Serie A 2016/17

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah they have the cash neither of them have the mentality though. Napoli going forward are awesome but defensively can make us look good and some of the players on their books are garbage. I could give a really prolonged rant as to why Napoli won't challenge.

Roma could contend next season if they keep Manolas, Salah and Nainggolan and add to that world class core. Getting Monchi will be huge for them and if they get a good manager to replace Spalletti then they really should challenge for the title though.
You're a Viola fan yeah?

If Roma and Napoli had the cash they would've kept Pjanic and Higuain and added more class to their squads, they have good cores or are built up around certain players, but they don't bat much deeper than what they do imo.

You're a Viola fan yeah?

If Roma and Napoli had the cash they would've kept Pjanic and Higuain and added more class to their squads, they have good cores or are built up around certain players, but they don't bat much deeper than what they do imo.

Just like the purple NTTAWWTs more than most in Italy. Forever....a black cat.....yeah!!!!!

Agree with the depth thing. Both of them have good starting XIs but Jesus the depth is s**t house. Strinic as Napoli's back up LB? * off.

On money, Roma and Napoli wouldn't be far off from Juve, especially the Southerners. Neither of them are smart with it. If I were Napoli I'd break the bank for Berardi, Kessie, Perin and a CB to replace Albiol (maybe a cheeky Rugani bid?) and build a sound around those guys, Insigne and Milik. Roma just need better depth.

Juve are fairly smart with their budget too, buy players on the cheap and offload them for a mint. The sale of Pogba, Vidal and Morata alone has netted nearly €180m in the last 3 seasons. If Pogba wasn't sold no way would of Higuain been brought in. Picked up some bargains like Evra for €1m, Benatia for €3m and frees like Llorente, Alves, Khedira who have contributed greatly to the side.
I'd say we would look at frees or bargains again in the offseason unless Dybala gets sold for a pretty penny

Juve are fairly smart with their budget too, buy players on the cheap and offload them for a mint. The sale of Pogba, Vidal and Morata alone has netted nearly €180m in the last 3 seasons. If Pogba wasn't sold no way would of Higuain been brought in. Picked up some bargains like Evra for €1m, Benatia for €3m and frees like Llorente, Alves, Khedira who have contributed greatly to the side.
I'd say we would look at frees or bargains again in the offseason unless Dybala gets sold for a pretty penny

I was going to say this too. You have Bonucci, Chiellini, Barzagli, Rugani, Benatia and Caldara as CB's. That's ridiculous depth. Lichsteiner was the undisputed first choice RB, and you guys bring in Alves and Cuadrado. Marchisio, Pjanjic, Khedira, Asamoah, Sturaro, Rincon and Lemina for CM. Then you have Higuain, Dybala and Mandzukic for a forward line.

That's unbelievable depth in pretty much every area of the park. Roma and Napoli don't come close to that.

Just like the purple NTTAWWTs more than most in Italy. Forever....a black cat.....yeah!!!!!

Agree with the depth thing. Both of them have good starting XIs but Jesus the depth is s**t house. Strinic as Napoli's back up LB? **** off.

On money, Roma and Napoli wouldn't be far off from Juve, especially the Southerners. Neither of them are smart with it. If I were Napoli I'd break the bank for Berardi, Kessie, Perin and a CB to replace Albiol (maybe a cheeky Rugani bid?) and build a sound around those guys, Insigne and Milik. Roma just need better depth.

Napoli's depth isn't that bad, the biggest areas which need to improve in order to legitimately challenge Juve are we have to replace Reina as he cost us so many points during the first half of the season, and we need to be smarter with our style, we look to attack all the time which leads to risky, aggressive passes, as a result we turn the ball over too frequently in midfield which puts our defence under needless pressure at times.

Strinic is fine, doesn't play a lot as Ghoulam is extremely durable, but most times over the last 2 seasons when he has played he has more than held his own. He is great going forward. I have zero issues with being our back up LB.

I truly think Nikola Maksimovic can step up and replace Albiol as our starting CB alongside Koulibaly. Biggest question mark over him though is his health, as he has been dogged by injuries over the last 2 seasons. Also, not sure why we would need to spend 30m on Kessie when we have 3 potential young stars already in Rog, Diawara and Zielinski?? Add those to Hamsik, Allan and Jorginho, and we don't need to bring in anymore midfielders this summer. That sort of money can definitely be better off spent elsewhere...

A new starting GK, a back up RB for Hysaj as Maggio is done, a back up CB (as I hope we sell Chirches) and an attacking RW to back up Callejon is what we need. Do like your suggestions of Perin and Berardi as they do play positions of need to us.

Napoli's depth isn't that bad,

I direct you too:

I was going to say this too. You have Bonucci, Chiellini, Barzagli, Rugani, Benatia and Caldara as CB's. That's ridiculous depth. Lichsteiner was the undisputed first choice RB, and you guys bring in Alves and Cuadrado. Marchisio, Pjanjic, Khedira, Asamoah, Sturaro, Rincon and Lemina for CM. Then you have Higuain, Dybala and Mandzukic for a forward line.

That's unbelievable depth in pretty much every area of the park. Roma and Napoli don't come close to that.

the biggest areas which need to improve in order to legitimately challenge Juve are we have to replace Reina as he cost us so many points during the first half of the season, and we need to be smarter with our style, we look to attack all the time which leads to risky, aggressive passes, as a result we turn the ball over too frequently in midfield which puts our defence under needless pressure at times.

I agree with all of that. Pound for pound Napoli aren't far off from Real from a talent perspective looking at the first XI's but they smashed you guys because it was pretty much an open field for them. Reina is past it in terms of being a consistent top level keeper.

Strinic is fine, doesn't play a lot as Ghoulam is extremely durable, but most times over the last 2 seasons when he has played he has more than held his own. He is great going forward. I have zero issues with being our back up LB.

I guess we'll agree to disagree on that one.

I truly think Nikola Maksimovic can step up and replace Albiol as our starting CB alongside Koulibaly. Biggest question mark over him though is his health, as he has been dogged by injuries over the last 2 seasons. Also, not sure why we would need to spend 30m on Kessie when we have 3 potential young stars already in Rog, Diawara and Zielinski?? Add those to Hamsik, Allan and Jorginho, and we don't need to bring in anymore midfielders this summer. That sort of money can definitely be better off spent elsewhere...

I think Nikola can be world class but yeah you're right his health is an issue. If he can stay on the park he'd be great. KK, Maksimovic and Tonelli with another CB after that to replace Albiol and your defence will be fine (aside from one LB.....). Look at Juve's CM options and then the fact that they're looking at getting Iniesta on a free. Getting Kessie (who is an absolute beast) would see you guys have similar depth to Juventus.

A new starting GK, a back up RB for Hysaj as Maggio is done, a back up CB (as I hope we sell Chirches) and an attacking RW to back up Callejon is what we need. Do like your suggestions of Perin and Berardi as they do play positions of need to us.

I can agree with that. Still think Kessie and a replacement for Strinic would be good but what you said would be enough for Napoli to challenge next season (maybe). Berardi-Mertens-Insigne would make any Serie A fanboy cream himself (me included). Only problem with Perin is his knee problems. If he can get over that, Napoli have a world class keeper for the next 10-15 years.

Totti's final game in Serie A tonight!

I'm hoping he isn't sent off with a win though of course, as obviously want Napoli to come 2nd :D

Napoli finished with the most goals scored (94), best goal difference (+55) and the fewest losses (4), yet still only ended up in 3rd place. Only ourselves to blame though, dropping points against the two bottom teams in Pescara and Palermo was always going to prove costly.

What a turnaround season by Dzeko. Only 8 goals last season, 29 this season and finished league top scorer. I see Spalletti has departed Roma, fair loss imo, they have been great since he took over early-mid last season.

And what great stories Atalanta and Crotone have been this season... always good to see unexpected surprises like that!

Overall a pretty entertaining season, I reckon next season will be an absolute cracker though. Juve will obviously remain super strong, think Napoli will legitimately challenge them next season, Roma shouldn't get any worse and I fully expect the two Milan clubs to finally start rising as both will likely spend big in the summer.

Possible fairytale return to Serie A for Carpi who have made it to the Serie B playoff final after finishing 7th. Knocked off 3rd placed Frosinone 1-0 on aggregate. First leg ended 0-0 and Carpi were reduced to 9 men in the second leg which was away and remarkably scored late on to send them through.

You guys always seem to have a gazillion strikers in your squad every year too.

This year is probably the best firepower you've had in years though.

You guys are always an attractive destination for Bosmans though, high wages, great squad, prestigious club etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back