SFL - 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Especially at clubs where there is already a culture of spending big. List management will become extremely important in the future on 2 fronts, player points and financial. Club administrators will become as important as the players themselves under this process, local footy moneyball...
I see some details of Salary cap for next year are appearing, penalties look stiff for both player and Club in the draft.

This is Sportsguru's post..........

I got this from http://www.aflvic.com.au/wp-content...IC-Draft-Player-Salary-Cap-Policy-28-July.pdf

Player Breach - 12 months suspension.

Club breaches - An amount equal to the breach as fine plus loss of Premiership point now and in following seasons, loss of points in Player Points system, not playing in Finals, and drop of division

E.G.
Between 5K and 25,000
  • Fine equal to breach amount plus investigation costs
  • Loss of 12 Player Points for next 2 seasons
  • Loss of 12 Premiership points for the Senior team for each of the following 2 seasons.
  • Ineligible for finals in Seniors and reserves for the current and following 2 seasons
  • Being relegated if possible.

Over by 25,000
  • LFine equal to breach amount plus investigation costs
  • oss of 16 Player Points for next 3 seasons
  • Loss of 20 Premiership points for the Senior team for each of the following 3 seasons.
  • Ineligible for finals in Seniors and reserves for the current and following 3 seasons
  • Being relegated if possible.

Would be a very brave administrator to take the step of over paying in my mind, just not worth it.

sportguru, Today at 3:37 PM

The penalties are extremely harsh. I can see hearings for breaches ending up in VCAT as the evidence is going to be bloody hard to gather and proof is going to be put under the microscope. It's long over due for restraints to be imposed on the wealthy clubs. My concerns are the allocation of points and the value placed on loyal club players who move away for higher footy then move back home. They might be forced to go home and play for opposition clubs. Have I got this right?

The penalties are extremely harsh. I can see hearings for breaches ending up in VCAT as the evidence is going to be bloody hard to gather and proof is going to be put under the microscope. It's long over due for restraints to be imposed on the wealthy clubs. My concerns are the allocation of points and the value placed on loyal club players who move away for higher footy then move back home. They might be forced to go home and play for opposition clubs. Have I got this right?
Not quite VH, if a junior moves away for uni, plays at a higher level and comes home, he will only attract more points if he plays for an opposition team to his junior club. That's why J Eagle is only a 1 pointer for Irymple, he played juniors there...

This weekends round of footy poses and interesting question, do Mildura and Irymple throw the kitchen sink at each other to see who blinks and hope some scarring is taken into a second semi, or do they try to measure each other in regards to tactics/strategy/positioning etc? Also, Ouyen and Wenty won't want to slip up, or Merbein for that matter, with Red Cliffs having a healthier percentage than the 3 teams above them. The Tigers may put the pedal down on a struggling Imps, get some more percentage and take the 4 points for the bye in the final round, could almost make 3rd from where they sit at the moment... A win to Merbs against Robinvale away (no easy task) and Ouyen against Wenty at home would see the top 4 done and dusted this weekend...

Check out the sportsguru's post on the Yarra Valley's thread posted at 3.37pm today. If this is accurate there will be a lot of interesting committee discussions throughout the VCFL clubs over summer.
Was talking to a fella who is in the know on how this salary cap is going to work. He reckons all players over the age of 18 will have to lodge a playing contract from their club with the league in which they play. As well as match payments any incentive payments will have to be taken into account as well as travelling/fuel payments from their club. He reckons its only a matter of time before the ATO will poke their nose in, making playing footy and receiving any payment fairly unattractive if ur being taxed.

Was talking to a fella who is in the know on how this salary cap is going to work. He reckons all players over the age of 18 will have to lodge a playing contract from their club with the league in which they play. As well as match payments any incentive payments will have to be taken into account as well as travelling/fuel payments from their club. He reckons its only a matter of time before the ATO will poke their nose in, making playing footy and receiving any payment fairly unattractive if ur being taxed.
Could be interesting in 10 years time, or finished altogether... If local footy heads down that path, kiss it goodbye. No one will play to pay, especially if by contract you have 2 employers, which may attract a higher tax rate for the second "job". Would that mean you could claim workcover for a "workplace" injury while playing local footy for a taxable income? How would workplace inspections by Worksafe be received by clubs? Me thinks this is a can of sh1tfight ready to go off if it pans out along this path.....

This weekends round of footy poses and interesting question, do Mildura and Irymple throw the kitchen sink at each other to see who blinks and hope some scarring is taken into a second semi, or do they try to measure each other in regards to tactics/strategy/positioning etc? Also, Ouyen and Wenty won't want to slip up, or Merbein for that matter, with Red Cliffs having a healthier percentage than the 3 teams above them. The Tigers may put the pedal down on a struggling Imps, get some more percentage and take the 4 points for the bye in the final round, could almost make 3rd from where they sit at the moment... A win to Merbs against Robinvale away (no easy task) and Ouyen against Wenty at home would see the top 4 done and dusted this weekend...
Based on what we saw last week, it looks like The Dees want to take winning form into the finals series.

Based on what we saw last week, it looks like The Dees want to take winning form into the finals series.
Based on what they served up today, they don't.... Pretty poor showing, even without Alvey and Richardson. Asked a lot of questions by Irymple today and had few answers.....

Anyone care to foresee the results of each of the final series?

Tha McLeod Medalist?

A smokey for the medal?

The biggest surprise of the 2016 season?

What a joke of a club the South Mildura Football Club is..
Have been the laughing stock of the league for well over a decade and are only getting worse.. Disgraceful..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ahhhh, OK. Now I get it. South lost more premiership points from rounds 1 & 2 due to exceeding their points allocation. Well, to be honest a club flying that close to their allocation as South did for the year was going to come unstuck at some stage..... I know a club in the Geelong Football League that turned away quality recruits at the start of the season due to not being able to guarantee games to players due to their points allocation and associated list management.

Ahhhh, OK. Now I get it. South lost more premiership points from rounds 1 & 2 due to exceeding their points allocation. Well, to be honest a club flying that close to their allocation as South did for the year was going to come unstuck at some stage..... I know a club in the Geelong Football League that turned away quality recruits at the start of the season due to not being able to guarantee games to players due to their points allocation and associated list management.

Which is what the system is designed to do...spread the talent across more clubs

Shows what type of club South are after requesting more points at the start of the yr because they knew they were over and then breaching it several times throughout. Surly some sort of penalty going forward must be put in place.

Last edited:
Shows what type of club they are after requesting more points at the start of the yr because they knew they were over and then breaching it several times throughout. Surly some sort of penalty going forward must be put in place.
Care to expand on your facts to back this up fattyferet?

Care to expand on your facts to back this up fattyferet?
Ferret probably a bit harsh on Ouyen but yes Wenty have requested a points investigation, result to be handed out today apparently, perhaps a chance that Wenty could find themselves playing on Saturday...

Ferret probably a bit harsh on Ouyen but yes Wenty have requested a points investigation, result to be handed out today apparently, perhaps a chance that Wenty could find themselves playing on Saturday...
Very interested to see where his facts are coming from. From what I can see, they have the same allocation as all other SF&NL sides that finished outside of the 4 last year and two less then Robinvale-Euston, and according to the article have only 'allegedly breached' once.. Not several times.

Think some higher authorities may have missed the mark when they dealt out South's initial penalties, considering all clubs (as per the policy) are asked to have their allocations approved by the league prior to the season commencing or a player taking to the field and the fact that the penalty applied to South, other than embarrassment, didn't actually penalize the club for the error, but rather sent other clubs into detective mode to find other loop holes.

Think there are some much bigger issues with the processes attached to the policy and AFL Vic needs to look at these to ensure that errors such as these don't go unnoticed for so long

Very interested to see where his facts are coming from. From what I can see, they have the same allocation as all other SF&NL sides that finished outside of the 4 last year and two less then Robinvale-Euston, and according to the article have only 'allegedly breached' once.. Not several times.

Think some higher authorities may have missed the mark when they dealt out South's initial penalties, considering all clubs (as per the policy) are asked to have their allocations approved by the league prior to the season commencing or a player taking to the field and the fact that the penalty applied to South, other than embarrassment, didn't actually penalize the club for the error, but rather sent other clubs into detective mode to find other loop holes.

Think there are some much bigger issues with the processes attached to the policy and AFL Vic needs to look at these to ensure that errors such as these don't go unnoticed for so long

I think the Sunraysia football league heiracy have a lot to answer for here. Surely clubs that have recruit players are allocating their points to them based on information gathered, and have done so fairly and honestly ( i'd hope ). Once these have been submitted, should the league then not follow up on these players before the season starts and verify that the points are correct. I think that it is an absolute joke that we have got to the end of the season, and we now have clubs investigating others, submitting this to the league, and changing ladder positions, and final sides. The league should be embarrassed.

I think the Sunraysia football league heiracy have a lot to answer for here. Surely clubs that have recruit players are allocating their points to them based on information gathered, and have done so fairly and honestly ( i'd hope ). Once these have been submitted, should the league then not follow up on these players before the season starts and verify that the points are correct. I think that it is an absolute joke that we have got to the end of the season, and we now have clubs investigating others, submitting this to the league, and changing ladder positions, and final sides. The league should be embarrassed.

The system being used up there is strange. Everywhere else that I know of uses a system where the points tallies are calculated on the team sheets for each match and it is obvious if you are over or not. I am not sure you can have other clubs requesting investigations into others. It should be black and white and the team sheets should tell u

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back