Sexual Assault in Football

In no way is this a dig at the poor victim.

But is posting that online going to help Partey avoid punishment? Or was he so unlikely of anything happening that at least it's out there and people can see what a piece of s**t he was without all the secrecy protecting his case?
It sullies his reputation and the only way to clear it would be a libel court case, hard to clear his name if he were guilty. But if innocent you'd think he'd do it to clear his name.

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
It sullies his reputation and the only way to clear it would be a libel court case, hard to clear his name if he were guilty. But if innocent you'd think he'd do it to clear his name.
From what I've read potentially with multiple charges this one might not matter in him being sent to jail. My thoughts were he wouldn't be able to get a fair trail for what he did to her with evidence widely shared in advance. Heck papers can't even name him to protect his right for a fair trail.

Have Arsenal made a statement yet?

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Nah, no statement.

They can’t make an official statement because the player is still entitled to anonymity by law. I’ve seen a couple of “statements” by the “club in question” though like this one via The Guardian today.

“As stated previously, we have confirmed that the player denies the allegations,” a statement read. “The police have issued a statement saying they are not taking any further action on one of the allegations and the player has had his bail extended pending the outcome of their inquiries. There have been no charges laid and the player can fulfil his professional commitments.
“We take our commitments and responsibilities seriously and have followed our safeguarding policies and procedures. We will keep this matter under close consideration and will review further if circumstances change.”

When the girl accused him of rape and he didn't argue with her? The screenshots were posted in the relevant thread.

He's not guilty on a technicality of jurisdictions and timing of laws.

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
When the girl accused him of rape and he didn't argue with her? The screenshots were posted in the relevant thread.

He's not guilty on a technicality of jurisdictions and timing of laws.
Why would he argue with her? Assuming he’s got some good lawyers, I’m sure they’d have advised against arguing with her.

Why would he argue with her? Assuming he’s got some good lawyers, I’m sure they’d have advised against arguing with her.

I mean he didn't deny it, he continued the conversation and justified what he did.

EDIT: Looks like the tweets have been deleted or I'd repost them here. Basically her saying something like "You can't * me while I'm asleep and can't give you permission" and him saying "Why not?".

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
I mean he didn't deny it, he continued the conversation and justified what he did.

EDIT: Looks like the tweets have been deleted or I'd repost them here. Basically her saying something like "You can't * me while I'm asleep and can't give you permission" and him saying "Why not?".

That‘s crazy! 😳

He will probably argue there was a language barrier.

Mar 11, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool, Patriots & UConn
I personally wouldn't have a problem with the PL (or FIFA, etc.) having an external disciplinary process instead of relying on a criminal justice system that we know is awful at getting convictions for sexual assault and gendered violence. Even the NFL, hardly a moral standard bearer, is able to suspend and punish players who don't get criminally convicted.

Thomas Partey playing while everyone has seen his messages admitting to sexual assault is a blight on the game.

Last edited:

Gambit78

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Arsenal

Yeah, but it's a dangerous game to base a criminal charge on a set of text messages posted on social media. Police will have to look into context and the like. Their investigation required an extension of time. There's so much being said at the moment - for instance, the constant rumour that they were engaged after these occurrences and that a threat to 'expose him' if he refused to marry her was what lead to this... point is, so much conjecture is going around that it feels like he's as likely innocent as he is guilty. Who knows? What should the club do? Damage is done either way.

Yeah, but it's a dangerous game to base a criminal charge on a set of text messages posted on social media. Police will have to look into context and the like. Their investigation required an extension of time. There's so much being said at the moment - for instance, the constant rumour that they were engaged after these occurrences and that a threat to 'expose him' if he refused to marry her was what lead to this... point is, so much conjecture is going around that it feels like he's as likely innocent as he is guilty. Who knows? What should the club do? Damage is done either way.

The club should stand him down with full pay until he's cleared for his benefit as much as the organisation's. Just as happens in other codes.

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
The club should stand him down with full pay until he's cleared for his benefit as much as the organisation's. Just as happens in other codes.
Yep legally can't stop him earning his wage until guilt is proven in court. But * it's a bad look playing him and being rightly booed every touch he gets

Gambit78

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Arsenal
Do they need to announce it?
Probably not. And if questioned, the club could just say 'personal reasons' and leave it at that. What's the point of all this anonymity? Everyone knows... although, having said that, I won't type his name here.
They said an unnamed first team player would be stood down after being arrested/questioned by police
Okay. So there's precedent. Which begs the question why the club haven't stood him down. I mean, love them or hate them, they don't strike me as that type of cold, heartless club to harbour a rapist for the sake of squad balance...

Back