Rumour Serious Tension between Bell and Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Have it from a good source that Bell engineered removing Nat from being the captain
Conspiracies about Fyfe being forced to step down, or Ross being sacked are ones that should be generating no attention.

Fyfe has been injured for the past 2 and a half seasons. Why would we waste the captaincy on someone who can't even get on the field? It was the right decision regardless of who it came from. If Bell had to be the one to initiate it, then good on him. If Fyfe came to that conclusion himself, then good on him.

And Ross being kicked out was not some huge conspiracy. He had gone 4 years without finals with zero improvement in that time. How many coaches survive that? If Bell was the one to sack him then good on him.

Plenty of decisions he's made that have no merit and are based on his own arrogance and stubborness, but those two were the correct decisions.

I find the constant demonising of Peter Bell, who seems like quite an intelligent guy with good intentions, to be quite bizarre tbh.

people who wouldn’t know their arse from their elbow with regard to what he does or doesn’t do, slagging him off is just sad tbh.

criticise outcomes all you like, but geez, slagging the guy off in such a personal fashion is a bit gross.

Pardon the intrusion, but someone from our board claims that Bob Murphy hasn't helped the situation by meddling in things & going beyond his remit - any word on this?

I find the constant demonising of Peter Bell, who seems like quite an intelligent guy with good intentions, to be quite bizarre tbh.

people who wouldn’t know their arse from their elbow with regard to what he does or doesn’t do, slagging him off is just sad tbh.

criticise outcomes all you like, but geez, slagging the guy off in such a personal fashion is a bit gross.
Yes but haven’t you heard he’s short

Bell honestly wants the best for the club and have success.
However his role allows him to be overpowering in too many areas.
He really shouldn’t be involved in match day build up and the game itself.
Love the passion of the guy. But it’s clear it’s having an effect on list management and coaches.
Bell wants what is best for Bell, always has, always will.

If he really wanted what was best for the club he wouldn't be wandering around with a whiteboard and eavesdropping during training sessions, gameday warmups and at every game break.

No thank you. I need a scapegoat and I liked Acres so I will continue to demonise Bell until further notice.

Pardon the intrusion, but someone from our board claims that Bob Murphy hasn't helped the situation by meddling in things & going beyond his remit - any word on this?
Bob Murphy hasn't barely been allowed out of his office, he dared to listen to a couple of the players questions and concerns over coffees and was rapidly told to get back in his box and leave player relations to that mastermind Bell.

Bob is a great listener and connects really well with all different ranges of players - even those that don't like him personally get that he is worth a chat and has real supportive messages. I fear we will lose all of Garlick, Murphy and Corey before the year is out.

Bob Murphy hasn't barely been allowed out of his office, he dared to listen to a couple of the players questions and concerns over coffees and was rapidly told to get back in his box and leave player relations to that mastermind Bell.

Bob is a great listener and connects really well with all different ranges of players - even those that don't like him personally get that he is worth a chat and has real supportive messages. I fear we will lose all of Garlick, Murphy and Corey before the year is out.
Genuinely, where do you get all this supposed information from.

You sure Garlick is going? Club released a statement recenmtly saying the complete opposite.
He's going to take the footy ops job (not AFL CEO) unless a dramatic change happens in power structure and behaviour in the corporates in Freo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bell wants what is best for Bell, always has, always will.

If he really wanted what was best for the club he wouldn't be wandering around with a whiteboard and eavesdropping during training sessions, gameday warmups and at every game break.
Genuine question do other clubs do, or be seen like Bell in his position?
You’d think he would be behind the
Operations, closed doors.

Yep, he's a genuine dude. Have worked with him in the past and I like to think I'm a decent judge of character. I wonder what the Venn diagram of people slagging him off based on tin foil hat stuff and those that bag out Fyfe looks like. Just a circle I'd imagine.

Genuine question do other clubs do, or be seen like Bell in his position?
You’d think he would be behind the
Operations, closed doors.
Happy to be proven wrong / have other examples, but I can't think of any other club where the footy ops manager also:
  • does the injury reports
  • walks through every line group repeatedly in game warmups and training sessions;
  • holds up the white boards and directly participates in every quarter time and half time huddle.

It happens in some cases at lower level leagues where there are only one or two admin / support staff, but I can't recall it ever happening at AFL clubs. I didn't even notice until several AFL level players pointed it out to me at different points during the summer break (not Freo players). I went back and watched the games over the last 18 months, and then really focused on it during this year, and was amazed to see it exactly as described.

Players, agents and support staff / assistant coaches notice that kind of stuff happening at other teams way more than we realise I think, kind of like how golfers watch other golfers club selections, hoops players watch the boxing out for rebounds, and off ball screens, or race car drivers watch other drivers pick lanes for turns and chicanes. Happy to be proven wrong if every other club footy manager is actually also training line manger, whiteboard dude and injury report king.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back