Sexual Assault in Football

Remove this Banner Ad

Might depend on who owns the club in the summer. American sports franchise owners generally don't give a s**t about domestic violence or worse.

Valid point, yes. They'd want to be very cautious how to proceed from here and can only imagine the billable hours that are being racked up by their advisors.

Can't say I'm overly surprised. The baffling statements made by her father at the time was an insight into what appears to be a very toxic relationship between Greenwood and her family. Not for a moment do I believe he is innocent, just goes to show the flaws of the legal system that can be navigated by those with the resources and ability to do so. Would be staggered to see him participate in any capacity with United again.
Read a stat that I hope isn’t true. Apparently only 2% of domestic/sexual assault allegations in Britain are proved in court.

On face value and from what we all saw it's not like the police didn't have the evidence to get a conviction so I do wonder what else came out behind closed doors to have the police not progress it.

It's a very tough one for United and either decision will be applauded and booed.

Yeah. The CPS can go to trial without witness cooperation and can rely on their earlier statements. I want to know what information they found out which has caused them not to proceed to trial. They were back together well before he was charged so something must have happened.

On face value and from what we all saw it's not like the police didn't have the evidence to get a conviction so I do wonder what else came out behind closed doors to have the police not progress it.

Only thing that makes sense to me is if they're now claiming it was some sort of ****ed up role play. That could be enough to cast doubt on the tapes when the key witness no longer has any interest in cooperating.

Only thing that makes sense to me is if they're now claiming it was some sort of ****ed up role play. That could be enough to cast doubt on the tapes when the key witness no longer has any interest in cooperating.

I had similar thoughts, I'm sure the club will be privy to it all.

Very difficult for police to carry on with the case when victim/only witness in a case where it’s one word against another will no longer give evidence. Recorded evidence isn’t regarded as solid evidence in many cases

Would Newcastle with their Saudi ownership be an option for him?

Poster boy?

Pay him out and get rid. There isnt a place for him in the squad anyway is there? Under the circumstances shouldnt be too difficult to agree a termination.

The circumstances are the police have dropped all charges, what if Greenwood doesn't agree to the termination? How does it look if United pay him millions of dollars? United are in a lose/lose situation.

Last edited:
Poster boy?

The circumstances are the police have dropped all charges, what is Greenwood doesn't agree to the termination? How does it look if United pay him millions of dollars? United are in a lose/lose situation.

Yes, it is a difficult one. His wages wouldn't be much coming from youf would they? If it were me in charge I'd pursue a contract termination and failing that just pay out his remaining contract and get rid. If you don't pay him out he just hangs around for 2 and a half years anyway until his contract expires causing a huge distraction to the club. The only 2 real options are reintegrate him completely back into the squad / back him publicly or pay him out and remove him from the club.

Anything in between is only going to make things worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also how ****ed is it that we have a dedicated thread for sexual assault in football. These people are in a position of privilege that 99.99% of the world can only dream of. They must be held to a higher standard than the everyday person but here we are seeing regular reports of sexual assault by footballers. It is ****ed that this happens at the frequency it does in the game of football.

Poster boy?

The circumstances are the police have dropped all charges, what is Greenwood doesn't agree to the termination? How does it look if United pay him millions of dollars? United are in a lose/lose situation.
Agree with that. Opening yourselves up to a civil suit if you sack him now he’s “not guilty”.

Reckon he’ll either find a club outside England willing to take him and you’ll release him or he’ll wind down the contract.

s**t position for the club to be really.

Yes, it is a difficult one. His wages wouldn't be much coming from youf would they? If it were me in charge I'd pursue a contract termination and failing that just pay out his remaining contract and get rid. If you don't pay him out he just hangs around for 2 and a half years anyway until his contract expires causing a huge distraction to the club. The only 2 real options are reintegrate him completely back into the squad / back him publicly or pay him out and remove him from the club.

Anything in between is only going to make things worse.

Contract ends June 2025, he gets 75k a week. Signed as he was becoming a breakout star at the club. It's not some piddly little pay off cost.

Thought this would end up happening when you consider her old man's public comments in support of MG when the allegations broke and then the revelation a few months a go that Greenwood had been breaching bail conditions by still living with his accuser. Shows just why clubs can't immediately react and terminate contracts based on allegations.

We all heard the tapes though...I doubt he'll feature for United again and I think any English club stupid enough to show any interest would quickly walk away once they're faced with the inevitably massive public backlash.

Greenwood is done in English football you would imagine. If he wants to continue his career it will be in some far flung Eastern European league, ME league or China Super League. No A-League club would touch him - the publicity alone would be a killer.

Contract ends June 2025, he gets 75k a week. Signed as he was becoming a breakout star at the club. It's not some piddly little pay off cost.

Fair enough, paying out 2.5 years would be a big whack. One possibility is threaten to ostracize him from the club ie he trains by himself separately with no hope of ever playing. Give him that option or a contract termination with half the remaining term paid out.

It will be an absolute headache for whoever has to sort it out, that much is for sure.

Pay him out and get rid. There isnt a place for him in the squad anyway is there? Under the circumstances shouldnt be too difficult to agree a termination.
Yeah, exactly what pantskyle said mate. It’s a bloody hard situation to be in.

Agree with that. Opening yourselves up to a civil suit if you sack him now he’s “not guilty”.

Reckon he’ll either find a club outside England willing to take him and you’ll release him or he’ll wind down the contract.

s**t position for the club to be really.

His agent will probably whore him out to every Saudi club and he will wind up getting paid more than United paid him.

Fair enough, paying out 2.5 years would be a big whack. One possibility is threaten to ostracize him from the club ie he trains by himself separately with no hope of ever playing. Give him that option or a contract termination with half the remaining term paid out.

It will be an absolute headache for whoever has to sort it out, that much is for sure.

Yeah dunno how constructive dismissal would go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back