SFA pets

Remove this Banner Ad

What’s with the giant tub of food? They’re going to s**t all over that before they can eat it.
Storage and mixing tub. They eat seeds, plus pellets and fresh fruits and veges. I mix the various seed and pellet packets in a big tub for ease of feeding.

And both of them are courteous enough to climb off me before crapping. Most of the time, anyway. They don't pay my wife or kid the same courtesy.

Storage and mixing tub. They eat seeds, plus pellets and fresh fruits and veges. I mix the various seed and pellet packets in a big tub for ease of feeding.

And both of them are courteous enough to climb off me before crapping. Most of the time, anyway. They don't pay my wife or kid the same courtesy.
That tub has to end up full of s**t. I’ve had birds...

That tub has to end up full of s**t. I’ve had birds...
No, this is like a 5 minute thing in the morning, when they come out of their cages for "bekfuss" while I cut up some fresh food for them.

Yes, their food bowls inside their cages do get dirty

My favourite birdy birdy, who convinced me that birds are properly smart, was a rescued Noisy Miner fledgling. Brought to me at deaths door by my then step daughter, I kept this little bird safe with me, dripped it water to start with, and then gave it meal worms and made “him” strong. Within days I let him out of his cage in my office, had him happy and jumping around and shitting on my shoulder all day. Happy as anything, chirping away constantly, shitting everywhere.

I let him out into the rest of the house with a stern warning to the dog.

We went everywhere together. I’m working, he’s chirping away shitting on my shoulder. I’m asleep, he’s asleep and shitting on my shoulder.

Eventually he was strong. One day I’m getting ready to do the dishes with hot, hot water, and I can see him. Instantly dump the hot water, fill the sink with room temperature water, call him over. In he goes. The funniest thing I have ever. This beautiful little birdy jumped straight in, went totally nuts, and spread water over a quarter of the kitchen.

This was our pattern for a week or so.

Then I took him outside. If girl, would stay. If boy, would go. The third time I took him outside he flew off from me as normal. Turned. Looked at me. Said goodbye. My heart sank. Bang, gone like an arrow.

Smart.

One of the best things about moving back to Adelaide has been getting to see the family dogs again, I've missed them. And unlike most people my age we didn't get dogs until I was 14, so these are still my childhood friends in a way that we've never had to replace and I should get to chill with them for a while yet.

1582477783289.png

1582477561484.png

This is Grace, or Gracie. She's turning 6 this year and she's a Catahoula/Staffie cross. She's always been the absolute gentlest soul, never gets worked up and loves just curling up and napping or getting a pet.
1582478165677.png

1582477670983.png

And then this is Opie, who's a blue heeler/AmStaff cross. We were always meant to just have one dog but we did a lot of fostering for a rescue group and my dad fell in love with him. He's a very dopey boy, very exciteable and active compared to Grace. Definitely still has the puppy mentality even at 4 compared to Grace who has acted like an old dog since she was an actual puppy.

And as a bonus, here's some photos of the various dogs my family fostered over a 2 year period. We were helping out a rescue group and had at least one foster at the house at a time. Was actually really good because I was extremely anxious around dogs up until that time but fostering completely changed that.

1582477899486.png

1582477954766.png

1582477980109.png

1582478063726.png

One of the best things about moving back to Adelaide has been getting to see the family dogs again, I've missed them. And unlike most people my age we didn't get dogs until I was 14, so these are still my childhood friends in a way that we've never had to replace and I should get to chill with them for a while yet.

View attachment 828008

View attachment 828006

This is Grace, or Gracie. She's turning 6 this year and she's a Catahoula/Staffie cross. She's always been the absolute gentlest soul, never gets worked up and loves just curling up and napping or getting a pet.
View attachment 828013

View attachment 828007

And then this is Opie, who's a blue heeler/AmStaff cross. We were always meant to just have one dog but we did a lot of fostering for a rescue group and my dad fell in love with him. He's a very dopey boy, very exciteable and active compared to Grace. Definitely still has the puppy mentality even at 4 compared to Grace who has acted like an old dog since she was an actual puppy.

And as a bonus, here's some photos of the various dogs my family fostered over a 2 year period. We were helping out a rescue group and had at least one foster at the house at a time. Was actually really good because I was extremely anxious around dogs up until that time but fostering completely changed that.

View attachment 828009

View attachment 828010

View attachment 828011

View attachment 828012
Absolutely bloody beautiful pups.

View attachment 828008

View attachment 828006

View attachment 828013

View attachment 828007

View attachment 828009

View attachment 828010

View attachment 828011

View attachment 828012
Oh my god. ❤️

Absolutely bloody beautiful pups.

I've got some more photos I'll post later today. It was actually amazing having so many puppies through here but also sad at just how many were being abandoned and rescued, especially in such a small portion of Darwin.

I've got some more photos I'll post later today. It was actually amazing having so many puppies through here but also sad at just how many were being abandoned and rescued, especially in such a small portion of Darwin.
There were a lot of strays up around our area when I lived up there.

Great pix Dav. Fostering is a great thing. Kudos to you and your family.

Here's some more of our foster pups as promised.

1582513631934.png
1582513677041.png
1582513699393.png
1582513719785.png
1582513738938.png
1582513802652.png
1582513873017.png

(and this is what the little scoundrel above did to me)
1582513902035.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We also have a dog. She will end up with hip displacia problems. 20180113_173230.jpg
Plus a snake, assorted insects and about 200 fishes. OMG, WE BOUGHT A ZOO!

Time to share pictures of my boys 😍

First, the one that is actually mine, Artie:
received_985635188488338.jpeg
He's almost 13 now and as fit as ever. When I loved out, his cage got moved to the lounge room. Every day he gets let out, flies to my room and sits in the cupboard all day. Comes out at about 6, has dinner and maybe sits with mum for a bit then it's bed time. He's a bit weird. Can talk a bit but often doesn't. Says hello, where's Matt, puppy dog (we call him puppy because he used to mimic barking), what's the puppy doing, sings Imperial March and Pop Goes The Weasel (often a mashup).

This is our ringneck Rocco.
Resized_20191213_091935.jpeg
He was a rescue I guess, about 6 years ago. No idea how old he is. Will happily sit on your shoulder all day and is so so pleasant natured. But not a fan of scratches or pats. We think maybe his last owners might have been a bit cruel to him. Here he is trying to get into the apples. He talks too, says hello, good boy, kiss, whatcha doing.

Next up is Oscar, a conure.
Resized_20190718_083340.jpeg
He is the biggest sook of the lot but he's also a little shithead. Just like yours, Ant Bear, he is super intelligent. He knows if I say "want a treat?" it means he has to go into his cage and wait on the perch for me to give him a treat. He says many things: hello, hello baby, sook, good sook, good boy, baby sook, do a dump, little s**t, gimme kiss, shake. Hated me before I moved out but now won't leave me alone if I'm around.

We also have another conure but I don't have a pic of him. He did belong to my cousin but she wasn't really giving him the attention he needed so we've got him now. His name is Cheeky.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back