Serie A and Italian football 2023-24 fred - On beIN Sports

Great win for Fiorentina against Milan this morning 4-3. La Viola were up 3-0 halfway through the second half but managed to hold on and jump up to 6th.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
Whilst we have been pretty ordinary it’s still been a pretty good season to watch so far overall. Unfortunately I still think Milan win it but hope the race goes the distance

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
Great win for Fiorentina against Milan this morning 4-3. La Viola were up 3-0 halfway through the second half but managed to hold on and jump up to 6th.

It's a shame that Dusan Vlahovic isn't staying for long - he's the best centre forward Fiorentina have had since Gilardino (Jovetic and Rossi were more second strikers). His ball control and strength allow him to hold off defenders in tight spaces, and he's definitely got a poacher's predatory instincts and finishing.

All that said, while I definitely rate him above the likes of Piatek, his ceiling IMO is a very good, but not world class striker who wouldn't quite fit into the top sides. Firstly, unless they're freaks of nature like Lewandowski, a traditional centre forward seems increasingly redundant among the best sides because they don't necessarily contribute that much off the ball, nor do they link up play with their fellow attackers all that much. Given that the best sides press more than they used to, off the ball contributions and linking up become increasingly important, otherwise 1) it's easier for the opposition to steal the ball and 2) it's harder to defend as a unit if one of your players is isolated.

IMO Vlahovic doesn't do that much off the ball, and his link-up play isn't great - his passing isn't all that, his movement is very good but not world class and despite his natural physical attributes (i.e. being tall and strong), his aerial ability isn't as good as you might hope so it's hard to use him as a focal point/target man ala Didier Drogba, plus his style of play doesn't really lend itself to that anyway. Since he's a poacher, I reckon he'd be too isolated playing for top sides when off the ball against Top 6 sides. For that reason, if he was in the PL, he'd be dangerous against sides outside of the Top 6, but I reckon he'd struggle for consistency against the Top 6 (his masterclass against AC Milan notwithstanding).

Adam_23

All Australian
Apr 14, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Utd, Napoli, Cavs
Frustrating result, those missed chances by Rui and Mertens in stoppage time should've been coverted, well at least one of them anyway... i did think Inter played a little better than us over the course of the 90, but we were a touch unlucky. Osimhen again looks to be set for a fair stint on the sidelines, gonna need Mertens and Insgine to find some goal scoring form now (good start today with Mertens, his first of the season, cracking finish).

Zambo Anguissa and Fabian Ruiz have been integral to our success so far this season, but they were so poor for the first 70 odd mins today.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
Inter being massive arsey campaigners here

Lucky penalty where KK can't really do much, then get a flick on near post that cleared everyone and caught Ospina out

Reminds me so much of how Juve beat teams, not through class, just luck
You make your own luck

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
Frustrating result, those missed chances by Rui and Mertens in stoppage time should've been coverted, well at least one of them anyway... i did think Inter played a little better than us over the course of the 90, but we were a touch unlucky. Osimhen again looks to be set for a fair stint on the sidelines, gonna need Mertens and Insgine to find some goal scoring form now (good start today with Mertens, his first of the season, cracking finish).

Zambo Anguissa and Fabian Ruiz have been integral to our success so far this season, but they were so poor for the first 70 odd mins today.
We dropped our heads badly either side of HT once we went 2-1 down

Gotta find a way to eliminate any slip ups in these big games, would've came away with a point on another day imo. Nearly half our goals conceded for the season so far in the one game (3 overnight, 4 other 12 games)

We have the attack imo, but as my concerns were a month or 2 ago, the midfield have to step up and control the tempo of these games and take some ownership.

Adam_23

All Australian
Apr 14, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Utd, Napoli, Cavs
Outrageous performance by Napoli! First half in particular was the best i've seen us play in years. Osimhen out for a while but so good to be able to fall back on Mertens now...

And thank you Sassuolo! Although we play them next so hopefully their up and down form resumes this week ;)

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Outrageous performance by Napoli! First half in particular was the best i've seen us play in years. Osimhen out for a while but so good to be able to fall back on Mertens now...

And thank you Sassuolo! Although we play them next so hopefully their up and down form resumes this week ;)
Good way to respond

Would've preferred a 7 point gap on Inter, but it is what it is

Perhaps this current top 4 is just about locked in for the season, just see what way the cookie crumbles

Atalanta are starting to warm up again and hitting form also, so will see how they fare as aside from us in 2 weeks they should have some 3 point bankers coming up, Venezia, Verona, an inconsistent Roma at home, Genoa, so a good chance to be around 40 points by Xmas for them.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins

How good were those tops?
What an awesome tribute to the great man.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Good way to respond

Would've preferred a 7 point gap on Inter, but it is what it is

Perhaps this current top 4 is just about locked in for the season, just see what way the cookie crumbles

Atalanta are starting to warm up again and hitting form also, so will see how they fare as aside from us in 2 weeks they should have some 3 point bankers coming up, Venezia, Verona, an inconsistent Roma at home, Genoa, so a good chance to be around 40 points by Xmas for them.
We're cooked (in terms of title race)

Terrible week, given up leads and only got 1 point from the 2 games

Atalanta better go on with it now and mow down the Milan teams

Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Atalanta B.C
We're cooked (in terms of title race)

Terrible week, given up leads and only got 1 point from the 2 games

Atalanta better go on with it now and mow down the Milan teams
Yeah have to feel for you guys in your current state.

That Demiral goal was something else as was Malinovski's, we have a lot of potential to go all the way I think, especially with a fit squad and better depth across the wingbacks, central midfield than in previous seasons.
Milan absolutely capitulated against Sassuolo last week, and Romangoli is not up for it so I don't trust them at all, they will be looking for a Kjaer replacement.

Inter favourites atm though, playing well and consistently with a pretty established squad.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Yeah have to feel for you guys in your current state.

That Demiral goal was something else as was Malinovski's, we have a lot of potential to go all the way I think, especially with a fit squad and better depth across the wingbacks, central midfield than in previous seasons.
Milan absolutely capitulated against Sassuolo last week, and Romangoli is not up for it so I don't trust them at all, they will be looking for a Kjaer replacement.

Inter favourites atm though, playing well and consistently with a pretty established squad.
Inter for sure are favourites, its up to one of these other clubs to want it more though, I do hope Atalanta prevail but, gotta break the trophy drought somewhere

Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Atalanta B.C
Inter for sure are favourites, its up to one of these other clubs to want it more though, I do hope Atalanta prevail but, gotta break the trophy drought somewhere
I would consider us defensively solid, certainly moreso than Milan.
Handanovic is one big question mark for Inter, but their attacking play is purring.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
I would consider us defensively solid, certainly moreso than Milan.
Handanovic is one big question mark for Inter, but their attacking play is purring.
It's funny how Inter looked like an absolute broke rabble in the off-season, yet in all honesty its only been Lukaku out for Dzeko and Dzeko is probably the better all-round striker option providing he keeps fit (Serie A easily the best top flight league for aging strikers)

Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Atalanta B.C
It's funny how Inter looked like an absolute broke rabble in the off-season, yet in all honesty its only been Lukaku out for Dzeko and Dzeko is probably the better all-round striker option providing he keeps fit (Serie A easily the best top flight league for aging strikers)
Dzeko has been in great form, I think Correa compliments him well.
Last season it was all Lukaku and Martinez,
Having 3 solid striker options, who all have their own style (Obviously Correa is famed for being inconsistent) actually helps them.

Having Dimarco back at Left Wing back is also a great addition.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Dzeko has been in great form, I think Correa compliments him well.
Last season it was all Lukaku and Martinez,
Having 3 solid striker options, who all have their own style (Obviously Correa is famed for being inconsistent) actually helps them.

Having Dimarco back at Left Wing back is also a great addition.
Yeah Dzeko definitely very versatile

Can play on his own or with a partner, or come off the bench

I think Inters midfield is pretty solid from what I've seen of them too, so yeah, will be a challenge for whoever else to go the distance with them.

Imo Napolis biggest weakness is the midfield, not enough quality in there for mine, Zielinski is probably our best option at the moment and is hitting the scoreboard regularly which is nice which was a hallmark of Hamsiks game, Ruiz doesn't step up in big games, I hated having Jorginho as the lynchpin before he went to Chelsea as imo he lacks aggression, but he definitely controlled games better, we need someone like him and a proper destroyer as we still haven't replaced Allan. I wish Inler was 10 years younger, he'd be handy to have again too.

A 4-0 win for Fiorentina this morning is their third win in a row and sees La Viola jump up to 5th on the table. First time they have been this high on the table this late in the season for close to a decade.

Also, we are 17 games into the season and we still haven't played a draw, unusual for a team in Serie A.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Screenshot_20211213-140406_Chrome.jpg

Ffs Napoli...bloody Spursy as all ***k

Back