weren't intimidated by her and embraced the challenge. I think it's only going to get harder for Serena the older she gets, and the more confident those women become. Serena's best hope will be maybe on a surface she loves, like Wimbledon, where she may just get a decent draw and only needs to play a top player once or twice.

I think the biggest missed opportunity for Serena was in the mid-2000s when she almost disappeared into the abyss. I totally get why she may have fallen out of love with the sport (who could blame her!!) but they were prime years where she could have and probably would have been the best in the world, but in a four year stretch between 2004 and 2007, she only won two majors. She'd probably already be way passed Court's record of 24 if she invested in her career more in that time.

But still, she is the single most epic athlete I've seen and a terrific representative for the sport, so each appearance we get from her I consider a privilege as a tennis fan.

There’s only one thing that can help produce performances that she has carried out well into her 30’s. Especially when this supposed athlete has been as big as she is. No one in the history of the sport has had her physique and been anywhere near as successful.

Or maybe she just has a willpower and motivation to succeed that could only come from the hardships she's endured throughout her life and professional career? I think the likes of Clijsters, Henin, Davenport etc could have kept going with their careers once they hit their early 30s, maybe even remained close to the top of the game. But a) they obviously just didn't have that desire and motivation to keep going, and b) it just wasn't the done thing, there wasn't much of a precedent in terms of "how to dominate well into your 30s", a textbook that's been written almost exclusively by Serena and Federer. So once they started to decline, it was almost expected that the natural step was to just retire.

Serena and Federer, on the other hand, have just kept being strategic about how to return to top form whenever it's been lost (ie extending their breaks, limiting their schedule etc.) And here they are, both in their late 30s now, nowhere near the kind of form that would warrant panic or retirement, even if they're not at their absolute best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

gopies1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

And yet she is still behind Margaret Court with 24 singles titles. Margaret is still the greatest of all-time. Hack she won 192 titles, 62 grand slam titles, 24 grand slam titles (11 aus opens, 5 French, 3 Wimbledon’s, 5 USA opens). Margaret also quit tennis in 1967-68 when she got married. When tennis became professional she won 3 grand slams in 1969, all the 4 grand slams in 1970 and then in 1971-72 had time off tennis to have a child then came back as a mother in 1973 and won 3 out of 4 grand slams. Margaret also had a 91% win record compared to Serena 86%.

Serena needs to get to 25 if i consider her the greatest.

Great post, shut the thread.

s**t post.

This isn’t the ‘do you love or hate Serena thread’. It’s about her grand slams and whether she’ll win anymore. Luckily fans’ irrational hatred of her doesn’t have any bearing on that outcome. If it did, she’d never have won one when she did in 1999. The greatest irony of all of this is that Serena is aware of this irrational hatred, and always has been, and it propels her to greatness. Yes sometimes it sends her into a spiral, but most of the time she’s used it as motivation, to dominate and conquer her rivals and silence her critics over and over in the past two decades en route to 23. So she probably has folks like you to thank for her career haul.

red+black

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Grand Slam timeline: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serena_Williams#Grand_Slam_tournament_performance_timeline

After Wimbledon 2003, after having won 5 of 6 slams, she won just 2 of the next 20, although was absent for 5 of them. I may despise her at-times poor behaviour as well as dislike the fact that I expect people playing sport to be fit athletes, but you have to be supremely impressed with her record, especially the last 4 years where disregarding absentia and one walkover, she has made the semi finals of every slam.

Upon her return in 2018 I predicted she would not win another slam. I have to stick with that prediction but knowing the fragility of women's tennis, I'd say at worst she will come close.

hirdy_is_champ

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2003
tunnel
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
ESSENDON
s**t post.

This isn’t the ‘do you love or hate Serena thread’. It’s about her grand slams and whether she’ll win anymore. Luckily fans’ irrational hatred of her doesn’t have any bearing on that outcome. If it did, she’d never have won one when she did in 1999. The greatest irony of all of this is that Serena is aware of this irrational hatred, and always has been, and it propels her to greatness. Yes sometimes it sends her into a spiral, but most of the time she’s used it as motivation, to dominate and conquer her rivals and silence her critics over and over in the past two decades en route to 23. So she probably has folks like you to thank for her career haul.
I couldn't have given two shits about her until she started acting like a campaigner on the court and avoiding drug testers whilst serving as fast as the men.

gopies1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
My top 10 predictions for 2019 in the women’s side

1. Naomi Osaka - Aus Open R/U, French Open R/U, Wimbledon Winner, US Winner
2. Petra Kivitova - Aus open Winner, French Open QF, Wimbledon SF, US RU
3. Simona Halep - AUS Open 4th round, French Open Winner, Wimbledon QF, US QF
4, Serena Williams - Aus Open QF, French Open QF, Wimbledon RU, US SF
5. Angelique Kerber
6. Elina Svitolina
7. Sloane Stephens
8. Ash Barty
9. Karoline Plishkova
10. Aryna Sabalenka

11. Madison Keys
12. Carolyne Wozniacki

red+black

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
OK, 1 down for 2019. Serena has no chance at the French so then it is on to Wimbledon where she will have her best chance. Of course can't count her out at the US Open, but as time goes by it will only get harder and harder for her, much like the situation for Federer. If Serena does not win Wimbledon or the US Open this year, then I'd say the Australian Open next year is likely to be her last chance. She would be 38y 4m by then.

Last edited:
Back