News Serious assault following last night’s game (2018 final)

IKnowtheDog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks

Did I get the phrase wrong.

The gist of my post was why can't we have a mature discussion on these issue just because politicians and others may not.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Did I get the phrase wrong.
Dunno, don't care, I just like the fact that someone with the username IKnowtheDog and an avatar of a dog used the phrase "dog whistling" :D :D :D

Simple things for simple minds I guess.

MagicGnome97

All Australian
Sep 6, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
As an Australian born son of foreign born parents. And a son who liked soccer once the AFL took my true team of Fitzroy away, I am scared to attend AFL games knowing that rich white males who think they are 'untouchable' will discriminate against me.

Over to you Gil.. But then again Gil, how is your Au Pair case going?
Bloody hell you are acting like such a victim. I've been going to the footy for years and have never seen anything like that assault or racial discrimination or anything of the like. It's a rare thing. Grow a pair mate.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I am willing to bet he won't get off. The footage is there. It is clear as day. There is no reasonable argument for self defense considering:

1. The age of the victim
2. The brutality of the attack
3. That the victim tried to defend themselves

It's open and shut. I've no doubt class plays a role in getting people off convictions, but that's not really where our discussion here started.
He will get a conviction but he will have a QC make submissions at the time of sentencing how he is a good character and have some bullshit character references that his daddy conjures up and how they are young and unlikely to offend again and have great career prospects and a chance to redeem themselves blah blah blah. A wink and nudge from the old boys and they will get a very light sentence. Probably some bullshit community order near where they live.
And the conviction wont impact their employment prospects because they will get jobs from people they are connected with anyway - so it wont matter.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Looks like Dominic may have wasted all those hard yards at Xav in 2009, English his forte back then;

Walker, Dominic
3 total (Sum: 130)
  1. Classical Societies & Cultures: 42
  2. English: 46
  3. Literature: 42
Fast forward to 2018 and he's allegedly beating up old blokes.
Wont be wasted cos daddy will get him a job.
Also is classical societies and cultures really a subject? FFS. Talk about easy marks.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
My wording wasn't great. But as a defense, home environment is often used. And I'm arguing that simply because he comes from a wealthy environment, doesn't mean the home environment couldn't rationally be used as a defense.
They are in their 20s ffs. One almost 30.
They aren't 17 or 18.
So no home life is not an excuse.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Very possibly, but most employers do a quick google on the names of their potential hires these days. These blokes will have the video of them smashing an old blokes face in show up. At 20 you could brush that s**t off as youthful folly, at 27 you just look like a sociopath with an anger problem (which might not be a problem if they've followed in their old man's footsteps where sociopathy is probably a good career move).
Doesn't matter when connections get you a job.
Their employers will be mates or connections of the old man.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
You have some issues, champ. I’m sorry if I’ve intruded into your safe space.

I think you’ll find the ones often screaming for deportations are not the ‘inner city elites’ but rather those in the outer reaches who cohabit with first and second generation migrants. Inner city elites are the ones baying for closure of detention camps and more open borders. You know, something to soothe that white, middle-class guilt they seem to have become afflicted with. Why do you think inner city electorates are turning Green?

For what it’s worth.

1. I too am white, of a migrant background and most of my mates are of migrant background
2. I too went to a private school
3. Three well-connected tools who went to a private school and allegedly committed an assault on two older gents last Thursday have naff all to with immigration or border controls and your confected outrage is misplaced
Allegedly?

MagicGnome97

All Australian
Sep 6, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
They are in their 20s ffs. One almost 30.
They aren't 17 or 18.
So no home life is not an excuse.
If its true that they are closer to 30 than 20 than what is the relevance of the high school they went to. I mean its not like they are 22 and younger where I can see it perhaps being more relevant. Why have they made a big deal over the fact that they went to Xavier?

hk89

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If its true that they are closer to 30 than 20 than what is the relevance of the high school they went to. I mean its not like they are 22 and younger where I can see it perhaps being more relevant. Why have they made a big deal over the fact that they went to Xavier?

Probably because Xavier seem to have developed a reputation for churning out this type of scum. For what it's worth I agree with you, I think once you've hit late 20s there isn't a lot of relevance where (alleged) criminals went to school (unless it is Parkville College, or a Catholic school under an abuse cloud).

There are a lot of aboriginal kids in gaol all over the country for a lot less than these flogs.

Yer but they deserve it, these upstanding young white gentlemen certainly don’t

*sarcasm

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
It's not about what's easier. You're still generalising. An ex girlfriend of mine went to a $20,000-a-year school, lived in a wealthy suburb and never had to worry about money. Her brother abused her physically (I didn't know at the time), and the father was a drug addict.

On the contrary, I grew up in a suburb classified as having among the lowest household incomes in the metro area, highest crime rate, and lowest school completing rates. I come from a loving, caring and supportive family, and now could probably be classified as living in a wealthy area among the city's elite. That's because of my upbringing.

I know that those latter areas have higher rates of unhappiness, and it's obvious why, but it's not about what's easier. Because that is completely dismissive of what can and does happen. What my ex went through (and may still being going through) happened regardless of her social class. What you're saying is akin to saying it's not as bad because she comes from a wealthy family. I don't think she asked to be abused.

Better is a dinner of herbs where love is, than a stalled ox and hatred therewith.
Proverbs 15:17

DEECEE

Premium Platinum
Aug 27, 2007
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
A couple of private school kids who beat up an old man in the street. Wow have fun in remand fellas. I'm sure u will have some people dropping by to say "hello"

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
So, are Melburnians now afraid to go out to restaurants because of roaming gangs of posh white kids?
Don’t know about Melbourne but thirty years ago when I was a white surfer kid with dreadlocks walking along the footpath, people would cross the road to the other side of the street on the Gold Coast. And I’m harmless!!

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
He will get a conviction but he will have a QC make submissions at the time of sentencing how he is a good character and have some bullshit character references that his daddy conjures up and how they are young and unlikely to offend again and have great career prospects and a chance to redeem themselves blah blah blah. A wink and nudge from the old boys and they will get a very light sentence. Probably some bullshit community order near where they live.
And the conviction wont impact their employment prospects because they will get jobs from people they are connected with anyway - so it wont matter.
Judges are former lawyers

My lawyer did some shady s**t once , ripped people off for life savings etc, when I was interviewed by the fraud squad to provide evidence for their brief, I asked what the likely out come would be, he said the campaigner should get 10years as they knew where the money went but could not prove it,

He also said as judges are ex lawyers they say in their minds there but for the grace of god go i and the sentence will be a two year good behaviour bond.

Guess what the lowlife got

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
Conditioning the masses

Back