Setanta O'Hailpin = Earl Spalding Mk II

Remove this Banner Ad

What an inspired comparison! I never thought much of the big Earl. Then he held down a KFP with the blues. I see no reason why the Setanta can't hold down KFP and rip some dumbshit that thinks he can mess with the Setanta. I love Essendon, but I'd be happy for Carlton to get 17 VFL/AFL premierships if it was on the back of Setanta going apeshit and kicking a few goals, taking out the opposition CHB and not even realizing what he'd done but still celebrating like a kid who got his first lollypop.

Number 1. Make it so.....

What an inspired comparison! I never thought much of the big Earl. Then he held down a KFP with the blues. I see no reason why the Setanta can't hold down KFP and rip some dumbshit that thinks he can mess with the Setanta. I love Essendon, but I'd be happy for Carlton to get 17 VFL/AFL premierships if it was on the back of Setanta going apeshit and kicking a few goals, taking out the opposition CHB and not even realizing what he'd done but still celebrating like a kid who got his first lollypop.

Number 1. Make it so.....

Classic! :D

I love footy. I love it when a player just goes off. I don't mean when a player king hits someone, but just has a crack and finds that the game opens up for him. Adelaide won a premiership by putting a centerman at fullforward and some guy called Ellis in the forward 50. Just imagine if the big Setanta managed to get a few balls forward when they were coming his way, then grew in confidence and kicked a few big ones, all on Grand Final day....
Fairy tales are made of such stuff....

Carlos offers us a lot when the ball hits the deck. He does the odd stupid thing but overall i think he's played the 2nd ruck role pretty well over the last few weeks.

I love footy. I love it when a player just goes off. I don't mean when a player king hits someone, but just has a crack and finds that the game opens up for him. Adelaide won a premiership by putting a centerman at fullforward and some guy called Ellis in the forward 50. Just imagine if the big Setanta managed to get a few balls forward when they were coming his way, then grew in confidence and kicked a few big ones, all on Grand Final day....

Could you imagine....O'Hailpin - Norm Smith Medalist :eek:

You mean Shane Ellen?

Either way, nice positivity and great post.

His name was Ellen. He ruined what was meant to be the perfect day for a 10 year old Saints fan :(

His name was Ellen. He ruined what was meant to be the perfect day for a 10 year old Saints fan :(

97 final series was brutal. Adelaide just kept producing great running play on a team level and individual players for them just had blinders.

Earl Spalding was a galloot just like Setanta is. Both are battering rams that would be likely to hurt a team mate once in every six or seven times they make body contact with someone.

Spalding could play too. His smother and goal in the 95 GF was gold.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it me or is O'Hailpin the Golf Ball Mk II ?

I agree. Although O'Hailpin can have bad brain fades, his fierce attack on the ball is quite admirable. Not many of this type of unorthodox player in the system so I appreciate him.

At least he's got a personality, gets alot of s**t hanged on him because of that, but I hope there is still a place in our game for players to show some personality. Hes not the greatest player going around, but give 100% the whole time hes out there, wish some of his teammates had the same desire!

At least he's got a personality, gets alot of s**t hanged on him because of that, but I hope there is still a place in our game for players to show some personality. Hes not the greatest player going around, but give 100% the whole time hes out there, wish some of his teammates had the same desire!

I think clubs their best to avoid recruiting personalities and that is why it is a rather bland landscape of players compared with the 70s and 80s. Clubs are after fast running robots so it is good when a Setanta, Mitch Robbo or a Jake King slip through. Fevola was avoided by a lot of clubs due to the attitude he displayed before the draft but he was good fun for many years, love him or hate him (and I often had both emotions during the same game.)

Carlos is great for footy in general.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back