SFL - 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday's results tend to indicate the league is tightening up. All results open at the last change which is healthy for the comp and whilst I don't like to skite, the chokers are coming back to the field.
They might be coming back but they have done the hard yards up the front to claim their lead, probably see them manage their list for the rest of the year, only have to finish top 2 for the advantage.
Oh, and who are you kidding, you love to skite VH...

Big game this weekend Red Cliffs v Irymple, Tigers need to win to stay in touch with top 4 and Swallows need to win to get themselves closer to a double chance spot. It'll be a finals like game I reckon, both teams have a lot to lose, expect Tigers to throw everything at the Swallows, Lovett, Motlop & Riordan in the middle against Hamance, Mee & Flack would be good to watch. Wide spaces might be too much for Irymple at Quandong Park, unless Eagle, Eaton & Pezz can kick a few...

Big game this weekend Red Cliffs v Irymple, Tigers need to win to stay in touch with top 4 and Swallows need to win to get themselves closer to a double chance spot. It'll be a finals like game I reckon, both teams have a lot to lose, expect Tigers to throw everything at the Swallows, Lovett, Motlop & Riordan in the middle against Hamance, Mee & Flack would be good to watch. Wide spaces might be too much for Irymple at Quandong Park, unless Eagle, Eaton & Pezz can kick a few...
Should be a ripper of a game!

It's a season defining games for both clubs and the big game players will have the final say come 5pm. Lovett & Motlop have proven their value on the big stage and will have a huge influence. Home ground and the housos on the hill might be dancing on their centre link forms if the Swallow's mid field don't fire. And they will need to be rolling from first bounce till the final siren. Any lapses will keep the score ticking over for the Tigers and IMO if it's close, the Tigers will get the lollies.

It's a season defining games for both clubs and the big game players will have the final say come 5pm. Lovett & Motlop have proven their value on the big stage and will have a huge influence. Home ground and the housos on the hill might be dancing on their centre link forms if the Swallow's mid field don't fire. And they will need to be rolling from first bounce till the final siren. Any lapses will keep the score ticking over for the Tigers and IMO if it's close, the Tigers will get the lollies.
Clearly the housos on the hill weren't jumping around too much in the first quarter VH, slow start cost Reddy in the end, a bridge too far. Huge log jam from 3rd to 8th now chasing the September action, Demons and Swallows appear to have 1 & 2 sewn up, look out for Ouyen, could provide the surprise from here on in....

Wow what a great end to the season. Reckon it will come down to the last round. I agree Ouyen starting to get momentum. Who gets 3rd and 4th??

Not so sure it's gunna matter who finishes 4th, the winner is going to be in the top three. The demons have the staggers and will need to regroup as they are in danger of straight sets. And a GF between the league new comers and the the Swallow's will be huge. Ouyen are a real chance, they can kick a big score and have some quality in the mid field. Ouyen v. Irymple in the last dance of the year for mine.

Not so sure it's gunna matter who finishes 4th, the winner is going to be in the top three. The demons have the staggers and will need to regroup as they are in danger of straight sets. And a GF between the league new comers and the the Swallow's will be huge. Ouyen are a real chance, they can kick a big score and have some quality in the mid field. Ouyen v. Irymple in the last dance of the year for mine.
Agree with you VH regarding Ouyen, they're the real deal. I still reckon the Demons are the best side when all on the park. No real weaknesses, and have the players to fill any gaps that appear on gameday. As long as their list holds up, they're still my pick at this stage.... I'm still not entirely convinced abouts irymples form, they just keep winning, pushed mildura to ~3 goals but there's not anything conclusive that tells me they are a lock.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree Schnail, the Stevens experiment is back behind the screen. That said, the Tigers have the last two premierships in their cupboard and nothing is going to wrench them out, so they have happy fat Cente link smiles which means they will trudge up to the Red Club with their hard earned welfare cheques for the next few weeks and despond about what might have been as they drop our hard earned down the slots actually believing they can win. Ho hum. Back to to footy. My folding (that I earned). Is on Ouyen to win the last game

Give him a chance I say. Not condoning at all what he did.
Surely there are other players in the league who have done time in the big house...

Give him a chance I say. Not condoning at all what he did.
Surely there are other players in the league who have done time in the big house...
Yep, agree, however a committee needs to think about the collective when going through a process such as recruitment of individuals. Is it in the best interest of the club and community? What are the risks and do we have the risk appetite to allow a particular individual into the club? Do we have the support of the league and other clubs (individual won't only be exposed to his club, but also others)?
The process was messy and very public, badly handled by the club, and a hint of a lack of due diligence. Truth be told maybe he won't want to come back in the light of the bad publicity he received throughout the process.... He can have a chance once time is served, just don't expect everyone to accept him with open arms.....

Yep, agree, however a committee needs to think about the collective when going through a process such as recruitment of individuals. Is it in the best interest of the club and community? What are the risks and do we have the risk appetite to allow a particular individual into the club? Do we have the support of the league and other clubs (individual won't only be exposed to his club, but also others)?
The process was messy and very public, badly handled by the club, and a hint of a lack of due diligence. Truth be told maybe he won't want to come back in the light of the bad publicity he received throughout the process.... He can have a chance once time is served, just don't expect everyone to accept him with open arms.....

Don't disagree and I know that there has been a recent player at that club accused of similar things in the past but just was never jailed for it. My issue with Nick Stevens is that he hasn't really ever acknowledged that he did the wrong thing and if I was on the committee of a club that was considering him that would be of concern to me

All went to script this weekend apart from the Demons who did not lose. Maybe that's coz they had the bye but when the spiral happens even the bye can be a bad loss. The Swallow's put distance between the top 2 and the rest with a mauling of the Merbs and Ouyen did nothing apart from assert themselves as real contenders with a solid win. Is it possible that a first in league could take the silverware. Heard about amalgamated clubs winning a flag in the first season but this has to be very special. (Bruce)

No imps or red cliffs in this years finals from the look of it, Ouyen are coming big time, second semi between Dee's and Swallows should be a cracker... Who will get 4th, Wenty are coming good at the right time, it's great that the spot is still available to a few (3 or 4)...

Anyone interested in taking a shot at the Sunraysia Team of the year. Lots of talent running around in the league this year. The usual suspects no doubt will get a name on the ground but there is plenty of young talent who could lay claims. Eagle & the Big Ouyen lad will have claims on the prized FF spot but hard to nail down some others. No doubt the Swallow mid field will be under notice along with the fleet footed Tigers. Hard to see anyone from the Eagles of Imps featuring even if the Hards bros had consistent season along with Jarrod Mac who has been ok. Thinking the bulk of the team will feature the top three with a sprinkle of others. IMO

Don't disagree and I know that there has been a recent player at that club accused of similar things in the past but just was never jailed for it. My issue with Nick Stevens is that he hasn't really ever acknowledged that he did the wrong thing and if I was on the committee of a club that was considering him that would be of concern to me
Wouldn't think Stevens will get a berth in any country footy side if these ridiculous salary caps are brought in and adhered to. I think if these salary caps are followed there will be a heap of blokes having to take lower payments or they will miss out altogether. I pity the first club caught breaking the salary cap rules they will be hung drawn and quartered by these puppets running AFLVIC. Also sorry Roota if footy committees had any worries about what players/coaches have done off the field there would be a lot involved at the moment that wouldn't be, perhaps you may have one at the panthers.

Wouldn't think Stevens will get a berth in any country footy side if these ridiculous salary caps are brought in and adhered to. I think if these salary caps are followed there will be a heap of blokes having to take lower payments or they will miss out altogether. I pity the first club caught breaking the salary cap rules they will be hung drawn and quartered by these puppets running AFLVIC. Also sorry Roota if footy committees had any worries about what players/coaches have done off the field there would be a lot involved at the moment that wouldn't be, perhaps you may have one at the panthers.

This is exactly what the salary cap is aiming to do. The reason being that the current spending is out of control.

I get what you are saying here but my point with the Stevens situation that I worry about is that he actually doesn't believe that he has done anything wrong. I have played alongside plenty of blokes with chequered histories but all of them put their hands up and took responsibility for their mistakes.

This is exactly what the salary cap is aiming to do. The reason being that the current spending is out of control.

I get what you are saying here but my point with the Stevens situation that I worry about is that he actually doesn't believe that he has done anything wrong. I have played alongside plenty of blokes with chequered histories but all of them put their hands up and took responsibility for their mistakes.
The points and salary cap are not going to help any smaller clubs who are battling to get junior numbers now continue to exist, if you haven't got juniors coming through to your senior ranks you have to invest in players to field a side.

The points and salary cap are not going to help any smaller clubs who are battling to get junior numbers now continue to exist, if you haven't got juniors coming through to your senior ranks you have to invest in players to field a side.

Check out the sportsguru's post on the Yarra Valley's thread posted at 3.37pm today. If this is accurate there will be a lot of interesting committee discussions throughout the VCFL clubs over summer.

Check out the sportsguru's post on the Yarra Valley's thread posted at 3.37pm today. If this is accurate there will be a lot of interesting committee discussions throughout the VCFL clubs over summer.
Especially at clubs where there is already a culture of spending big. List management will become extremely important in the future on 2 fronts, player points and financial. Club administrators will become as important as the players themselves under this process, local footy moneyball...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back