SFA Tennis Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Kokkinakis has been so unlucky with injuries. Hopefully he remains injury free this year, he is a talented player.

Ive mentioned this before but one player to watch out for his Denis Shapovalov (potential no1)

As for the Sydney International, the women's field is strong. The men's side is ok. I think most of the guys are playing in Dubai or Brisbane

Three of the world’s top 10 women – and 20 of the top 30 – will compete at the 2018 Sydney International.

Among them is Daria Gavrilova, the exciting Aussie who joins a strong local contingent also featuring Sam Stosur, Ash Barty and Jordan Thompson. Another is former world No.4 and Australian Open finalist Dominika Cibulkova.

Gavrilova, Stosur, Barty and Cibulkova are part of a women’s field boasting a record six Grand Slam champions.

Stosur, the US Open 2011 champion, is one of them, as is seven-time Grand Slam champion Venus Williams, reigning French and US Open champions Jelena Ostapenko and Sloane Stephens, two-time Wimbledon winner Petra Kvitova and Angelique Kerber, last year’s Australian and US Open champion.

Defending Sydney International champion and world No.9 Johanna Konta is also in the field, as the tournament’s third seed.

The field is one of the strongest in the event’s long history, with one of the highest ranking cut-offs on the WTA Tour in the past 12 months.

https://www.sydneyinternational.com.au/2017/12/strong-field-set-sydney-international-2018

Hopman Cup starts in 10 days. Impressive line-up, it's probably the strongest field I've ever seen at this event.

Team Germany
Alexander Zverev
A Kerber

Team Belgium
David Goffin
Elise Mertens

Team Canada
Vasek Pospisil
Eugene Bouchard

Team Australia
Thanasi Kokkinakis
Daria Gavrilova

Team Swiss
Roger Federer
Belinda Bencic

Team USA
Jack Sock
Coco Vandeweghe

Team Russia
Karen Khachanov
Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova

Team Japan
Yuichi Sugita
Naomi Osaka

I'm guessing a Swiss-German GF? Have the groups been decided?

Group A
Canada
Belgium
Australia
Germany

: Germany or Belgium to make the final

Group B
Swiss
USA
Russia
Japan

In this Group - Swiss, USA or Russia to make the final
Bencic isnt that good
No she isn't, but her teammate could probably play with a plutonium rod and still make it through to the final... ;)

He should win all his matches but then they have to play doubles (and she's crap) lol So go Russia!
Reckon USA finish above Russia tbh. Mostly because Sock and Coco have played together quite a bit which helps with this comp. Depending on which Bouchard comes out and how Thanasi plays after his injury-interrupted season, I could sadly see the Aussies finishing bottom in their group.

I'll tip:
Germany - Belgium - Canada - Australia
Switzerland - USA - Russia - Japan

Reckon USA finish above Russia tbh. Mostly because Sock and Coco have played together quite a bit which helps with this comp. Depending on which Bouchard comes out and how Thanasi plays after his injury-interrupted season, I could sadly see the Aussies finishing bottom in their group.

I'll tip:
Germany - Belgium - Canada - Australia
Switzerland - USA - Russia - Japan

Forget about Bouchard, she's too one dimensional unless she has worked on her game over the break.

Germany should do ok, but Kerber was shocking this year.

USA has a good team, Sock and Coco will do well in the doubles.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So no Serena, and no Murray - certainly opens up the field for both sexes.

Serena isnt ready to play yet. The women's field is wide out now. (Potential winners: Pliskova, Muguruza, Kerber, Sviltova)

As for the men's I think Dimitrov can win the AO.

Nadal will be playing but not sure about his knee injury.

Elton Johns Wig Serena won't be playing at the Aust Open. She's not ready yet.
:(

As for Murray not playing, I've never warmed to the bloke. Biggest sadface whiner on tour. Limps and winces when behind, he has always s**t me.

Pity, because off the court apparently one of the most liked, funniest blokes.

:(

As for Murray not playing, I've never warmed to the bloke. Biggest sadface whiner on tour. Limps and winces when behind, he has always s**t me.

Pity, because off the court apparently one of the most liked, funniest blokes.

Murray is a funny one. On court, he is just annoying and whiny. But, like you said, off court he is a likeable person.

Murray is a funny one. On court, he is just annoying and whiny. But, like you said, off court he is a likeable person.
Leads me to a topic, fave players, all time. Hazarding a guess I'm a fair bit older than you.

Not best, faves. In no particular order as they pop into my head.

Women

Chrissy Evert
Gabby Sabatini
Steffi
Martina
Amanda Coetzer
Justine Henin
Li Na
Svetlana Kuznetsova
Amelie Mauresmo

Men

Edberg
McEnroe
Wilander
Rafter
Fed
Rafa
Agassi
Courier
Stan

Just to name a few.

Leads me to a topic, fave players, all time. Hazarding a guess I'm a fair bit older than you.

Not best, faves. In no particular order as they pop into my head.

Women

Chrissy Evert
Gabby Sabatini
Steffi
Martina
Amanda Coetzer
Justine Henin
Li Na
Svetlana Kuznetsova
Amelie Mauresmo

Men

Edberg
McEnroe
Wilander
Rafter
Fed
Rafa
Agassi
Courier
Stan

Just to name a few.

I wasn't around during the Evert era lol but I have seen some old matches, and Im glad you didn't mention Connors, he is soo arrogant.

My all time favourite player was Sampras (the reason why I started following tennis - early 90s)

Guga was another favourite player

Current favourite players

Dimitrov
Nadal
Goffin
del Porto
Zverev

I miss watching Henin play, shame she retired young. That backhand was awesome.

Btw, Svetlana Kuznetsova is injured and won't be playing at this year's AO

I wasn't around during the Evert era lol but I have seen some old matches, and Im glad you didn't mention Connors, he is soo arrogant.

My all time favourite player was Sampras (the reason why I started following tennis - early 90s)

Guga was another favourite player

Current favourite players

Dimitrov
Nadal
Goffin
del Porto
Zverev

I miss watching Henin play, shame she retired young. That backhand was awesome.

Btw, Svetlana Kuznetsova is injured and won't be playing at this year's AO
s**t, Guga!!

Actually forgot to put his name down, loved him.

Sampras, I appreciate his awesomeness and place in the pantheon, I don't dislike him. I have not a bad word to say about him, just never warmed to him. All time top 3 serves in the game. So clutch.

s**t, Guga!!

Actually forgot to put his name down, loved him.

Sampras, I appreciate his awesomeness and place in the pantheon, I don't dislike him. I have not a bad word to say about him, just never warmed to him. All time top 3 serves in the game. So clutch.

Guga was awesome, cool guy and one of the best clay court players.

Sampras had the best serve, always reliable. Though I find most people feel the same - they never really warmed to him. I think he was a quiet guy and did not have that flare like Agassi.

Good guess lol

Though zverev is still playing at the moment

They will be too strong in the mixed regardless. But I always felt they were the two strongest teams. Will come down to the mixed doubles in the final too.

They will be too strong in the mixed regardless. But I always felt they were the two strongest teams. Will come down to the mixed doubles in the final too.

My pick: Germany to win

Kerber has played great this week. Yesterday she destroyed Dasha.

Also, impressive win by Kokkinakis.

Some good matches on today:

Brisbane International

Semi:
De Minaur v Harrison
Dimitrov v Kyrgios

Women's Final

Svitolina v Sasnovich

Go Dimitrov!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back