Serial Podcast - Hae Min Lee Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

A friend recommended this podcast to me and I thought the crime board might be interested i'm 4 episodes in and it's riveting listening.

What is Serial?

Serial is a cold case investigation into the 1999 Balitmore County murder of 18-year old Hae Min Lee, a crime for which her former boyfriend and schoolmate, Adnan Syed, was convicted and jailed.

Narrator and reporter Sarah Koenig spends each episode excavating and weighing up evidence and testimony from the old case as well as talking to the friends and family of Syed, associate "Jay" and Min Lee.

She also says her task is not to exonerate Syed, but to discover the truth.

It's the fastest growing podcast on itunes ever, would be interested to hear what some crime buffs think

You learn in the first episode there are some serious doubt over the conviction and Syed's Lawyer all up it makes for a great yarn and has resulted in the case being reopened

http://serialpodcast.org/

http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/18/...record-for-fastest-podcast-to-reach-5-million

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...-forgotten-murder-victim-20141117-11o9ex.html

I listen to This American life a lot. Ep 1 of Serial was an episode of TAL, so I stumbled in without knowing what it was.

I am enjoying it and will stick with it but was a bit pst off that episodes 7 and 8 provide very llittle new info. You could also take the viewpoint that it is a simple case of someone killed a girl and a bunch of teenage pot smokers are hazy on their whereabouts.

The funniest moment is whenever Sarah Koenig tries to say "juror." It always comes out as "jurrrrr"

I wish they would get over the idea that the fact Adnan seems like a nice guy is relevant. it is perfectly understandable that someone can seem wonderful and do lots of really good things.... but also do something terrifyingly cruel.

Personally I reckon he did it but Jay changed his story to remove his involvement. If someone tried to strangle you one would assume you would put up a fight maybe scratch some skin or something for dna but nothing.

I reckon Adnan did it and Jay held her down, but Adnan can't say Jay is a lieing * because that would mean admitting Guilt so he has to pretend he isn't sure

But how much money did you send? :)

I have also found this podcast and immediately look forward to the next installment. After the 3 "new facts" in the most recent podcast, I'm thinking Jay (again)...however we aren't ever going to find out. Great listening.

I can't get past the fact that Adnan can't remember where he was. And that he was convicted based upon the testimony of an accessory after the fact, no physical evidence whatsoever (cept a fingerprint in a map book).
Some interesting theories and discussion at reddit.com/r/serialpodcast

Just started listening on the weekend. It's a prime example of how wonderful radio can be albeit as a podcast.

BTW I agree with the Adnan can't dob his friend in as that does it in for him theory too.

I just think there is a lore more to the Jay-Adnan-Stephanie dynamic. Jay sounded pretty protective of her and could have been threatened by hot shot Adnan. Reading into it a bit more online a friend of Adnan said Stephanie was Adnan's best friend and of course the murder happened on Stephanie's birthday. Also the friend said Hae was going to approach Jay about his infidelities. Hopefully we hear more about that on the podcast if true. We have also heard zero about Stephanie and to me she just seems like such an important player in all of this. Best friends with the convicted killer and the boyfriend of the accomplice.

I just think there is a lore more to the Jay-Adnan-Stephanie dynamic. Jay sounded pretty protective of her and could have been threatened by hot shot Adnan. Reading into it a bit more online a friend of Adnan said Stephanie was Adnan's best friend and of course the murder happened on Stephanie's birthday. Also the friend said Hae was going to approach Jay about his infidelities. Hopefully we hear more about that on the podcast if true. We have also heard zero about Stephanie and to me she just seems like such an important player in all of this. Best friends with the convicted killer and the boyfriend of the accomplice.

Sarah says in one of the episodes that Stephanie refused to be involved with Serial

But how much money did you send? :)

Zero, I don't see the point and believe there are far more worthy not for personal gain causes out there. My understanding is that the journalists are paid and much of the funding comes from grants and sponsorship, similar to a university. They produce a product opposed to performing a some kind of community service, that said there is nothing wrong with making a payment.

I have also found this podcast and immediately look forward to the next installment. After the 3 "new facts" in the most recent podcast, I'm thinking Jay (again)...however we aren't ever going to find out. Great listening.

I agree it is great listening, well thought out with strong narration like most of the product put out by this American life. In the end I settled at the same place Koenig ended up, unable to convict on the evidence. That said I think Adnan did it and Jay was potentially more involved than he let on.

The results of the DNA test will definitely be interesting.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree it is great listening, well thought out with strong narration like most of the product put out by this American life. In the end I settled at the same place Koenig ended up, unable to convict on the evidence. That said I think Adnan did it and Jay was potentially more involved than he let on.

The results of the DNA test will definitely be interesting.

I agree with you Jay definitely helped Adnan do it and changed his story to avoid jail, Adnan can't call him out on it because that would mean admitting guilt

Testing DNA is useless if it was a random Jay would never of known the story or been able to point the finger at Adnan

Ripped through this the last week. Loved it.

As for my thoughts, the case was too weak to convict esp with Jay being such an unreliable witness.

The crazy thing is the one who definitely was involved isn't in jail.

That said I think Adnan was involved.

I am an absolute chump with technology, can you listen to podcasts without owning any apple products?

Eg just download iTunes to my pc and download it there? I may be the only person who does not own any apple products

Yes, you can. Apple is actually great for people who don;t like technology. Things just work and keep on working. Beautifully.

Yes, you can. Apple is actually great for people who don;t like technology. Things just work and keep on working. Beautifully.

Yeah my partner and I are going to buy am apple desktop in a few months as our last two Laptops have only lasted a couple of years max but her iPhones have had terrible shelf lifes compared to my android phones.

I started reading about the case last night and can't wait to listen to this now!

If Adnan did it, he is a bloody good liar to have Sarah unconvinced after a year of research. Surely if he was lying to her there would be inconsistencies in his story that she would pick up on.

Tore through this in the past week. Found it great on the commute.

IMO Adnan did it. There's just too many conicidence I think. He seems to be almost the only one with motive... and the whole phone thing? WTF? He just gave it to Jay for an afternoon? And it was in the park where she was buried? Argh...

Having said that I'm probably in the same camp as Koenig and would acquit as I definitely am not certain.

I know they stated a few times they were objective but I think it seems like they were trying absolutely everything to get Adnan off. The theories and lengths they go through in the last episode re the unanswered phone call are very extensive. The Occam's razor solution is it was just a normal phone call that Adnan made. They devote so long to trying to come up with a theory as to why it wasnt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back