Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Geez, absolutely shocking result for Milan there

About as bad as Napoli getting 0 points ar home to Empoli, Atalanta and Spezia in December

And now Inter trail Sassuolo 2-0 at halftime. Depending on the result of this match, Milan could have put some real distance in the title race yesterday.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
And now Inter trail Sassuolo 2-0 at halftime. Depending on the result of this match, Milan could have put some real distance in the title race yesterday.
And that’s how it finished.
Some real decent turn of results on the weekend

Adam_23

All Australian
Apr 14, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Utd, Napoli, Cavs
Wow, thank you Salernitana and Sassuolo. I mean we'll probably blow the opportunity tomorrow morning but great results.

Sassuolo are the first team since 1955/56 to win away at Juve, Milan and Inter in a season. They are stacked with promising talents.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
Wow, thank you Salernitana and Sassuolo. I mean we'll probably blow the opportunity tomorrow morning but great results.

Sassuolo are the first team since 1955/56 to win away at Juve, Milan and Inter in a season. They are stacked with promising talents.
And Napoli leave it late to grab a point

Adam_23

All Australian
Apr 14, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
We were incredibly lucky to even draw that, worst peformance of the season along with that Spezia one in late December.

Howler by Ospina to concede.

Again we're copping injuries all over the place, it is sooo annoying.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
AC Milan shooting themselves in the foot. Two points from last three games against bottom six clubs
If Atalanta held on against Juve the other week and got something against Fiorentina then they'd be in the race still with their games in hand

Just looked, they haven't won in Serie A since they belted Udinese 6-2 on the 9th/10th of January, 3 draws against Inter/Lazio/Juve and losses to Cagliari and Viola

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
Fiorentina have replaced Vlahovic with Piatek.

Piatek's really just a downgraded version of Vlahovic - he has a fairly similar playstyle (Gilardino-style poacher) without Vlahovic's strength or technical ability - but if you give him the proper service, he'll score plenty for an upper-mid table Serie A side, which Fiorentina are ATM.

I don't think he'll ever be able to fire Fiorentina into 4th, though.

That aside, Vincenzo Italiano has impressed me as a coach. I thought of him as being more attacking, but he seems to be pretty adaptable and has learnt how to set up a defence. Their victory against a well-drilled, well-managed Atalanta side was very impressive in this regard. If you back him with the right personnel, and make the most of outgoings - which Fiorentina did by making Juventus pay big for Vlahovic - I think he'll go pretty far.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Fiorentina have replaced Vlahovic with Piatek.

Piatek's really just a downgraded version of Vlahovic - he has a fairly similar playstyle (Gilardino-style poacher) without Vlahovic's strength or technical ability - but if you give him the proper service, he'll score plenty for an upper-mid table Serie A side, which Fiorentina are ATM.

I don't think he'll ever be able to fire Fiorentina into 4th, though.

That aside, Vincenzo Italiano has impressed me as a coach. I thought of him as being more attacking, but he seems to be pretty adaptable and has learnt how to set up a defence. Their victory against a well-drilled, well-managed Atalanta side was very impressive in this regard. If you back him with the right personnel, and make the most of outgoings - which Fiorentina did by making Juventus pay big for Vlahovic - I think he'll go pretty far.
Yeah I watched most of that last Sunday night before falling asleep, Violas first half was very impressive, got on the front foot and attacked regularly and didn't allow Atalantas midfield to control the game. Even when Viola lost possession Atalanta didn't have many opportunities to counter, probably down to Violas workrate.

You're still a good chance for qualifying for 1 of the Europas this season, I think the main problem was early in the season you couldn't convert losses into draws, but you were getting the wins at least when not losing. A good summer transfer window and who knows, the league is very even at the moment.

I think 4th comes down to Juve vs Atalanta though, maybe one of the top 3 struggle and fall to the pack, wait and see

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
Yeah I watched most of that last Sunday night before falling asleep, Violas first half was very impressive, got on the front foot and attacked regularly and didn't allow Atalantas midfield to control the game. Even when Viola lost possession Atalanta didn't have many opportunities to counter, probably down to Violas workrate.

You're still a good chance for qualifying for 1 of the Europas this season, I think the main problem was early in the season you couldn't convert losses into draws, but you were getting the wins at least when not losing. A good summer transfer window and who knows, the league is very even at the moment.

I think 4th comes down to Juve vs Atalanta though, maybe one of the top 3 struggle and fall to the pack, wait and see

I do think Fiorentina's owner is serious about having them climb up the league, though whether they can get back to where they were under Montella in the early 2010s is another matter.

Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Atalanta B.C
Any chance of Napoli rocking up tomorrow?
Should be an exciting game

One thing I will say is that the big teams in Serie a are all pretty thin on depth which is probably a major reason why the Scudetto race is so close.

It only took bastoni, brozovic, Dumfries being out for inter to look at very different side once Gagliardini, darmian and dimarco are asked to step in, as was the case against Sassuolo. (inter seem to always drop points when dimarco plays centre back, and I think it's unusual for such an offensive player to be deployed there). Inter are very reliant on Dzeko with Martinez out of form these days.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Mazarri has done an excellent job with that side and a pretty limited squad. It was a very exciting game, Torino are very threatening.
My ninja edit wasn't ninja :(

Will be a test for inexperienced top flight sides like Venezia and Spezia to avoid the drop now, looks likely it'll be 1 of them dropping down with Genoa and Salernitana

Cagliari have the experience to stay up, though they have been relegated like 5-6 years ago I think?

Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Atalanta B.C
My ninja edit wasn't ninja :(

Will be a test for inexperienced top flight sides like Venezia and Spezia to avoid the drop now, looks likely it'll be 1 of them dropping down with Genoa and Salernitana
Venezia have looked okay, but inexperience is a worry.
Spezia have overachieved for their performances imo, could definitely see them falling.

Adam_23

All Australian
Apr 14, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Holy crap!!!! What a game!!!! Still shaking!!!!

Thought we blew yet another chance but what a cracker by Fabian Ruiz in the 94th min to win it. Massive for our confidence.

We host Milan next weekend....

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Holy crap!!!! What a game!!!! Still shaking!!!!

Thought we blew yet another chance but what a cracker by Fabian Ruiz in the 94th min to win it. Massive for our confidence.

We host Milan next weekend....
Yeah big one next weekend ay, looked at my phone on break expecting it stayed 1-1 and couldn't believe it

Need to watch the highlights, just got home

Still think those 3 stinking home defeats in December will cost us, but who knows, it's firmly in our own hands now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back