SFNL Div 1 2021

Nov 14, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
The last SESFL GF I attended at Beach Rd was Port Colts Vs St Kilda City. Resulted in the Colts being kicked out of the league. :(
I was at that game...First quarter certainly went for a long time. The only reason StK City were not kicked out was because of their location.Port were expendable. Port went onto the WRFL and dominated the comp for many years in what was a very strong competition, whilst the SFL became a mickey mouse competition.

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
We will miss at minimum another 2 rounds of footy, the season is already so compromised it will be interesting what the league does..

The City v Bentleigh result last weekend, proved that Bentleigh are a long way off the pace.. However on the flipside the St Pauls v East Malvern showed the dogs are right in it.. IMO the league should just move to a top 6 finals campaign and then have Oakleigh v Highett in a 1 off relegation game played at RSEA.. The alternative is to scrap finals entirely, ensure everyone has played each other home and away and declare the premier first past the post like in Soccer leagues.

Nov 14, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
We will miss at minimum another 2 rounds of footy, the season is already so compromised it will be interesting what the league does..

The City v Bentleigh result last weekend, proved that Bentleigh are a long way off the pace.. However on the flipside the St Pauls v East Malvern showed the dogs are right in it.. IMO the league should just move to a top 6 finals campaign and then have Oakleigh v Highett in a 1 off relegation game played at RSEA.. The alternative is to scrap finals entirely, ensure everyone has played each other home and away and declare the premier first past the post like in Soccer leagues.
Top 6 and have a decent finals series.

Sth Melb Hellas

Senior List
Sep 28, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
I was at that game...First quarter certainly went for a long time. The only reason StK City were not kicked out was because of their location.Port were expendable. Port went onto the WRFL and dominated the comp for many years in what was a very strong competition, whilst the SFL became a mickey mouse competition.

I was very young but still have it imprinted in my mind, a relative slumped in the corner of the showers after being king hit before the bounce.

notalegent

Debutant
Sep 12, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
WFL have advised Div 2 clubs that finals have been put back by 2 weeks. GF now mid Sept not end of August as planned.
SFL;
Also stop start not helping with fitness, commitment and most of all mental attitude. I'm thinking if we lose this weekend ( looks that way) we should go straight to finals. Like the old top 4 suggestion. Lets finish this season while we can.
Sorry to Highett but I think you were going to Divi 2 anyway.

Nov 14, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
WFL have advised Div 2 clubs that finals have been put back by 2 weeks. GF now mid Sept not end of August as planned.
SFL;
Also stop start not helping with fitness, commitment and most of all mental attitude. I'm thinking if we lose this weekend ( looks that way) we should go straight to finals. Like the old top 4 suggestion. Lets finish this season while we can.
Sorry to Highett but I think you were going to Divi 2 anyway.
You could add one more match and let Highett & Oakleigh playoff to see who stays up. That would generate a decent turnover on the day.
Play it during PF week on whichever day the PF is not being played.

Greg Tivendale

All Australian
Aug 5, 2013
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Miami Heat, QPR, Chicago Blackhawks
Really sad state of affairs. Imagine finishing on top and not getting a double chance, it might have to happen.

Yeah double chance is good as it allows that one off bad game and still keeps your chances a live but I guess if it goes to elimination finals games but we get to close out the season then I'm all for it.

I'm 17 games shy of 300 and feels like at this rate i'll get there in 2027

localfootyman_7

Senior List
May 12, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah double chance is good as it allows that one off bad game and still keeps your chances a live but I guess if it goes to elimination finals games but we get to close out the season then I'm all for it.

I'm 17 games shy of 300 and feels like at this rate i'll get there in 2027
Do we think the season could be gone?

Greg Tivendale

All Australian
Aug 5, 2013
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Miami Heat, QPR, Chicago Blackhawks
Do we think the season could be gone?

I guess it depends on the daily cases. Even then, when we come out of lockdown there may be restrictions on sports like there was last time. No crowds etc. Who knows.

If the SFL can get a 1 v 4, 2 v 3 finals series with the grand final next week they should try and do that but if unable then just call it a day.

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Its over, this clown will have us locked up until vac get up to 80%. Dingley been a fairly dominant side so can rightfully award them the premiership with an *..

Even if restrictions are lifted and finals are allowed to play, there is zero chance of spectators attending so the league would have to put on the finals and not be able to generate any revenue, it would cripple them.

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Its over, this clown will have us locked up until vac get up to 80%. Dingley been a fairly dominant side so can rightfully award them the premiership with an *..

Even if restrictions are lifted and finals are allowed to play, there is zero chance of spectators attending so the league would have to put on the finals and not be able to generate any revenue, it would cripple them.

Financially would no finals be a better option or finals with no crowds.Most likely the same for all clubs if season is only going to go about 10/11 rounds.I still maintain that No.1 is our clubs,sponsors and our leagues have not been hurt to hard financially by this interrupted season and sad ending.

localfootyman_7

Senior List
May 12, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne

. See the sfnl have just updated there finals schedule

Back