Seven Network shunts AFLW coverage to secondary channel

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Less than two weeks out from the start of the second AFLW season, it’s been confirmed that the majority of the free-to-air telecasts of AFL Women’s matches will be shunted by the Seven Network to one of its secondary channels, 7mate.

More: http://[NB: girlsplayfooty domain h...hunts-aflw-coverage-to-secondary-channel.html

This girls play football page and a lot of girls football followers negativity is honestly getting a bit sickening. Honestly they just sook about everything.

I think the afl is doing an amazing job with what they are doing but are negatively criticised by this page and followers at every turn.

From women's pay, women's game structure (16 a side) where the game is broadcast ect.

FFS the ashes is moved to gem sometimes during prime time, why would AFLW be any difference.

Bag the old men of the afl all you like but without them gifting women a league you wouldn't have seen one for a very very very long time. They are pumping huge money into all levels of the sport and doing a great job. Should be thankful it's broadcast at all.

Shunted is probably the wrong word, that it is even being broadcast I would say the words Pumped up are more in place.
Agreed. "Shunts" isn't the right way to describe it. Its not like they're hiding it away on a delayed replay at midnight. Ch 7 often puts things like the Davis Cup on 7Two or Mate so I don't see why the AFLW wouldn't get the same treatment.

Everyone who wants to watch the Channel 7 games will still get it live. The only issue is that it won't be in HD.

This girls play football page and a lot of girls football followers negativity is honestly getting a bit sickening. Honestly they just sook about everything.

I think the afl is doing an amazing job with what they are doing but are negatively criticised by this page and followers at every turn.

From women's pay, women's game structure (16 a side) where the game is broadcast ect.

FFS the ashes is moved to gem sometimes during prime time, why would AFLW be any difference.

Bag the old men of the afl all you like but without them gifting women a league you wouldn't have seen one for a very very very long time. They are pumping huge money into all levels of the sport and doing a great job. Should be thankful it's broadcast at all.
There are proper gripes about they pay and I think they're right about that (as others when they've pointed out the problems with the pay).

On the other hand, I agree with whining about things like the rule changes or broadcast schedules - as if they believe that there's some attempted undermining of the competition from Channel 7 or the AFL or whatever. There's no reason that the rules have to be the same for the men (and their claims of rules being "trialled" are not only off the mark but also no different to the men's AFL when things like no third man up rules were still being worked out in the pre-season) and things like 7mate are an entirely commercial decision - Channel 7 started more games on their main channel last year and then shifted them to 7mate as ratings dropped last season. If ratings pick up on 7mate, I'm sure Channel 7 would be equally as willing to shift them back to the main channel rather than showing a movie rerun or whatever.

Disappointing, especially since they paid $0 for the right to broadcast it too (yes, they paid for the AFL broadcast rights sure) could have been given to the ABC for free for a few years before the rights were to be sold.

The broadcasters are covering the production cost.

And getting advertising dollars. Production costs are a lot less than the cost of the rights.

No they are more than the cost of the rights, which are zero at the moment....I think you meant the value of the rights...

We don't know the actual value of the rights yet going forward because we only have the first deal which was signed before a game was played

Hopefully the afl can extract maximum value through getting as many outlets bidding as possible. Meanwhile don't expect a commercial network to act against its commercial interest

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have already heard that 7 will be arguing they are basically providing a community service at their own cost, and that it would be unreasonable to ask them to pay to do this, so the rights should remain free. I think it will be hard to get a cent from 7.

I have already heard that 7 will be arguing they are basically providing a community service at their own cost, and that it would be unreasonable to ask them to pay to do this, so the rights should remain free. I think it will be hard to get a cent from 7.

I agree, in the short term, I see no real increase or they'll get a minimal increase - we're talking 5-6 mill a year, unless Fox goes nuts.

There are proper gripes about they pay and I think they're right about that (as others when they've pointed out the problems with the pay).

They make no money. Why should they get paid at all?

As for whining about being moved to 7Two or 7Mate why should networks have to lose money just because the AFL is losing money?

They make no money. Why should they get paid at all?

As for whining about being moved to 7Two or 7Mate why should networks have to lose money just because the AFL is losing money?
Equal work for equal pay? Then why aren't Nbl players paid as much as NBA players? Why aren't A league players payed as much as premier league players. Why are vafa footballer paid nothing compared to eastern football league players.

Moana hope got over 20k last year for 8 games. Absolute joke they are sooking about money.

Equal work for equal pay? Then why aren't Nbl players paid as much as NBA players? Why aren't A league players payed as much as premier league players. Why are vafa footballer paid nothing compared to eastern football league players.

Moana hope got over 20k last year for 8 games. Absolute joke they are sooking about money.

Gen Ys, huh. Always wanting more. Its really all Gil's fault. If they had grown the game slowly through state leagues they would have launched at a time when the quality was higher. Instead they threw a bunch of poor footballers to the wolves.

Probably because he wont be CEO in 2022 when it was going to launch, and he wanted his glory now. Thing is, why is the Commission signing off on his bad ideas?

Gen Ys, huh. Always wanting more. Its really all Gil's fault. If they had grown the game slowly through state leagues they would have launched at a time when the quality was higher. Instead they threw a bunch of poor footballers to the wolves.

Probably because he wont be CEO in 2022 when it was going to launch, and he wanted his glory now. Thing is, why is the Commission signing off on his bad ideas?

It's just inferior football due to biological realities. I doubt it will ever grab a significant audience.

Well, you would think that Foxtel have an obligation to contribute some part of their $30M from the government hand out to covering the production costs. What is certainly the case is that there is no way that it is in the interest of the AFLW to be constrained to pay TV

But anyway, 7 can only be successful with that attitude if neither of the other two commercial networks are prepared to take it on.

I would have thought both could potentially see an opportunity in it. Alternatively, they all might see it as more harm than its worth given the article that this thread is based on. Might they think that, rather than getting a halo effect from covering the league, they might end up being scapegoated when things fall below the expectations of some?

They're not sooking about money at all! I've not heard any of them sook about money FFS

They're not sooking about money at all! I've not heard any of them sook about money FFS

The Fem-extremists will be lurking in the background ready to pounce.

They might be but the players aren't

No, I'm not critical of any of the women at present.

However, we know what is inevitable when self interest and a social agenda collide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back