SFNL Div 1 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Sonofagun, I hear your point but I think where a lot of us on here are coming from is that the atmosphere we are privy to at our clubs doesn’t feel what it should going into ‘Round 1’.

Training seems flat and that’s the feedback coming from numerous clubs. The feeling amongst the players is that it feels like there is nothing to play for this year.

Those that put the hard yards in, year in year out are the ones still out there because they are the backbones of the club and will do whatever is needed to keep the club alive, however unfortunately burning out these great folk could have a devastating effect.
From day one I’ve been supportive of local footy going ahead, but with the recent spike and possibly looking like we might go back to square one let’s be fair on the players and volunteers. They don’t deserve to be standing out in the cold measuring the distance between supporters whilst trying to make sure the footies are wiped down and 22 drink bottles are filled up, amongst all their other match day duties.

Sfnl still saying they will play with 6 teams
It doesn't help when Clubs are taking the piss. Some Clubs are genuinely up in the air financially and with Player and Volunteer numbers. We get a Zero Salary Cap and then a Club comes out and signs Dane Swan, Aaron Edwards, Brent Macaffer and Luke Potts. Those Clubs that are 50/50 would now surely look at this and say "What's the point?"

HQ are desperate to get off job keeper so they'll wait until the last minute to pull the pin. The narrative that will come out of the league will be always be playing. Even if its an August start. That is until AFL Vic says to turn the lights off & lock the doors boys.

Given that Moorabbin is a closed off training facility for St Kilda they all must be still working from home

The most accurate post on here. They need a full month to ensure Jobkeeper is qualified so we will have both SFNL and VAFA cancelling their season either by the end of this week or early next.

already confirmed the season is cancelled at HO level so just awaiting Jobkeeper and then an announcement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The most accurate post on here. They need a full month to ensure Jobkeeper is qualified so we will have both SFNL and VAFA cancelling their season either by the end of this week or early next.

already confirmed the season is cancelled at HO level so just awaiting Jobkeeper and then an announcement.
If this is the case, why would AFL Vic release a 10 Page "Return to Play" Protocol Document.

Sfnl have been so sure games will go ahead, you think they will make the decision this week to cancel?
This or early next week. 100% SFNL And VAFA will NOT be going ahead and the longer they drag out the decision the more clubs, volunteers and players motivation wanes.

Both league leaders are spineless as they want clubs Like to Highett, Malvern etc to announce they are not going ahead as the league can transfer the reason of their decision on the clubs. Just watch their media release when they cancel, it will mentioned lack of support from clubs as they drop off. That’s why the strong management of the big leagues cancelling early ensures the volunteers and players of their clubs, whilst disappointed are not lumbered with false hope, inordinate time implementing the RTP processes and compliance. Their personal time has been expanded, no stress and are planning for 2021 whilst volunteers in SFNL clubs are stressing over RTP protocols, trying to work Up multiple ‘What ifs’, try to manage costs and revenues if it goes ahead.

the SFNL league has little to no respect of volunteer time and effort as they work and stress over something that is not going to happen.

Make the decision SFNL and alleviate the stress of your member clubs.

Last edited:
It doesn't help when Clubs are taking the piss. Some Clubs are genuinely up in the air financially and with Player and Volunteer numbers. We get a Zero Salary Cap and then a Club comes out and signs Dane Swan, Aaron Edwards, Brent Macaffer and Luke Potts. Those Clubs that are 50/50 would now surely look at this and say "What's the point?"
Port Colts v St K C @ MARVEL STADIUM I'm hearing :)

This or early next week. 100% SFNL And VAFA will NOT be going ahead and the longer they drag out the decision the more clubs, volunteers and players motivation wanes.

Both league leaders are spineless as they want clubs Like to Highett, Malvern etc to announce they are not going ahead as the league can transfer the reason of their decision on the clubs. Just watch their media release when they cancel, it will mentioned lack of support from clubs as they drop off. That’s why the strong management of the big leagues cancelling early ensures the volunteers and players of their clubs, whilst disappointed are not lumbered with false hope, inordinate time implementing the RTP processes and compliance. Their personal time has been expanded, no stress and are planning for 2021 whilst volunteers in SFNL clubs are stressing over RTP protocols, trying to work Up multiple ‘What ifs’, try to manage costs and revenues if it goes ahead.

the SFNL league has little to no respect of volunteer time and effort as they work and stress over something that is not going to happen.

funnily enough - I still think most clubs will train during the season to keep fit. So I really don’t think it’s down to clubs being the issue as volunteers will still happily be there to support if it’s training only.

I think you are speaking opinion based. SFNL clearly told the Clubs last week they will proceed even if it meant a 6 Team Comp. At no stage has the Government come out and supported no adult competition. They could of put everyone out of their misery by doing so. AFL Vic has been dealing with the Government and Local Councils almost daily for the last month. What would be there mindset in letting Clubs continue to train and potentionaly spread the Virus if there was never any intention on playing Senior Footy?

I think you are speaking opinion based. SFNL clearly told the Clubs last week they will proceed even if it meant a 6 Team Comp. At no stage has the Government come out and supported no adult competition. They could of put everyone out of their misery by doing so. AFL Vic has been dealing with the Government and Local Councils almost daily for the last month. What would be there mindset in letting Clubs continue to train and potentionaly spread the Virus if there was never any intention on playing Senior Footy?

Gees a poster on a public forum speaking Opinion based. You must be new to this game!

Your comment : “ What would be there (THEIR) mindset in letting Clubs continue to train and potentionaly spread the Virus if there was never any intention on playing Senior Footy?“.

I ask you, what is the mindset of the 80% of leagues who are not proceeding. I would say exactly that this translate to the community where 80% doing right thing and the 20% have a ‘whim and a pray‘ mentality Which is Why the 2nd wave coming. 70 odd new cases today!! You reckon a responsible community minded CEO of a local football league is holding out for some frigging miracle in 7-14 days so he can run a 6 club competition....Really!!

CEO of much bigger leagues made the right decision weeks ago, it’s the try hard CEOs who cant make decisions.

SFNL is not going ahead so Just announce the decision so clubs, their players and volunteers can stop having stress and anxiety over the situation through false hope.

Gees a poster on a public forum speaking Opinion based. You must be new to this game!

Your comment : “ What would be there (THEIR) mindset in letting Clubs continue to train and potentially spread the Virus if there was never any intention on playing Senior Footy?“.

I ask you, what is the mindset of the 80% of leagues who are not proceeding. I would say exactly that this translate to the community where 80% doing right thing and the 20% have a ‘whim and a pray‘ mentality Which is Why the 2nd wave coming. 70 odd new cases today!! You reckon a responsible community minded CEO of a local football league is holding out for some frigging miracle in 7-14 days so he can run a 6 club competition....Really!!

CEO of much bigger leagues made the right decision weeks ago, it’s the try hard CEOs who cant make decisions.

SFNL is not going ahead so Just announce the decision so clubs, their players and volunteers can stop having stress and anxiety over the situation through false hope.
When I mentioned "Opinion based" I was taking the piss out of you. The way you are speaking is that you have some sort of inside mail. You are guessing and probably come from a League that has already pulled the pin. 80% of Clubs have pulled out because it's a Financial Risk. 20% of Country Footballers are on big coin and travelling up there from Melbourne for that reason. No Coin = No Footballers, it makes it hard for Country Clubs to proceed. Northern, Eastern and EDFL all pay big coin. VAFA don't pay coin and SFNL would average the least out of player payments compared to most Comps. There are 195 active cases in Vic out of 6 million people. 85% of those cases are in certain suburbs. Whilst it's not helping, I still don't hear the Government jumping on Junior or Senior Sporting Competitions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back