Autopsy SF: Geelong 100-32 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty sure they will sleep like logs, not an easy year and they also had to go through that quarantine bullshit in the West. What a crock that was, no other team was subjected to that for finals.
Hi all, bad luck, it looked like the season caught up with your boys tonight.

No doubt played poorly & there’s some gaps in the list that need to be filled to get back to the top, but I’m not telling you anything you already know.

Realistically if they wanted it to be fair, WA should not have been included in the finals fixture because of the strict quarantining, it just wasn’t fair on you blokes. Sure let WC decide where they want to play, but not in WA. But that was a great result!

Mentally they clearly weren’t prepared & as much as no one likes excuses, players aren’t robots & this quarantining & travelling got to them, because Collingwood are not as bad as they showed tonight. To beat WC at home the week before shows that.

Anyway, no idea who I want the to win now. All the best.

Hi all, bad luck, it looked like the season caught up with your boys tonight.

No doubt played poorly & there’s some gaps in the list that need to be filled to get back to the top, but I’m not telling you anything you already know.

Realistically if they wanted it to be fair, WA should not have been included in the finals fixture because of the strict quarantining, it just wasn’t fair on you blokes. Sure let WC decide where they want to play, but not in WA. But that was a great result!

Mentally they clearly weren’t prepared & as much as no one likes excuses, players aren’t robots & this quarantining & travelling got to them, because Collingwood are not as bad as they showed tonight. To beat WC at home the week before shows that.

Anyway, no idea who I want the to win now. All the best.

Longmuir was a big loss. You did well getting him, he really seems to have been the a key driver at the pies.

I know people hate it when you make excuses,and I understand that,but physical and mental fatigue was clearly a factor tonight.The players couldn’t run,tackle,shepherd,or even man the mark tonight.We only had about 200 possessions,which must be a record low for us.That’s the sign of a very tired team.It was exactly how we played Melbourne earlier in the year when we were playing our fourth game in 14 days.If you look at our game with Geelong in round seven and compare it to tonight’s performance,it was like chalk and cheese.We literally didn’t look like the same team
So who's at fault? It's been 10 years and the record has not been good.

It is with great sadness and a heavy heart that I'll be submitting my final match report in 2020, after Collingwood produced a listless first half against Geelong to lose their final game of the season to the tune of 68 points. The Magpies were only able to boot one goal in three quarters of footy, before fighting the last quarter out with a flurry of consolation goals to minimise the damage. The Cats were able to convert the bulk of their set shots early, while denying the Woods any meaningful threat they had on the scoreboard. Geelong maintained possession at will with their uncontested marking game making it impossible for Collingwood to intercept their kicks. Once the Cats decided to play on by dishing the footy off with handballs, they were able to draw Collingwood's defence towards them, which allowed Geelong's forwards time and space to find targets much more easily, whereas the Magpies had stagnant ball movement and forward entries that were chopped off before the Cats were able to rebound fluently without any pressure. Collingwood could not generate any transition from defence which got closed down, the midfielders were beaten to the ball, and the forwards were reduced to spectators at times throughout the night.

The only statistical categories Collingwood won were hit-outs by +18 (37 - 19) and tackles had a margin of +4 (50 - 46). That's it! Every other category was won by Geelong. The Cats won disposals by +158 (358 - 200), kicks were won by +108 (228 - 120), while handballs had a differential of +50 (130 - 80). Contested possessions were +22 (107 - 85), +142 for uncontested possessions (251 - 109) and won intercept possessions by +10 (54 - 44), while clearances had a differential of +13 (34 - 21), with centre clearances won by +3 (12 - 9), and stoppage clearances were won by +10 (22 - 12). Marks were comprehensively won by +88 (134 - 46), with a margin of +82 for uncontested marks (120 - 38), +6 for Contested Marks (14 - 8), and Marks Inside 50 were won by +12 (17 - 5), with Inside 50s won by +16 (46 - 30), while Tackles Inside 50 was +2 in Geelong's favour (10 - 8).

Adam Treloar (18 disposals @ 67%, 206 metres gained, 8 contested possessions, 10 uncontested possessions, 8 kicks, 10 handballs, 3 marks, 4 tackles, 3 score involvements, 4 clearances, 2 centre clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 2 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) was the leading ball winner for the Woods, yet he did not do much damage with the ball when he won possession.

Taylor Adams (17 disposals @ 47%, 308 metres gained, 11 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 12 kicks, 5 handballs, 5 tackles, 4 clearances, 2 centre clearances, 2 stoppage clearances & 4 Inside 50s) recovered from an elbow injury to play out the remainder of the game. Adams was unable to use the ball effectively under pressure.

Jordan De Goey (14 disposals @ 64%, 190 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 10 uncontested possessions, 7 kicks, 7 handballs, 4 marks, 2 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) found himself in starvation corner for much of the opening term, so De Goey was put into the midfield to win the ball and still could not have any impact on the game.

Scott Pendlebury (14 disposals @ 57%, 285 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 9 uncontested possessions, 8 kicks, 6 handballs, 2 tackles, 3 score involvements & 3 Inside 50s) was unable to find time and space to display his attributes, which made the team look lifeless and pedestrian. Spent lengthy periods on the bench which was mind-boggling as he didn't appear to be injured at all which was very strange.

Brodie Grundy (10 disposals @ 70%, 102 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 3 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 20 hit-outs, 3 kicks, 7 handballs, 2 tackles, 3 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 centre clearances & 1 goal) had a relatively poor game, yet he was still able to win hit-outs that weren't accurate before chiming in with a goal. Bucks did say that Grundy has not been carrying an injury and has been fully fit for the entire season. Enjoy the break until January 6, 2021, Brodie. I want you firing on all cylinders from the opening game in March.

Jamie Elliott (10 disposals @ 50%, 239 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 5 uncontested possessions, 9 kicks, 4 marks, 3 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 3 score involvements, 6 clearances, 2 centre clearances, 4 stoppage clearances, 2 Inside 50s & 1 goal) kicked Collingwood's only goal in the first quarter, after having begun the game in the middle before having stints up forward. Elliott was Collingwood's best clearance player for the evening.

Jack Crisp (13 disposals @ 54%, 273 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 7 uncontested possessions, 7 intercept possessions, 11 kicks, 2 handballs, 6 marks, 2 Contested Marks, 5 tackles, 2 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) could not generate significant transition and ball movement from defence, as he was considerably scrappy and sloppy at stages.

Darcy Moore (10 disposals @ 60%, 148 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 5 kicks, 5 handballs, 4 marks, 2 Contested Marks & 3 Rebound 50s) had a game he would like to forget in a hurry. Made uncharacteristic blunders after taking marks that I would not have imagined from him.

Josh Thomas (14 disposals @ 64%, 223 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 8 uncontested possessions, 6 kicks, 8 handballs, 2 tackles, 3 score involvements, 3 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances & 4 Inside 50s) was the only forward that worked hard to win the ball. Minimal damage followed whenever he won the ball.

Brody Mihocek (6 disposals @ 83%, 164 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 3 uncontested possessions, 5 kicks, 2 marks, 2 tackles, 2 score involvements & 2 goals) bobbed up late in the game with two majors to offer any remote respectability that there was to the scoreboard. Mihocek, like all of his teammates, was not able to perform when the game was there to be won in the first half.

With Collingwood signing off in 2020, I will look forward to their return home to Melbourne. I will look forward to list management decisions that the club will make ahead of the 2021 season, while waiting for the 2021 Premiership Season fixture to be released next month, which is my favourite aspect of footy in the pre-season. I will continue with the Woods as a club member in 2021, with an eye to being able to attend games at the MCG and Marvel Stadium for the duration of the season, which every Victorian-based member wants to happen in the coming months. Collingwood's headquarters will have a new name as the club's partnership with Holden expires at the end of this year. Until 2021, may the Force be with Collingwood, me and us.

View attachment 982346

Brayden Sier

Height - 6' 3"
Weight - 87 kgs

Rupert Wills took his spot at some point last year and seemed to do just enough to retain that spot. Since Rupe was dropped many games ago though now I'm surprised Sier hasn't got a single game in the backhalf of this season. Seems the coaches wanna pump games into the Brown brothers instead.

I think we'll end up trading him.
I just don't get the story with this guy. He had a great season in 2018 and everything since has been a disappointment, although he played OK in the one 2020 game he was selected. He seems to fill an obvious need yet is so obviously out of favour with the club. Unfortunately I too think he will be traded.

I just don't get the story with this guy. He had a great season in 2018 and everything since has been a disappointment, although he played OK in the one 2020 game he was selected. He seems to fill an obvious need yet is so obviously out of favour with the club. Unfortunately I too think he will be traded.

Agree, he really needs to work hard on his fitness cos he seems to lose condition easily. I get the feeling he dropped his bundle a bit when the club went and got Beams who in theory was going to take his role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The following players played the worst game of their careers, in a crunch final:
Jack Crisp
Adam Treloar
Darcy Moore
John Noble
Jack Madgen
Brodie Grundy
Chris Mayne
Will Hoskin-Elliott
Jaidyn Stephenson
Jordan Roughead
Brayden Maynard
Jordan De Goey
True dat...
The following team played an incredible game to perfection plan against us.
Geelong fat hoops...
Our best last week and our worst are laid bare for all to see, and hear, in a Nathan soliloquy

Common mate your way to nice, we have had Buckley as senior coach topping up the list with crap and burning early draft picks which has got us nothing!
You see Rocca and Lockyer as the root of all our problems?

You do realise that Buckley isn't list manager don't you? Not defending Bucks as his game plan and tactics have been largely s**t house all season (apart from last week), but at least be informed about who does what before you start chucking grenades.

You do realise that Buckley isn't list manager don't you? Not defending Bucks as his game plan and tactics have been largely sh*t house all season (apart from last week), but at least be informed about who does what before you start chucking grenades.
yes i do , thats why i think we need a complete overhaul of the footy department and Buckley&freinds.

yes i do , thats why i think we need a complete overhaul of the footy department and Buckley&freinds.

You clearly don't if you think Bucks is the one who brings players into the club, either during trade period or in the draft.

He might have input into the process yes, but the list manager is primarily responsible for assembling the playing list.

It's ok though - with it being the first day of our off-season I guess we don't have to worry about letting facts get in the way of our initial post-season melts.

You clearly don't if you think Bucks is the one who brings players into the club, either during trade period or in the draft.

He might have input into the process yes, but the list manager is primarily responsible for assembling the playing list.

It's ok though - with it being the first day of our off-season I guess we don't have to worry about letting facts get in the way of our initial post-season melts.
If a list manager ever brings a mature player into a list without the coaches approval I’d be amazed.

If a list manager ever brings a mature player into a list without the coaches approval I’d be amazed.
Bucks has the final say though. He says yay or nay when a list manager says.... “do you want this guy on the list?”. No list manager recruits anyone without the coaches blessing. (Excluding draft picks)

It’s ok to to be pissed off. I got through that after 20 min.

Unless you truly believe that they just didn’t try and gave up, then you just have to accept that what you saw was reality. They were spent and they had no energy to draw on.

From the opening bounce?
Id buy it if we had a 2nd half fade out but imo we slightly improved in the 2nd half, wasnt all because we were spent.

Whilst yes we looked flat there were plenty of other issues that are present most weeks they just got exacerbated.

Cats thrash us and are in the running for Cameron from GWS and Higgins from Kangas.Pies probably looking at player departures similar to Aish last year due to salary cap problems.Certainly need to get the elite performers to earn their pay packet next year injuries permitting.

I said the footy department then seperetally Buckley and fri

i thought the fact that i mentioned the football department separately to Buckley and freinds meaning Sanderdon and co the coaching stuff you would be able to understand were i am comming from.Which you dont , you just come to your own conclusion.
I am not having a meltdown thanks for your concern, just stating the blatent obvious that Buckley has failed as a coach at Collingwood and needs to be replaced.
The football department have done a crap job recently wasting our first round draft picks on players like Beams wasting second rounders on players like Murray, and clogging the salary cap with Wells , and we have a list of next to nothing key positional players apart from Moore and Grundy and young W Kelly who may be good

Last edited:
Here, here Buckley - cats too good, us nothing left. Discovered that within the first couple of minutes. GPS numbers down.
I think these stats are often about game style rather than about energy levels or effort. We structured up our zone defence protecting the corridor and down the line. They had their plan to move and chip it around patiently and safely. So our blokes spent a lot of time just moving 15 metres sideways. Not as many contests or backwards and forwards running, as you'd get with a team that pulled the trigger quicker. Thus pressure acts and GPS numbers would be down

There's no excuses for a game that bad.

Yes we had to travel interstate, so did Geelong the week before.

Salary cap issues?! FMD there's no one that deserves getting paid after that.

Covid? Yeah I'm sure living with your family in a luxury Queensland hotel was rough, but I have not seen my parents since May due to my stupidity of living more than 5kms away.

Injured players? Yeah, I'm sure Howe and Sidey were good for 15 goals between them!

If I was that bad at my job, I'd be in jail and I'm definitely not on 6 figures

Tough year, yes. Losing like that? No, unforgivable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back