Lifestyle SFA Fitness Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Definitely prioritise your footy, especially as your at a high level for it.

Wouldn't your coaches would want repeat long sprint training rather than extended jogs?
It was my choice doing it šŸ˜­ I wanted to be a better runner lol

It was my choice doing it šŸ˜­ I wanted to be a better runner lol

You're at a stage of physical development, I would probably listen to your coaches or getting a physical trainer with a speciality on AFL development.

It may be fun running the 10k but your AFL is definitely more important in the long term :)

There are also different types of running, might be worth focussing more on sprint's and explosive power for the moment, or shorter endurance events (2 and 3k).

You're at a stage of physical development, I would probably listen to your coaches or getting a physical trainer with a speciality on AFL development.

It may be fun running the 10k but your AFL is definitely more important in the long term :)

There are also different types of running, might be worth focussing more on sprint's and explosive power for the moment, or shorter endurance events (2 and 3k).
Thatā€™s so true ur the best šŸ„°šŸ„°

Do you do much conditioning work for fencing? How does training work?

Thatā€™s so true ur the best šŸ„°šŸ„°

Do you do much conditioning work for fencing? How does training work?

I fence Sabre so it tends to be short bursts (imagine doing short 5-10 second bursts, resetting and going again over and over and over).

Because of this I tend to do a lot of H.I.I.T work with a preference to explosive movements whilst adding in cardio between exercises and weights to build strength without putting on a huge amount of size.

An idea of one of my workouts.

Ten minutes cardio
Resistance band jog 1 minute
Resistance band sled pull 1 minute
Resistance band medium run 1 minute
Then 50 metre sprints followed by 30x pulse squats and repeat for the last 5 minutes (as many reps as you can)

Upper body for 10 minutes (each with barbells), each exercise for 1 minute and repeat
incline curls,
Incline dumbell shoulder press,
Lateral raise
Goblet curls,
Let go push ups,
1 min each repeat

Repeat the cardio

Then legs for ten minutes, each exercise for 1 minute and repeat.
Goblet squats - heavy dumbbell
Hip thrusts with dumbbell
Reverse lunges with dumbbell
Step ups with heavy
Then jump squats with light dumbbell

Some days I might supplement the running with boxing, or perform exercise inbetween fencing drills to simulate being tired though.

Had a bad experience in Manila during dance of the flamers. Serviceman put toilet paper up there bum and run as far and fast as they can. Anyway I only used 1ply and made it 12 metres before I was in serious pain in the backside.

Iā€™m much better off for it now.

Doing hash house harriers certainly keeps you fit.

I fence Sabre so it tends to be short bursts (imagine doing short 5-10 second bursts, resetting and going again over and over and over).

Because of this I tend to do a lot of H.I.I.T work with a preference to explosive movements whilst adding in cardio between exercises and weights to build strength without putting on a huge amount of size.

An idea of one of my workouts.

Ten minutes cardio
Resistance band jog 1 minute
Then 50 metre sprints followed by 30x pulse squats and repeat for the last 5 minutes (as many reps as you can)

Upper body for 10 minutes (each with barbells), each exercise for 1 minute and repeat
incline curls,
Incline dumbell shoulder press,
Lateral raise
Goblet curls,
Let go push ups,
1 min each repeat

Repeat the cardio

Then legs for ten minutes, each exercise for 1 minute and repeat.
Goblet squats - heavy dumbbell
Hip thrusts with dumbbell
Reverse lunges with dumbbell
Step ups with heavy
Then jump squats with light dumbbell

Some days I might supplement the running with boxing, or perform exercise inbetween fencing drills to simulate being tired though.
Wow tbh that sounds like hell LOL

Do it, the 10km and footy training will complement each other nicely.
Goosey - my hammy is ****ed lol thatā€™s why Iā€™m contemplating not doing it

Have you ever had troubles with your hamstringsšŸ™šŸ¼
I haven't.
Strength sessions and making sure your core is strong is probably key to injury management if you are running regularly.
Also combine slow running (which builds condition) with fast stuff.

Wow tbh that sounds like hell LOL
You have to learn to love the pain! Develop a different mindset and just keep pushing to get to the next level - you'll see results (or so I've read ... I'm just having a nap at the moment :) )

IMG_7182 2 Medium.jpeg

Seriously though, you clearly have ambitions to get to a high level in footy, grab any opportunities you get and make any changes which will help you achieve your goals; give yourself the best shot. :heart:

Here's Luke Hodge's impact on the Lions for inspiration: :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have to learn to love the pain! Develop a different mindset and just keep pushing to get to the next level - you'll see results (or so I've read ... I'm just having a nap at the moment :) )

View attachment 1564758

Seriously though, you clearly have ambitions to get to a high level in footy, grab any opportunities you get and make any changes which will help you achieve your goals; give yourself the best shot. :heart:

FLEA U LEGEND

Lol. Luke Hodge - the guy who clearly has always had issues with overeating, who got done drink-driving, and was famous for nearly decapitating Robbie Gray with the goal post - is lionised (pun intended) for setting eating, drinking and playing standards. Will also note the irony of Dayne Zorko talking about his influence as a leader on the younger generation.

Not having a go, just found it funny.

Lol. Luke Hodge - the guy who clearly has always had issues with overeating, who got done drink-driving, and was famous for nearly decapitating Robbie Gray with the goal post - is lionised (pun intended) for setting eating, drinking and playing standards. Will also note the irony of Dayne Zorko talking about his influence as a leader on the younger generation.

Beez do you play any sports lol dodgeball?

Beez do you play any sports lol dodgeball?
I used to play a lot of tennis. My slice backhand was better than Steffi Graf's. I did an Ash Barty and retired at the top of my game before the punk kids had the chance to humble me.

Not that I practise a lot of it myself, but I am very interested in health and nutrition and how the vast majority of ailments we develop as humans are because of our poor eating habits. As someone who has always battled addicted tendencies, the sooner we as a society approach our poor diets in the same manner as alcohol and drug addiction, the more success we'll have in addressing the multitude of health issues from processed foods.

Luke Hodge: prime example.

I used to play a lot of tennis. My slice backhand was better than Steffi Graf's. I did an Ash Barty and retired at the top of my game before the punk kids had the chance to humble me.

Not that I practise a lot of it myself, but I am very interested in health and nutrition and how the vast majority of ailments we develop as humans are because of our poor eating habits. As someone who has always battled addicted tendencies, the sooner we as a society approach our poor diets in the same manner as alcohol and drug addiction, the more success we'll have in addressing the multitude of health issues from processed foods.

Awesome beez!

Preach that! Massive respect to u

the sooner we as a society approach our poor diets in the same manner as alcohol and drug addiction
Any decade now...

check-watch-late.gif

Should we print warning labels on each individual chip like the Government is going to attempt with cigarettes?

Definitely in his younger years (although it's clear he still likes his food! :tearsofjoy:) Takes one to know one - he knew better than anyone that it wasn't the way for an elite sports team to get the most out of themselves. Not his fault Zorko's a bit of a dork.

I understand the confusion given theyā€™re both pretty boys but Luke Hodge tried to decapitate Chad Wingard not Robbie Gray mate.

I love running.
Trail running my very favourite.
I'm not in great shape at the moment but lifting my k's as I'm running Chicago marathon next year.
My long term goal is to complete the 6 majors in this order New York, Tokyo (both of which I have done) Chicago, Berlin, London and Boston)
Most of this I have said before

Remove this Banner Ad

Back