Sexual Assault in Football

Remove this Banner Ad

If you believed you were innocent, would you accept being stood down, losing your chances of bonuses etc and putting your career on hold while the police investigate?

Not sure I would.

Not sure you should get the choice. Codes like the NRL have specific policy in place for this reason. If the EPL doesn't then fair enough but there must be something if Everton were able to stand down Siggy.

Not sure you should get the choice. Codes like the NRL have specific policy in place for this reason. If the EPL doesn't then fair enough but there must be something if Everton were able to stand down Siggy.

Every case differs. Looking at the Neymar case it would have been a travisty of justice if he were to be stood down (he was cleared only after releasing damning evidence against his accuser publicly).

Whereas the likes of Mendy & Greenwood had some pretty irrefutable evidence against them and were stood down pretty quickly.

An accusation on its own should not be enough to see a player sidelined for fairly obvious reasons. Clubs and the justice system are not stupid either.

Not aware of the evidence in the Mendy case, but the fact he's been charged means he can be stood down without running the risk of a breach of contract.

Until then, it's probably down to a mutual decision between player and club.

Greenwood was originally arrested on suspicion of sexual assault and threats to kill. The charges are serious but a significant downgrade on the arrest allegations. He's not accused of rape or sexual assault. The charges of attempted rape and engaging in controlling and coercive behaviour might prove contentious given their history of a relationship. Occasioning actual bodily harm is on the lower end of assault charges. There's some weird stuff with the girl's dad that will be looked into. Depending on how the case goes he's looking at up to 5 years inside or an acquittal. You would think his Premier League and international career is over.

Witnesses walked their statements back and New information came to light.... Would like to know what that new information was.
They didn't walk back their statements they just decided to withdraw co-operation. Unfortunately this doesn't necessarily mean he's innocent or guilty.

All charges against Mason Greenwood dropped after key witnesses withdrew their involvement.

In this case a combination of the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material that came to light meant there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction. In these circumstances, we are under a duty to stop the case.​

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They didn't walk back their statements they just decided to withdraw co-operation. Unfortunately this doesn't necessarily mean he's innocent or guilty.
No it doesn't. As I said I'd be interested to know what this new information is as the key witness withdrew her cooperation a long time ago. Greenwood and his girlfriend got back together after about 3 months iirc. Bet her dad is delighted. He got what he wanted.

That's insane. We all heard the recording and saw the pictures. I'd be massively disappointed in Manchester United if they ever let him play for them again.
Doesn't seem to matter these days if you have enough cash or fame. If he doesn't play then they have to sell him or let his contract run down. Think he has until 2025.

Thought this would end up happening when you consider her old man's public comments in support of MG when the allegations broke and then the revelation a few months a go that Greenwood had been breaching bail conditions by still living with his accuser. Shows just why clubs can't immediately react and terminate contracts based on allegations.

We all heard the tapes though...I doubt he'll feature for United again and I think any English club stupid enough to show any interest would quickly walk away once they're faced with the inevitably massive public backlash.

I personally had no idea about that.
Yeah. The CPS can go to trial without witness cooperation and can rely on their earlier statements. I want to know what information they found out which has caused them not to proceed to trial. They were back together well before he was charged so something must have happened.

What a letdown for the victim this is. We all saw those videos and pictures and a witness ends up withdrawing.

She was the one who withdrew the charges though

Can't say I'm overly surprised. The baffling statements made by her father at the time was an insight into what appears to be a very toxic relationship between Greenwood and her family. Not for a moment do I believe he is innocent, just goes to show the flaws of the legal system that can be navigated by those with the resources and ability to do so. Would be staggered to see him participate in any capacity with United again.

Can't say I'm overly surprised. The baffling statements made by her father at the time was an insight into what appears to be a very toxic relationship between Greenwood and her family. Not for a moment do I believe he is innocent, just goes to show the flaws of the legal system that can be navigated by those with the resources and ability to do so. Would be staggered to see him participate in any capacity with United again.
Might depend on who owns the club in the summer. American sports franchise owners generally don't give a s**t about domestic violence or worse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back