Media Serial Stats: The Wonders & Demons, and a Failed Attempt At Glory

Remove this Banner Ad

Did we really rattle this mob that much the week prior that they tried to go out of their way to break the posting record?

That 70S Show Lol GIF by Peacock
Yeah, that match thread was so s**t that we were just so excited to have a decent opposition

Cheers GOAT. You have to enlighten me on the story of Grockadoc one day.
Watch this my friend

oh and this i guess

View attachment 1787880

Do you remember #grandfinalrematch?

Of course you do. But for those that have joined since Season 33, I'll summarise: - it was the peak of match thread posting in the history of this league. The Dragons and Furies - two clubs with next to no common ground - coming together for a rematch of the Season 32 Grand Final. But instead of the usual slew of basic qooty banter, beer chat and faux outrage, the two clubs combined to create something special as they bounced off each other during a journey to what became the longest match thread on this forum. For almost all involved (U2tigers the exception) it was one of their fondest memories in this league.

They say that imitation is the greatest form of flattery. But what does it mean if the imitation is merely a pale shadow of the inspiration?

Many of you know ClarkeM, yes?

ClarkeM didn't like #grandfinalrematch.

Which is makes it all the more curious as to why he wanted to replicate it last week during the Round 4 match thread between the Wonders and Demons.

A little hypocrisy goes a long way, but never the less - off went the Wonders and Demons on their quest to climb the mountain.

I tried to warn them of the enormity of the task, but to no avail:

Bluelegs identified early on that they faced an uphill battle, but others forged on.

So how did our Foundation Cup friends fare in their quest? Surely the might of the Wonders and Demons - two self-proclaimed heavyweights of the league - could take down a record produced by the lowly Dragons and Furies?

View attachment 1788239

Oh dear.

Sadly they were never in with a chance. They kept within striking distance for the first 24 hours, but by the time Thursday rolled around they were flatlining more than the current global economy. The eventual differential of 3394 match thread posts was more than the top three contributors for #grandfinalrematch combined.

And with only 98 contributors, compared to the 123 seen in #grandfinalrematch, they couldn't even get the engagement from the wider Sweet FA community in their scheme.

Perhaps the Wonders and Demons should focus on trying to keep the "Foundation Cup" relevant, and add a bit of spark to their rivalry, instead of going on hopeless crusades whilst trying to add an element of friendship to their "fued".

But do you want to know what actually is the saddest thing about this attempt?

They didn't even beat the second longest match thread in Sweet FA history...

Bin this steaming pile of hubris. There was no serious attempt at defeating the ghastly excrescence that was the Furball - Drags. Iirc renowned wordsmith @pickitt was a leading poster. The thread remains a stain on the idea of match threads being a platform for witty banter.

People posting in the Dees Wonders thread took the time read, enjoy and respond to each other. Their approach differed markedly from the spam thread the OP refers to.

Bin the thread​

Last edited:
People posting in the Dees Wonders thread took the time read, enjoy and respond to each other. Their approach differed markedly from the spam thread the OP refers to.

Haha. No.

I would add Pickitt started off enthusiastically posting his guffaw free zone posts, some of which may have contained a recognisable word. He was deterred by folks in the thread and to his credit stopped posting.

What made the thread fun was the engagement of some very funny posters from both sides. The number of posts was irrelevant to most of us. It was, in short, a quality thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, that match thread was so s**t that we were just so excited to have a decent opposition
Seemed like a very reasonable and well mannered thread to me.

Did the number of exuberant Dragon gifs really ruin the thread for you guys? Damn, that's a shame.

Seemed like a very reasonable and well mannered thread to me.

Did the number of exuberant Dragon gifs really ruin the thread for you guys? Damn, that's a shame.
The dragon gifs you posted or the dragon gifs I posted myself? :tearsofjoy:

We had so much fun. Best match thread ever. Greatest match thread in this league’s existence!
The list of people that wanted to kiss you was longer than expected

The list of people that wanted to kiss you was longer than expected
I would agree with you there but I wasn’t complaining!

Love that we had so much fun that others who missed out have realised that they missed out on this much fun!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back