Serie A 2018/19

Italy.jpg

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester, Vixens
Just looking at that map, I was unaware of how little representation the south of Italy has.

There has always been a massive North/South divide in Italy, just like how there has been an East/West divide in Germany.

Both regions would treat the other like a different nationality altogether.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
Just looking at that map, I was unaware of how little representation the south of Italy has.
Catania, Bari and Palermo being 2nd/3rd tier teams doesn't help in that regard

Massive fall from Catania in particular who not too long ago were a Serie A regular. Palermo shoot themselves in the foot by cashing in on their best players all the time and are now just a yoyo club.

Anyways, Palermo holds a 2-1 lead going into the final leg of the playoff final against Frosinone which will be on Sunday morning I believe.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Little bit more spread out in the 2nd div.
View attachment 507335
Crotone did well to get 2 years in the top flight, but they will forever be minnows.

Lecce were also a yoyo club before they got done for matchfixing or something the year they went down in 2011-12, ended up being a double relegation.

So yeah from the South

Napoli
Palermo
Bari
Lecce
Catania

Are the main representation

David Schwarz

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 30, 2013
M9 - M10 Standing Room
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Catania, Bari and Palermo being 2nd/3rd tier teams doesn't help in that regard

Massive fall from Catania in particular who not too long ago were a Serie A regular. Palermo shoot themselves in the foot by cashing in on their best players all the time and are now just a yoyo club.

Anyways, Palermo holds a 2-1 lead going into the final leg of the playoff final against Frosinone which will be on Sunday morning I believe.

Spent a bit of time in Bari a while back

To have a stadium of that size, along with a thriving region of football loving nutjobs nearby - it's incredible they have largely been a yo-yo club

Could argue Lecce into that equation too with a straight face

Sad Pescara were relegated, only place on earth that I've sunbathed on a beach in 12 degree weather and felt happy

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Spent a bit of time in Bari a while back

To have a stadium of that size, along with a thriving region of football loving nutjobs nearby - it's incredible they have largely been a yo-yo club

Could argue Lecce into that equation too with a straight face

Sad Pescara were relegated, only place on earth that I've sunbathed on a beach in 12 degree weather and felt happy
Nice

As for Palermo, they choked and Frosinone won 2-0 and went up

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Southern Italy is poor as s**t and run by the mafia despite the clean up on the latter. It's a credit to Napoli that they're as strong as what they are despite the area that they're in.
Yep, Power Raids post summed that up

Calabrian Mafia vs Sicilian Mafia the main big dogs in that area

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Yep, Power Raids post summed that up

Calabrian Mafia vs Sicilian Mafia the main big dogs in that area

The poverty was covered but I don't think people who don't know much about actual Italy realize how much of a big deal the Mafia is over in that part of the world. They have their fingers in literally everything south of Rome.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
The poverty was covered but I don't think people who don't know much about actual Italy realize how much of a big deal the Mafia is over in that part of the world. They have their fingers in literally everything south of Rome.
Quite fascinating to read about it actually

The likes of the Ndragheta, Camorra etc, some rural towns/ghettos of small populations of only a couple thousand are their strongholds. Apparently nothing happens in these ghetto towns either, streets are normally deserted except for the elderly locals doing their daily shopping. Signs of violence across the streets, gunshots in streetsigns, smashed windows on deserted houses/shops etc.

Would be a pretty depressing environment

David Schwarz

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 30, 2013
M9 - M10 Standing Room
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Pretty sure it's floating around YouTube somewhere, but there's a great doco from a long time back on how apeshit everyone south of Rome went when Napoli won the scudetto

Picture Leicester 15/16 and add a liberal dose of practically every party drug you can think of

Adam_23

All Australian
Apr 14, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Utd, Napoli, Cavs
Serie A back Sunday morning with Chievo hosting Juve and Lazio hosting Napoli.

Milan vs Genoa and Samp vs Fiorentina postponed due to the unfortunate event in Genoa midweek.

Last season was great but this season has the makings to top it- love the work on the transfer market by many of the club's.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
Nice goal from Bernadeschi to give us the win. Chievo gave me scare for second.

Ronaldo looked much better after Mandzukic came on and allowed him to play wide.

Adam_23

All Australian
Apr 14, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Utd, Napoli, Cavs
Certainly an encouraging first up win by the boys. Good performance outside the first 25 mins.

Milik will score 20+ league goals this season if he stays fit :praying: Hamsik not bad in his first competitive outing as our new starting regista/Jorginho replacement. Think we'll see plenty of Diawara too in that role.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Certainly an encouraging first up win by the boys. Good performance outside the first 25 mins.

Milik will score 20+ league goals this season if he stays fit :praying: Hamsik not bad in his first competitive outing as our new starting regista/Jorginho replacement. Think we'll see plenty of Diawara too in that role.
Yep, interested to see how Zielinski, Rog and Diawara go

Definitely a spot or two in the team for whoever wants it

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus

Yep, interested to see how Zielinski, Rog and Diawara go

Definitely a spot or two in the team for whoever wants it
How do you Mertens fitting in the team?

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
How do you Mertens fitting in the team?
Sarri had already started phasing him out of the strikers role come end of last season once Milik returned to fitness

I'd guess he'll be a Mr Fixit anywhere across the front three/four should he stay

Belgium used him in the right wing-forward position during the World Cup too, so yeah, guess he'll rotate with Insigne and Callejon primarily, but sometimes deputise for Milik also. We've got Verdi now too, so got some attacking depth at least

Back