SFL Division Two - 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to bloody work too so can't make it so please give us a report of the game if you get the chance. I'm very interested to see how the dragons handle this higher division with Hilton as new coach and without their gun in the guts.

managed to catch this game after halftime, although it was scrappy skills wise(it is round 1) both teams had a crack and battled hard on the big ground. sean harris worked hard all day, and i think the ruckmen for blackrock dominated teh tapouts, well done to the dragons for running out victors they were served well by their captain panga in the backline and some new faces running around look like well groomed footballers. interesting team to keep an eye out for.

managed to catch this game after halftime, although it was scrappy skills wise(it is round 1) both teams had a crack and battled hard on the big ground. sean harris worked hard all day, and i think the ruckmen for blackrock dominated teh tapouts, well done to the dragons for running out victors they were served well by their captain panga in the backline and some new faces running around look like well groomed footballers. interesting team to keep an eye out for.

I wandered down to this one on saturday. Was a good battle to watch. Love the way those dragons boys have a real red hot crack and they certainly didn't look out of their depth in the new division. How would people rate Black rock in terms of quality in this division? I thought the skills weren't too bad but could definitely improve, as you said, it's only rd 1. I followed the dragons boys a fair bit last yr and am really interested to see how they go in the step up in class. There were a few new faces out there that looked to be handy types - abella looks class and they had a couple of good midfielders in number 35 and i think it was 22. Good luck to the boys and hopefully 2012 is the year of the DRAGON.

Bentleigh v Black Rock
Bentleigh has enormous depth. Their Colts won by 40 goals with 5 or 6 players who will be playing seniors this year at some stage. Give them the Colts flag now in what looks like a very ordinary standard competition. Bentleigh to win by 80-100 points.

Murrumbeena-v-East Malvern
The Beena boys did the same last season when they beat Bentleigh away in round 1 and then fell away badly due to injuries. Another big test for Murrumbeena.
East Malvern had a good first up win against Skye. Being a Div 1 side for so many years will hold them in good stead.Murrumbeena coming of a strong win against Oakleigh will have their confidence up. Can't pick against East Malvern.

Skye-v-Southern Dragons
Great result for footy and the Dragons in round 1 will annoy a lot of teams this season. Could struggle as the season progresses. Skye will have too many guns at their home ground. If they lose this one then a serious re-evaluation will be required.

South Yarra-v-Oakleigh
Oakleigh got a reality check last week and will bounce back to hammer a hapless South Yarra. It will not tell us much about Oakleigh until they come up against solid opposition.

Hampton-v-Springvale

It is going to be a long day for Hampton. They were found seriously wanting against Bentleigh and nothing to change against Springvale.

Bentleigh has enormous depth. Their Colts won by 40 goals with 5 or 6 players who will be playing seniors this year at some stage. Give them the Colts flag now in what looks like a very ordinary standard competition.

I wouldn't say give them the flag yet, there's a long way to go. Murrumbeena, St Pauls & St Peters Colts sides might have something to say about that.

Although is was a real shame (and I mean that sincerely) to see Hampton colts rock up with only 14 players in Round 1 against a pretty much full strength side raring to go, in the first game of the year. They'll be in strife if they get injuries. We gave them a few players to get the game started.

It is a bit puzzling though, how in that pocket of suburbs & with the strength of East Sandy juniors, why they can't get more kids to play. Granted they do have bit of competition from surrounding clubs competing for the same youth

Predictions for rnd 2

Bentleigh in a tight battle against Black rock.

Southern Dragons in close one against Skye.

Murrumbena to win at home in the match of the round.

Oakleigh Districts by 10 goals plus.

Springvale to easily win by over 15 goals.

I wouldn't say give them the flag yet, there's a long way to go. Murrumbeena, St Pauls & St Peters Colts sides might have something to say about that.

Although is was a real shame (and I mean that sincerely) to see Hampton colts rock up with only 14 players in Round 1 against a pretty much full strength side raring to go, in the first game of the year. They'll be in strife if they get injuries. We gave them a few players to get the game started.

It is a bit puzzling though, how in that pocket of suburbs & with the strength of East Sandy juniors, why they can't get more kids to play. Granted they do have bit of competition from surrounding clubs competing for the same youth

Fish,
Most of their team are playing second year 18's so they will walk it in. Hopefully Hampton will pickup a few players or perhaps merge, otherwise I can't see them lasting long. Really have to look at some kind of mercy rule or reduce the quarters when there is a blow out. Not a good look for footy when you see these scores.

Fish,
Most of their team are playing second year 18's so they will walk it in. Hopefully Hampton will pickup a few players or perhaps merge, otherwise I can't see them lasting long. Really have to look at some kind of mercy rule or reduce the quarters when there is a blow out. Not a good look for footy when you see these scores.

Yes they are & I hope you're right about the result at the end of the year, but Murrumbeena have also only lost a couple up into the senior grades, from what I was told.

Bentleigh colts have Hallam this week, which you'd say they'd probably win, but then they have Skye, then Beena. I'm sure the boys will be keeping a lid on it until they've played these sorts of teams. This is without being disrespectful to the other teams in the comp.

Hampton as you probably know, were merged with Highett last year & are no longer, so I guess merging talks would have finished after round 1 started, you would think

Bentleigh by 10 goals over Black rock.

Southern Dragons by 10 points over Skye.

Murrumbena to lose by 5 goals against East Malvern

Oakleigh Districts by 12 goals over South Yarra

Springvale to win by 12 goals over Hampton

Tips for this weekend:

Bentleigh by 6 goals
Skye by 3 goals
Murrumbena by 2 goals
Oakleigh Districts by 80 points
Springvale by 100 points

My Tips this week after a very interesting round 1

Bentleigh by 10 goals over Black rock. Bentleigh showed everyone that any talk of them not being a threat this year was just stupid talk. And impressive 11 goal win against what was thought to be an improved Hampton has them in the top line of betting for premiership glory this year.

Skye by 3 goals over Southern Dragons. Dissapointing loss by the Skye Boys last week. A slow start had them fighting against the clock all game and when we hit the front at 3 qtr time i thought we were going to hold on for sure. But poor kicking for goal and missed oppurtunities, as well as East malvern playing their ground perfectly seen them have a gutsy fightback to win. The Dragons started well last week, and will look to continue, but Wedge Rd oval is a tough ask, and I know Skye will not want to drop the first 2, they will be breathing fire so Im gunna go us by 3-4 goals.

Murrumbena by 2 goals against East Malvern. This game will be a pearler, it will be interesting to see how East malvern go playing away. Murrumbeena's result last week beating my Premiership Favourites was the suprise of the round for me, clearly they have improved massively and Oakleigh will be extremely dissapointed by that result. At Home i am tipping the Beena over a highly dangerous east malvern team.

Oakleigh Districts by 7 goals over South Yarra. Oakleigh will be shattered by last weeks result and this is the perfect time to get the confidence back up against the Yarra boys. South Yarra only losing by 14 goals last week is a good result considering their turbulant off season and they get to try out their game plan on their tough ground so I am going to say this will be close until 3 qtr time and then Oakleigh will most likely pull away.

Springvale to win by 7 goals over Hampton. I hear Springy were missing a few players last friday night? This game will be a big test for springy to see where they are at, hampton were meant to be a much improved side, yet didnt show improvement against the Beena boys last week so I expect them to come out flying in this game at home, But once again i feel springy will be up for the challenge, leading by a few goals at 3 qtr time then pulling away at the end.

I cant say how Impressed i am with the result of Murrumbeena last week and also the Bentleigh quieting the doubters with a solid 1st up win. No team will hit there straps until round 4 or 5 so getting good wins on the board early is important!! East Malvern's win over us was solid as well and they would be real happy with that as much as we feel it was the one that may have got away!! Once again another intriguing round where actual results will tell us alot about everyones chances, Murrumbeena and Oakleigh are the 2 teams this week that can make a big statement to the league!!

I know there has only been 1 round of footy played but how do people rate their clubs new recruits so far? Have you been impressed/not impressed by what they have shown so far?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Welcome to season 2012, each week i will review and preview the results from the weekend as a good oracle does. All my comments are honest and unbiased and will give assesments as to where each club is at after each week and also a mid year review

Round 1 Review

Springvale vs South Yarra
Springvale have set the benchmark as one of the top teams in season 2012
106 point demolition of South Yarra under lights Friday Night at Springvale Reserve. Vassallo was all the talk Friday night and looks set to have a big year getting plenty of the footy. South Yarra need to find an avenue to goal with no goals up until half time and only 4 sausage rolls from 13 scoring shots, and were punished after half time. If Springvale kicked straight this could have been a lot worse then it was.

Bentleigh vs Hampton
With the ground being resurfaced, and a group of good quality kids coming up from the Colts the Hammers were expected to be one of the teams improving. But they ran into a more determined experienced Bentleigh outfit who took apart the Hammers on countless entries inside 50. The Hammers played well up to Half Time, but were blown apart in the 2nd Half with the Demons putting on a clinic and walking out 67 point winners.

East Malvern vs Skye
With a new name, the outlook didn't look any different as the so called easy beats of the league were expected to be beaten quite comfortably by Skye. Having hit the lead at half time, the Bombers fort back to be in front by 11 points going into the last quarter. But did the boys from Malvern come home with a wet sail, 3 goals to 3 points in the last quarter was the difference. From all reports the boys from Skye were very very disappointed to start the season 0-1 and look for the boys from down the coast to crack in and give this weeks match a red hot go

Oakleigh Districts vs Murrumbeena
Wowwie. East Malvern shocked me, but nothing surprised me more then the results on the weekend then the boys from Murrumbeena getting home and taking the chocolates. With the game in the balance and 12 goals to 5 after quarter time, Hargreaves had a day out kicking 4 and for mine was BOG. Only time will tell if they can keep this form up, but i might be forced to eat my own words after i touted them as a bottom side this year.

Southern Dragons vs Black Rock
With the last game of the weekend featured the newly promoted Dragons up against a Black Rock side that from the team sheet featured from memory over 10 new senior players. All the talk pre-season was about how the Div 3 premiers would go in Div 2 and with the unfurling of the premiership flag in front of a noisy home crowd the Dragons came out firing. Black Rock had first service from one of their new recruits a big 6"4 lumbering giant Harris but didnt capitalize on opportunities. This was a close game and an entertaining one to watch. I expect both these teams to push most sides, but will need to play 4 qtrs of footy to improve.

The Oracle
:):)

Welcome to season 2012, each week i will review and preview the results from the weekend as a good oracle does. All my comments are honest and unbiased and will give assesments as to where each club is at after each week and also a mid year review

Round 1 Review

Springvale vs South Yarra
Springvale have set the benchmark as one of the top teams in season 2012
106 point demolition of South Yarra under lights Friday Night at Springvale Reserve. Vassallo was all the talk Friday night and looks set to have a big year getting plenty of the footy. South Yarra need to find an avenue to goal with no goals up until half time and only 4 sausage rolls from 13 scoring shots, and were punished after half time. If Springvale kicked straight this could have been a lot worse then it was.

Bentleigh vs Hampton
With the ground being resurfaced, and a group of good quality kids coming up from the Colts the Hammers were expected to be one of the teams improving. But they ran into a more determined experienced Bentleigh outfit who took apart the Hammers on countless entries inside 50. The Hammers played well up to Half Time, but were blown apart in the 2nd Half with the Demons putting on a clinic and walking out 67 point winners.

East Malvern vs Skye
With a new name, the outlook didn't look any different as the so called easy beats of the league were expected to be beaten quite comfortably by Skye. Having hit the lead at half time, the Bombers fort back to be in front by 11 points going into the last quarter. But did the boys from Malvern come home with a wet sail, 3 goals to 3 points in the last quarter was the difference. From all reports the boys from Skye were very very disappointed to start the season 0-1 and look for the boys from down the coast to crack in and give this weeks match a red hot go

Oakleigh Districts vs Murrumbeena
Wowwie. East Malvern shocked me, but nothing surprised me more then the results on the weekend then the boys from Murrumbeena getting home and taking the chocolates. With the game in the balance and 12 goals to 5 after quarter time, Hargreaves had a day out kicking 4 and for mine was BOG. Only time will tell if they can keep this form up, but i might be forced to eat my own words after i touted them as a bottom side this year.

Southern Dragons vs Black Rock
With the last game of the weekend featured the newly promoted Dragons up against a Black Rock side that from the team sheet featured from memory over 10 new senior players. All the talk pre-season was about how the Div 3 premiers would go in Div 2 and with the unfurling of the premiership flag in front of a noisy home crowd the Dragons came out firing. Black Rock had first service from one of their new recruits a big 6"4 lumbering giant Harris but didnt capitalize on opportunities. This was a close game and an entertaining one to watch. I expect both these teams to push most sides, but will need to play 4 qtrs of footy to improve.

The Oracle
:):)
What are your predictions for this weekend oracle?

What are your predictions for this weekend oracle?

Dont know about Oracle but i predict plenty of drinking and a couple of women wakeing up in my bed saturday morning, then a b.o.g. performance bye my good self followed up by more j.ds and women saturday night.:)

Holy crap! What a shock it was to see the dragons getting their arse handed to them today in Carrum Downs. Managed to go have a look at the dragons for the first time since last year against skye and it was kept tight with both sides sussing each other out up until the end of the first quarter then it was sad to see the floodgates opening up on SFL's favorite team. After their win last week against Black Rock, i expected a much closer game.

Mcguiness would have bagged about 10 and dominated forward whilst Hynsey and Lucas were standouts for Skye. if he It was obvious the dragons mids were no match and got dominated for the majority of the game. They were getting 1st use of the ball with their ruckman winning plenty of taps but they were not clean with the ball and looked very soft and inexperienced in winning the contested ball and looked to lack any intensity and direction. Andrwe Do was by far the dragons best but would have loved the support of a player of Yap's calibre for added leadership, run and class. I saw Yap in my local paper recently:
http://www.greaterdandenongweekly.c...re-there-too-many-football-clubs/2518598.aspx

I have heard rumours that Yap is having discussions with some clubs in the nfl and efl about transferring and is getting attractive offers. Can any southern dragons in here shed some light on this?

Looks like it will be a long year ahead for Sth Yarra and Black Rock. I can not see any upside or positives for these 2 clubs at the moment. Can anyone from these clubs provide some feedback as to where they will improve over the next few weeks or is this the best they will dish up during 2012?

we (SY) have 3 senior players from last year, have about 30 new blokes to the club and didn't have a coach come the new year so it's obviously going to take a while for us to catch up but that's fine, we know where we're at

not everyone can win

we (SY) have 3 senior players from last year, have about 30 new blokes to the club and didn't have a coach come the new year so it's obviously going to take a while for us to catch up but that's fine, we know where we're at

not everyone can win
Looks like the club have done a fantastic job recruiting 40 odd players over the pre season which is a huge effort. Where did the majority of recruits come from?

I would beat up too much on those two teams Melways. Black Rock are where they're at because they have no juniors, which they're putting steps in place to rectify. I'm told they had two 17 year olds & an 18 year old playing 1s on Saturday which will be better for the senior experience. Also had a young bloke (colts age) playing 2s.

What might be best for BR is maybe go back to Div 3, rebuild, get some years into these boys & come back bigger & stronger.

A team like Skye will be strong for many years to come as they have a heap of kids in the colts which will serve their club well

I would beat up too much on those two teams Melways. Black Rock are where they're at because they have no juniors, which they're putting steps in place to rectify. I'm told they had two 17 year olds & an 18 year old playing 1s on Saturday which will be better for the senior experience. Also had a young bloke (colts age) playing 2s.

What might be best for BR is maybe go back to Div 3, rebuild, get some years into these boys & come back bigger & stronger.

A team like Skye will be strong for many years to come as they have a heap of kids in the colts which will serve their club well
Sorry Fish 20 I am not trying to have a crack at these clubs and it's great that Black Rock are planning on starting a junior club. I do not believe it's beneficial for them to drop back to Div 3 as this may make it harder to recruit potential players? I have not seen Black Rock play this season but do they have a strong following?

Dont be sorry, you're entitled to your opinion. I still believe that clubs in Div 3 can recruit & develop a winning culture. But you can guarantee that all in sundry at Black Rock & South Yarra will be fighting tooth & nail to stay up. The 2 down relegation won't help though

Looks like the club have done a fantastic job recruiting 40 odd players over the pre season which is a huge effort. Where did the majority of recruits come from?

just from blokes who know blokes who know blokes...i think we;re also starting u/18's next yr too

it was the year we had to have unfortunately as there must have been 15 blokes 30yrs and older in the 1's last year

we'll also play some colts this yr too and possibly a 15yr old who will be a gun

I happenned to notice on the weekend while watching that the Southern Dragons that they had 5 or 6 missing from the week before including Abela, although they got smacked, their kicking for goal could of helped the scoreboard. 2 goals 17 behinds, i wonder what the coach will have for them this week on the track down at Keeley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back