Rumour Serious Tension between Bell and Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard to know what's working/isn't working when we're so poor in the contest tbf. Collingwood's fast ball movement works because they win EVERY 50/50 contest.
Why does Luke Ryan immediately look to the pockets in kick outs when there’s a free Walker unmarked in the corridor.

1. It’s gameplan (directed for safety of the boundary) which is slow ball movement along the wing.

2. Possibly Luke Ryan can’t back himself in to make the kick.

Reckon it’s the former. So does Mark Duffield and Hase.

Why does Luke Ryan immediately look to the pockets in kick outs when there’s a free Walker unmarked in the corridor.

1. It’s gameplan (directed for safety of the boundary) which is slow ball movement along the wing.

Thing about Ryan's kickouts (and the movement from defence is general) is the way the coaches will go out of their way to defend it. Saying more or less "you can't always move fast, sometimes the options are covered so you have to kick to a contest. need to find the balance etc" without acknowledging that we ALWAYS choose the slow option and never even attempt the fast option.

Like yeah no s**t we can't always get it moving fast but it you would try to more than 10% of the time that would go a long way to helping.

Hopefully the penny has dropped!

Going by his interview with 7, I’m doubtful.

Our contest work is rubbish, but the fact is he won’t admit that the slow ball movement isn’t working.
I’m not going to pretend there’s going to be change, but as a coach your not going on tv to admit your game style is completely wrong & you’re going to train the players to change it.
I’d hope we’ll train to change & the opposition spy’s have to find that out themselves.

Don't agree. We used that technique early in Longmuirs tenure while he instilled his defensive structures. He hasn't wanted it that way for two seasons now but the backs have persisted with it.
After the last quarter where we moved the ball quickly, Justin said that is how he wanted us to play and the first quarter of the very next stuffing game (6 friggen days later), the tall backs went back to the slow sideways sh#/.

I’m not going to pretend there’s going to be change, but as a coach your not going on tv to admit your game style is completely wrong & you’re going to train the players to change it.
I’d hope we’ll train to change & the opposition spy’s have to find that out themselves.
He has already said he will try and improve down the line structures to add an extra exit avenue for the backs to use. The backs have been unable or unwilling to use overlap run or aggressive kick to exit on a consistent enough basis.

Don't agree. We used that technique early in Longmuirs tenure while he instilled his defensive structures. He hasn't wanted it that way for two seasons now but the backs have persisted with it.
After the last quarter where we moved the ball quickly, Justin said that is how he wanted us to play and the first quarter of the very next stuffing game (6 friggen days later), the tall backs went back to the slow sideways sh#/.
Then why are those backs consistently getting game time?

If players aren't doing what the coach wants them to do, why does the coach keep rewarding the same players at selection?

Its one thing for the coach to say he wants the team to play in a certain way, its another for him to actually take positive action to enforce the game plan.

If players consistently fail to do the right thing but still get selected, well that is a coaching problem that he needs to be held accountable for.

If players aren't doing what the coach wants them to do, why does the coach keep rewarding the same players at selection?

Its one thing for the coach to say he wants the team to play in a certain way, its another for him to actually take positive action to enforce the game plan.

If players consistently fail to do the right thing but still get selected, well that is a coaching problem that he needs to be held accountable for.

Wilson got dropped, but be realistiic. We just don't have the options at Peel to have the luxury of dropping a couple of defenders to make a statement. Hamling was unavailable for a while and is now underdone, Draper is way off, and Wilson is serving his penance. Who else we got?

Agree. There are limited options in that area but they need to be held accountable somehow. It might help if the defenders had some faint belief that we were going to win the odd contest up the ground

Last edited:
In all seriousness could this have anything to do with JL being represented by Colin Young? A man that Bell wants to see hauled over hot coals and incinerated.

In all seriousness could this have anything to do with JL being represented by Colin Young? A man that Bell wants to see hauled over hot coals and incinerated.

I doubt it has much to do with Young, as much as I loathe his persona and would love to blame him in some way.

However, the fact JL2 has kept Young as his Manager whilst all the other stuff has gone on is another in the substantial pile of questionable judgement calls he has made. My Grandad introduced me to it and since then I've followed the notion that you can get a read on someone to a pretty decent extent by looking at those they choose to have around them. It's a pretty good guide in my experience.

I wouldn't let Young walk my dog but our coach is fine for Colon to represent him whilst he's been doing his best to damage the club. Not a great look.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt it has much to do with Young, as much as I loathe his persona and would love to blame him in some way.

However, the fact JL2 has kept Young as his Manager whilst all the other stuff has gone on is another in the substantial pile of questionable judgement calls he has made. My Grandad introduced me to it and since then I've followed the notion that you can get a read on someone to a pretty decent extent by looking at those they choose to have around them. It's a pretty good guide in my experience.

I wouldn't let Young walk my dog but our coach is fine for Colon to represent him whilst he's been doing his best to damage the club. Not a great look.

Another head scratcher from JL.

Lands the Freo coaching gig, flys back from Melbourne and buys a house in Karrinyup. Wtf?

100%. If it happens over multiple months, especially after a preseason where you've had a long time to plan and train, it's coaching.

Either it's planned or they can't execute it or your incentives are such that they won't. All of which becomes a coaching issue at a certain point.

You can't with a straight face say our back 6/7 as a whole aren't good at moving the ball.

Young should be taking kickins. Then Clark. Wilson when he’s there. Then Ryan. Then maybe Cox. Never Pearce. I’m hoping Walker when he gets around 50 game experience will be able to take them too.

I believe Longmuir, J has sacked Young.

Which, contrary to all the grandad wisdom on this page and elsewhere, isn't the best idea. I would have kept the slimy campaigner, sticking fat to the maxim that you keep your enemies close, and held him to account about the management of my career - something his endless front-end loading shenanigans and general f.uckheadedness has seriously destabilised.

"Work with me, C-word, you coke-addled whore. Work with me."

Ffs has anyone heard of some bs columnist in the West called ‘The Snitch’? He’s written an article about how he saw 20 freo players out in Freo on Saturday night and that they shouldn’t be going out after a 49 point loss.

Then he says that Nick Daicos and Marcus Bontempelli would never do this. Hurhurhurhur

Everyone certainly loves to pile on after a few losses but imo the young guys should be able to go out for a few drinks when they’re on an 8 day break. The fact that there was 20 of them also says that at least the boys are still bonding.

Anyway posting here because it’s gossipy trash and deserves to be in this trashy thread.

Ffs has anyone heard of some bs columnist in the West called ‘The Snitch’? He’s written an article about how he saw 20 freo players out in Freo on Saturday night and that they shouldn’t be going out after a 49 point loss.

Then he says that Nick Daicos and Marcus Bontempelli would never do this. Hurhurhurhur

Everyone certainly loves to pile on after a few losses but imo the young guys should be able to go out for a few drinks when they’re on an 8 day break. The fact that there was 20 of them also says that at least the boys are still bonding.

Anyway posting here because it’s gossipy trash and deserves to be in this trashy thread.
Yes, that column is a new low for the The West where they get free reign to say slanderous bullshit with no repercussions

……funny thing is there was a bloke talking to my brother saying “they shouldn’t be here drinking” “so and so wouldn’t be here drinking”

No one went up to them but there was as one individual at the bar who was trying to fire up the patrons about them being there….Snitch?

You always see Freo boys at the Fed, it was an 8 day break, it's allowed

Saw dogga Darcy and wags there the weekend before the season started

The club has rules in place and those rules allow it on an 8 day break

Remove this Banner Ad

Back