News Serious assault following last night’s game (2018 final)

Remove this Banner Ad

Most people who criticise judges generally are incredibly ignorant about the whole legal system and what punishments actually mean / are trying to achieve. The vast majority of judges get it pretty right, and if not then either party can just appeal the decision to a more senior judge.

Being a Director of a small legal firm with 14 solicitors, I can guarantee you that a significant portion of the criticism judges receive is well deserved and not ignorant.

It is a huge issue how out of touch the majority of judges are from mainstream society & this stems in part, from most judges living in the wealthiest suburbs of the capital cities & mixing with the top end of town.

Living in ease, in almost crime free enclaves will tend to cause a markedly different exercise of discretions when compared to someone exercising those same discretions but residing in poor suburbs with higher risks of experiencing burglary, violence & drug abuse.

The US style system of electing judges has some merit, given the vast majority of us will never be able to have any influence on who sits in judgement on us.

I’ve had a good chat to a mate of my dad’s about this topic, he spent his career in education both public and private schools.

He always said “it all - all of it - starts and ends at home”

He always said that no matter where he taught, the kids who were “smart” and got ahead almost always had good, dedicated parents, and the others had shitty, neglectful parents.

He taught in poorer areas where students left school very well equipped and kicked on because they had parents who were dedicated and instilled discipline. Likewise elite private schools where some students were genuine deadshits. You might be able to give your kids lots of material things and buy them a spot in an expensive school, but it doesn’t matter if you don’t follow it up with proper attention and discipline at home. They walk out the gate at 3pm then it’s up to the parents.

And plenty of parents spend huge on education he suspected out of guilt. “Giving their kids the best” but too often off doing their own s**t (work/other stuff) and not being a good parent.

That could well be the case here, who knows.

Of course, there are plenty of good parents at private schools too.

He isn’t right or wrong, just his opinion. 90% parenting, 10% school.
There are good and bad kids coming out of all sorts of schools. Honestly why is the school in this case even relevant?

This is just three blokes for some reason making a despicable mistake. I happen to know one of them. He wasn't neglected and his parents are great people. They sure as s**t didn't send him to Xavier either because of guilt. Which is why I was completely dumbfounded and in shock when I saw his name and photo in The Age. He wasn't some troubled kid from an early age either. Far from it actually.

He's right. People who think they're getting a better education at private schools are amongst the most delusional people on the planet.
Do they really send them to these schools for better educations though?

Would have thought the facilities, sports programs, networking opportunities and pressure to do well would be the main reasons.

He's right. People who think they're getting a better education at private schools are amongst the most delusional people on the planet.

It's all about connections and social capital though, well it is in Adelaide anyway and I assume the same in Melbourne. And I know for a fact that certain schools here get a significant advantage when it comes to final exams, e.g. their own teachers write them.

The difference between the actual education in private vs public schooling is probably minimal. But the resources available to the 'elite' private school kids are ridiculous compared to public schools.

There are good and bad kids coming out of all sorts of schools. Honestly why is the school in this case even relevant?

This is just three blokes for some reason making a despicable mistake. I happen to know one of them. He wasn't neglected and his parents are great people. They sure as s**t didn't send him to Xavier either because of guilt. Which is why I was completely dumbfounded and in shock when I saw his name and photo in The Age. He wasn't some troubled kid from an early age either. Far from it actually.

It was a general comment on the schools discussion that had been going on for a few pages.

It's all about connections and social capital though, well it is in Adelaide anyway and I assume the same in Melbourne. And I know for a fact that certain schools here get a significant advantage when it comes to final exams, e.g. their own teachers write them.

The difference between the actual education in private vs public schooling is probably minimal. But the resources available to the 'elite' private school kids are ridiculous compared to public schools.
Correct. In Melbourne it can be fairly cliquey too. No advantage in final exams from what I know but these private schools put a great deal of time and effort into ensuring they have the best possible chance to do well in VCE. At the end of the day it's still up to the kid though. There are teachers too who know a lot about VCE and have connections which help to teach kids what type of answers the markers are looking for, what sort of questions they'll ask and so on.

And yeah the resources. Massive footy ovals and gyms, some schools spending big coin on sports coaches, constantly updated facilities and so on.

Probably partially explains why private school students fail at higher rates at University.

And after reading about that bus driver who copped 5 years for being the 1482529th person to hit the Montague st bridge, anything less than 10 is a joke in comparison.
(Doesn’t work like that, I know, but perspective)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't sound like they have a whole lot of remorse...

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...set-to-fight-the-charges-20190212-p50xbe.html

Burn them at the stake.
Even so. The convicting judge will give them a discount for an early guilty plea, because they're 'part of the family'.
They'll get a no conviction recorded for a first offence, a 6 month good behaviour and have to give $20 to the poor box. The judge will scold them and warn them that if they're going to beat up on lesser humans, don't get caught.

Plea deal
But their lawyers told Melbourne Magistrates Court on Tuesday their clients would only plead guilty if the majority of the charges against them were dropped.

Lawyers for the three accused men spent much of Tuesday negotiating with prosecutors in meeting rooms, until lead prosecutor Craig McConaghy returned to the courtroom late in the afternoon to inform the magistrate the trio planned to plead guilty to two counts of intentionally causing injury.

However, Magistrate Duncan Reynolds was told the guilty plea was conditional on prosecutors withdrawing the other charges, which include the more serious offences of reckless conduct endangering life, reckless conduct endangering serious injury and recklessly causing serious injury in circumstances of gross violence.

Disturbing video recorded by a bystander shows a man in a Richmond beanie repeatedly punch and kick a man on the ground, while two men in the background assault another man.

The Age article has the video of the attack

Prosecutors shouldn't do any deals - who cares if they plead guilt or not

Press play on the video and then give them the maximum penalty possible when they don't plead guilty

And if you expect justice to be done in this case

Compare it to this one:

Jay Stephens, 20, and his brother Isaiah Stephens, 18, each face multiple charges — including intentionally causing serious injury — for allegedly attacking Assistant Commissioner Chris O'Neill at 5:30pm on Saturday.

Not sure how anyone could think Gustav Nossals Grandkids weren't "intentionally causing serious injury" when they were repeatedly kicking and punching someone in the head

Ideally any deal is rejected by the court.

I'm pretty sure a court can only rule on the matters brought before it.

It's just another example exposing the legal system as a racket that benefits the wealthy and well connected.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back