SFL Division 2 - 2013

Who will win SFL Div 2 Final in 2013

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Is that a definate Whisper ? if it is od are gone, no Isaac no elvis lost their good coach ....couldnt happen to a more deserved club.
Sibba will be next to go he will be freeking out lol.....
From a reliable source who is in the know. Mind you this is not the first time that Elvis has been involved in talks with other clubs.

A mate was telling me issacs will be staying at districts, anyone from oakleigh confirm this and also heard ex noble park player Dave veraldo might be joining them? Very handy pick up if he does. Is Fermanis staying?

can confirm as a close friend of elvis he will not be playing in the sfl this yr. he is trialling at dandnenong thuder soccer club as he seeks a victorian premier league contract at his beloved and local soccer team. if he decides to play footy i think he will sign with either st albans or eastern lions that is all ppl

There were always going to be pros & cons for lifting the colts comp to an U/19.5s. I think it was done for the short term viability of the SFL Colts & I know that Bentleigh were a major player in lifting the age. Last year & with all due respect to the comp, there was only 4 strong sides with the rest making up numbers. If the comp was kept at U/18s then we would have lost the vast majority of colts to senior ranks or even the VAFA I suppose, thus destroying the colts competition. Need to keep the Highetts & Hampton Colts alive whilst strengthening Hallam etc. I know at our club that if the colts stayed at 18s then I would have been put out to pasture with all the colts coming through

I personally don't think its about competing with the VAFA as it will never get to that strength & I think the SFL knows that. Rather the SFL desperately needs an underage competition & a healthy one to lure VAFA district teams in the area across to the SFL, to strengthen & expand the competitionas a whole. For example: the league has been chasing Ormond for years, why would Ormond, with a strong junior program, even contemplate leaving the VAFA if we don't have a colts comp. Yes we'd accomodate for their 1s, 2s & thirds but what about the future of their club, the U/19s? They'd be more within their rights to stay put & continue to do so. (Just an example guys, not trying to open a can of worms ;) )

My personal opinion however & it always draws some heat & will continue to do so, is that: if a kid who is 18 years old or even 17 years old is good enough to play senior football, then he should be playing senior football at that age. I know there's always parental concern & the "I just want to play with my mates" reason, but IMO if a kid even in juniors should be playing an age group above himself rather than running rings around a kid 1 or 2 years his junior.

Where I come from in the Mallee we had no such luxury of junior comps due to population. Its U/13s at half time which includes 9 year olds, then its U16s & then Reserves & Seniors. At any given week, a 14 year old who had just played U/16s would be asked to sit on the bench in the 2s to fill numbers. Really good players in the area who went onto play AFL & VFL or TAC Cup were playing senior football at 13-14 years old! You learn so much as a kid playing against men & you're always taken under someone's wing who can protect you a bit. That's a drastic example but one can see the point I'm trying to make. We had colts play in our 2s side in 2012 & they did not look out of place one bit.

But alas I think the SFL may lose a lot of 17 year olds who aren't ready, not sure where they'd go may the MSJFL will become 17.5s?

That's my 2 cents worth anyway but I'm not sure if you'd call me an oracle, that title would have to go to superfreak or Rooster 24 in the VAFA who are more learned than I on this particular topic. I'd welcome their opinions

I was involved with the SMJFL U17s comp last year with an SFL affiliated junior club, and my son played in this age group (1994 born) for his junior career, and my guess is that the SFL looked at the feeders for the 2013 U18s and had a real issue of getting a comp going. The 2 divisions of the U17s this year were
Cheltenham
Beaumaris
St Peters
Ormond
St Bedes (2 sides)
Ajax
South Melbourne
Mordi Brae
East Sandy
Waverly Hawks
Highett
Bentleigh

Of those, Cheltenham Juniors dont usually feed Chelt seniors directly, St Bedes and Beaumaris take the cream.
Mordi Brae juniors have in the past gone off to Parkdale, there is no real alignment
St Peters would have fielded a side
Highett and Bentleigh were the weakest U17 sides, but had numbers
Hampton may have benefitted from East Sandy, but that hasn't happened the last couple of years
The rest were VAFA clubs, with Waverley Hawks in the EFL.

Looking at the makeup of the 2012 U18s comp, Murrumbeena, St Pauls, Dingley didnt have a 17s in 2012, and I dont think Chelsea Heights did either (their 17s played MSJFL in 2011, which formed their 18s in 2012). You'd have to suggest they would all struggle to field an 18s side in 2013.
Skye would be ok, you would think, Hallam were 25 goals behind the next worst, so they would also be doubtful.

There was a real chance of a 4 or 5 team comp, hence the move to U19.5. At least that way, the same sides as per 2012 may field a side.

I write this with no actual knowledge of how the decision was made, but thats my take.

Glad to see you get a laugh out of this Sibba.
see if ya can give us the correct answer to this then, isaac agreed to play at Eastern lions took $1000 up front and has now walked out and gone back to OD coz Eastern Lions were going to pay Elvis a bit more than isaac and he couldnt deal with that so has walked out and taken the money ?

Speaking of preliminary finals, I see the good Prime Minister of Australia has announced a federal election on this year's final :thumbsdown:. I swear all women are selfish & only think of themselves :p:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A couple of big recruits down at the toolbox. Watch this space :cool: :cool: :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

Gee whiz. You would be the only club going around at the moment that has picked up players. I hope Josh Jewel isn't one of the big recruits you are banking on. Michael Scott coming back on board and Warner in your forward line will be very handy and hard for other teams to stop though. Is Dragon making a comeback too :) I hear Skye might have gained a couple of OK recruits themselves. Time will tell. Clearances start tomorrow, can't wait to see what comes through.

Gee whiz. You would be the only club going around at the moment that has picked up players. I hope Josh Jewel isn't one of the big recruits you are banking on. Michael Scott coming back on board and Warner in your forward line will be very handy and hard for other teams to stop though. Is Dragon making a comeback too :) I hear Skye might have gained a couple of OK recruits themselves. Time will tell. Clearances start tomorrow, can't wait to see what comes through.
Gee with a few big recruits Hampton might come sixth this year :eek:

Forgive me for talking Reserves for the minute, but I see last year's league best & fairest winner Peter Maynard's name on the clearance list. Says he's heading to Eastern Football League. Would that be in a playing or coaching role? As he's been hinting to me for the last couple of years that retirement was nigh. Could he be heading to Eastern Lions?

I can tell you that even though he was at the age of 40+, a few Divvy 2 reserves backlines will be breathing a sigh of relief. Would've loved to have seen him in his heyday

We had 44 to the first preseason training.. Many I didn't know, a few st bedes and edi asp boys As well it's great tovsee players from last year bringing their mates down for the new season.. New president and assistant coach as well
Sammy really knows what he is doing

I hope so for ur sake...

Buffnugget, I can't see anywhere that YWM states Hampton are going to win the premiership. He just commented on a footy forum about his club. Why reply with a bullshit comment. What club do you follow? I presume they win a flag each year in Divvy 1.

hahaha next week you sooked up like your from oakleigh !! Geez people are sensitive on here!! Just a bit of fun champ don't take it to seriously :D

One of those OK recruits wouldn't happen to be big gaz from Carlton would it? Played with northern bull ants towards the end of his career as well I think. Very good key position player in his day, carrying a couple of extra kgs ATM but I'm sure he will shed them in time for rnd1

hahaha next week you sooked up like your from oakleigh !! Geez people are sensitive on here!! Just a bit of fun champ don't take it to seriously :D
Not sookin Buff. Not from Oakleigh Buff. Like reading most of the comments on here. Everyone has their alliance with a club. I would just rather hear your clubs progress and good news rather than bagging opposition clubs. On paper, Hampton should improve on last season but you may well be spot on with your prediction. How is your club travelling?

I have it on good authority that Skye are going to win the flag this year. Frankly, it's not pre-season without everyone talking up Skye and Madman trying to play it down! Lift your games people. ;)

Not much talk out of the beena camp. Can anyone confirm wether or not Matty jones will be captain coach next year? I did see Peter odea had stepped down and will be coaching their colts next year

I have it on good authority that Skye are going to win the flag this year. Frankly, it's not pre-season without everyone talking up Skye and Madman trying to play it down! Lift your games people. ;)
How are thing looking at your end frankencow? I hope for your sake there's been some improvement. Any big names you can throw us? :D

Back