Series Win in the Offing?

Remove this Banner Ad

After being widely tipped to lose 4-0 before a ball had been bowled, this Australian cricket team has done exceptionally well to remain highly competitive halfway through day 5 in the 3rd test.
Already plenty of positives to take away; Renshaw's application, Wade's improvement behind the stumps, and a generally more circumspect and pragmatic approach to batting against quality spinners. After regular meek capitulations in the subcontinent it's come as a really welcome change to see the Australian cricket team try something different by taking heed of the conditions and opposition and changing their collective approach.
The selectors have also mostly got it right apart from Mitch Marsh getting a gig over Maxwell for the first two tests.

It's a shame we lost Starc before the 3rd test; his bowling is obviously handy and his lower-order batting has done some damage too.

Still plenty of room for improvement, but the team has set a new benchmark after years of sub-mediocrity.
40 overs left in the days play as I type, if Australia can grind out a draw here after enduring their worst day of the tour yesterday it will be another positive in a series that has surprisingly been full of them.

Draw this one and the fourth test should hopefully be a result pitch. Win the toss and we'll have a decent chance at winning the series.

Would rather lose in the last rubber than have it peter out to a 1-1 draw.

What do all of you think now?

Australia are clear favourites for the 4th test. Can we somehow not screw this up and come back as unexpected series victors?

It's still on!

I have to admit we've done very well to set this decider up.

Who would have thought this would happen at the start of the series?

original.gif

It's still on!

I have to admit we've done very well to set this decider up.

Who would have thought this would happen at the start of the series?

I did. After the changes in the team since the last SA test I have been very optimistic. It's the rest of the board that haven't caught on and are continuing to prattle the "Boo Hoo we are going to LOOOSE!" line months after it has gotten stale.

I did. After the changes in the team since the last SA test I have been very optimistic. It's the rest of the board that haven't caught on and are continuing to prattle the "Boo Hoo we are going to LOOOSE!" line months after it has gotten stale.

The changes have been inspired. Two out of three right so far, especially when one of them (Renshaw) hadn't really played any FC cricket previously so it was hard to say how he would have gone.

Trevor Hohns is the chief selector isnt he who brought these guys in? Also pretty sure he was the selector for the 2004 Ind series as well which Aus won. Seems to have a knack for it, atleast with picking sides for Indian tours. Also think Cummins was a great pick given where the series was at, even if he has had to shoulder a heavy workload.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tomorrow Day 3 will seal the deal.

Just need to ensure that the batting stands up.

I feel like this isn't the first time you've branded a day as the deciding day of the series :D

It is getting to that point where it's gonna go one way or the other. No draw in this test that's for sure.

I feel like this isn't the first time you've branded a day as the deciding day of the series :D

It is getting to that point where it's gonna go one way or the other. No draw in this test that's for sure.

Lots of twists and turns to come, would be nice to get them out for around our score or less then set them 300+.

Looks like our first innings score was about par, but if you bat really well you could make 350-400

Basically the other batsmen have to stop leaving up to smith the poor campaigner. Maxwell fluked a ton. But I have more faith in cummins with the bad them Maxwell. Our batting take out Smith is diabolical. But Smith is batting as good as don badman in his prime. And that might only be a slight exaggeration.

The whole batting line up is shaky apart from smith

Basically the other batsmen have to stop leaving up to smith the poor campaigner. Maxwell fluked a ton. But I have more faith in cummins with the bad them Maxwell. Our batting take out Smith is diabolical. But Smith is batting as good as don badman in his prime. And that might only be a slight exaggeration.

The whole batting line up is shaky apart from smith

Their batting has had similar issues. Only Rahul and Pujara have managed any real consistency for them.

Renshaw seems to have faded after the 1st innings of the 3rd test and all of Warner, S Marsh and Handscomb, maxwell and Wade have had their moments without being consistent.

If ever there was a time for a random S Marsh ton, this is it

Their batting has had similar issues. Only Rahul and Pujara have managed any real consistency for them.

Renshaw seems to have faded after the 1st innings of the 3rd test and all of Warner, S Marsh and Handscomb, maxwell and Wade have had their moments without being consistent.

If ever there was a time for a random S Marsh ton, this is it

In. The second dig in ranchi the Indians didn't look like getting him out. Sure he got out early in this test but I reckon he found form.

In. The second dig in ranchi the Indians didn't look like getting him out. Sure he got out early in this test but I reckon he found form.

I just hope we don't pay the price for not picking Khawaja for this match. Warner in the 2nd innings is a massive chance of getting out uber cheaply (yet again).

I just hope we don't pay the price for not picking Khawaja for this match. Warner in the 2nd innings is a massive chance of getting out uber cheaply (yet again).

I don't see how we can pay the price. I'm someone who thinks Khawaja was hard done by coming into this series but the odds of him scoring a 50 as Warner did were pretty low.

Anybody have any hope whatsoever?

What if India are 25/2 first thing tomorrow? 40/3? 57/5?

Need one heck of a bowling effort though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back