SFNL Div 2 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I’m still around lol. Haven’t been on here a whole lot lately.
For the record I think it’s not the worst idea for the Eagles to stay in Div 2.
The club will have a different line up and a new Comittee.
The sides in div 2 provide plenty of local derbies where as the sides in div 1 are mostly a fair travel away.
If Oakleigh are a stronger side and are willing to stay up then it makes div 1 a better Comp also.

I don’t think anything is locked in stone yet in terms of a decision on what div they will be in though.Be interesting to see what the league decide.

Last edited:
I’m still around lol. Haven’t been on here a whole lot lately.
For the record I think it’s not the worst idea for the Eagles to stay in Div 2.
The club will have a different line up and a new Comittee.
The sides in div 2 provide plenty of local derbies where as the sides in div 1 are mostly a fair travel away.
If Oakleigh are a stronger side and are willing to stay up then it makes div 1 a better Comp also.

I don’t think anything is locked in stone yet in terms of a decision on what div they will be in though.Be interesting to see what the league decide.

What’s the issue? Lack of players/lack of depth/lack of talent?

How is it not locked in stone?

You win the flag, you go up. Simple as that.

If Doveton and/or South Yarra don't go up, the entire SFNL board should resign en masse, because we will be the laughing stock of football in Melbourne, if we aren't already!

Very weak effort from the Eagles asking to stay down. Happy to lash out big money and win the flag, but don’t want to go up and have a crack at playing division 1. Let’s hope the SFNL promote them as per normal.

Extremely weak. At our club we want to play Div 1 and embraced it when we won the flag. We struggled (As we did last time we were in Div 1 and don’t have the financial situation of most other D1 clubs ) but would never contemplate giving up the chance. Every club should strive to play the highest level they can and not give up at the first sign of it being difficult. If the SFNL allow this then it’s a joke. We have one up one down, simple.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard from plenty at AFLOE Granny that payments are sluggish and that at least 1/2 there 1s had already left, about 30 were out overall (incl old blokes hanging up boots) So no great surprise to see them requesting to stay down. Lose your best players and lack of funds = disaster in div1 2020. Anyway we have all seen it before, throw out $$$ chase flags, arse falls out of $$$$$$, club gonski, reform as ammo's, etc ect

Last edited:
Fairly simple solution. Doveton should be docked 16 points for failing to meet its obligations. Same with any other club that does the same. Clubs that step up, like Caulfield did a few years ago, should be given a 30% reduction in their fees. The real underlying problem is that there are too many clubs that have no juniors and therefore no long term future. Mt Waverley folded overnight when a number of their players suddenly retired. There are many clubs in the same boat. Murrumbeena is the logical choice to be promoted to Div 1 and they should be asked. They are the best fit, have strong juniors and are a stable well run club.

Fairly simple solution. Doveton should be docked 16 points for failing to meet its obligations. Same with any other club that does the same. Clubs that step up, like Caulfield did a few years ago, should be given a 30% reduction in their fees. The real underlying problem is that there are too many clubs that have no juniors and therefore no long term future. Mt Waverley folded overnight when a number of their players suddenly retired. There are many clubs in the same boat. Murrumbeena is the logical choice to be promoted to Div 1 and they should be asked. They are the best fit, have strong juniors and are a stable well run club.

Springvale would go up before us. Very well run club, plenty of numbers and cash isn't an issue. If Beena was offered i'm confident they'd take it up

Hampton Park will move into a new division with a new coach in 2020.
Justin Hill, who guided the Redbacks to the SFNL Division 3 premiership this year, is relocating to the Gold Coast with work and has stood down.
Experienced onballer Shannon Henwood, a former senior coach at Doveton, will replace him.
Hill coached the Redbacks for only one season, producing seniors and reserves flags.
It was their first senior premiership in 21 years.

Hill said he was disappointed he was leaving but believed Hampton Park was well placed for its promotion to Division 2.
“A work opportunity came up, something I’d been looking forward to for a few years,’’ Hill said. “It’s come up now and I’m taking off with the family.
“I was definitely going to coach again if this didn’t crop up. There was a possibility it was going to happen and we put in place that Shannon would take over if it did.
“The list is in a really strong position. I think we can compete very well in Division 2, no matter who is in charge.

“As you go up in divisions I think the key position players play a big role. I think we’re pretty strong with our mids and small forwards. If we could give Luke Behin a bit of help in the ruck and maybe get a big defender, yeah, that’s what I’ve put forward to the club.
“Like I said, the club is set up pretty well now going forward. We had a good relationship with the junior club throughout the year and hopefully we can get an Under 19 side back up and running soon so we don’t have to rely too heavily on recruiting and we’ve got our own players coming through. ’’
Hill said he had enjoyed his time at Hampton Park immensely.
For Henwood, 30, it’s a return to senior coaching.
The son of Doveton great Don Henwood, he was 23 when he was appointed at Doves. He did the job for three years.
A decorated senior player, he moved to Hampton Park two years ago.
“I’m pretty excited to be taking over, to be honest,’’ Henwood said.
“It’s good to be going up a division. It’s going to be a challenge, hard work. But definitely looking forward to it because Division 3 was a little bit tough at times with only six teams. It’s going to better for everyone to go to Division 2 and test ourselves every week.
“For me, I won’t be trying to reinvent the wheel. We’ll just be trying to follow on from the good work of this year, putting a few little spins on things and changing it slightly, but nothing too dramatic.’’
Henwood will be assisted by former Casey Cardinia league best and fairest Michael Henry, who is returning to the club after a year off.
Henry won best and fairests at Doveton and Hampton Park and will add a splash of class to the Redbacks’ midfield.
“I’m pretty confident we can do well with the team we have. Having said that, you always want to improve your list,’’ Henwood said.
“If we can pick up four or five players, which it looks like we’re going to do, it means we’ll be really competitive.’’

Justin Hill, who guided the Redbacks to the SFNL Division 3 premiership this year, is relocating to the Gold Coast with work and has stood down.
Experienced onballer Shannon Henwood, a former senior coach at Doveton, will replace him.
Hill coached the Redbacks for only one season, producing seniors and reserves flags.

Hill said he was disappointed he was leaving but believed Hampton Park was well placed for its promotion to Division 2.
“A work opportunity came up, something I’d been looking forward to for a few years,’’ Hill said. “It’s come up now and I’m taking off with the family.
“I was definitely going to coach again if this didn’t crop up. There was a possibility it was going to happen and we put in place that Shannon would take over if it did.
“The list is in a really strong position. I think we can compete very well in Division 2, no matter who is in charge.

“As you go up in divisions I think the key position players play a big role. I think we’re pretty strong with our mids and small forwards. If we could give Luke Behin a bit of help in the ruck and maybe get a big defender, yeah, that’s what I’ve put forward to the club.
“Like I said, the club is set up pretty well now going forward. We had a good relationship with the junior club throughout the year and hopefully we can get an Under 19 side back up and running soon so we don’t have to rely too heavily on recruiting and we’ve got our own players coming through. ’’
The son of Doveton great Don Henwood, he was 23 when he was appointed at Doves. He did the job for three years.
“It’s good to be going up a division. It’s going to be a challenge, hard work. But definitely looking forward to it because Division 3 was a little bit tough at times with only six teams. It’s going to better for everyone to go to Division 2 and test ourselves every week.
“For me, I won’t be trying to reinvent the wheel. We’ll just be trying to follow on from the good work of this year, putting a few little spins on things and changing it slightly, but nothing too dramatic.’’
Henwood will be assisted by former Casey Cardinia league best and fairest Michael Henry, who is returning to the club after a year off.
Henry won best and fairests at Doveton and Hampton Park and will add a splash of class to the Redbacks’ midfield.
“I’m pretty confident we can do well with the team we have. Having said that, you always want to improve your list,’’ Henwood said.
“If we can pick up four or five players, which it looks like we’re going to do, it means we’ll be really competitive.’’

Henwood a great appointment and Henry back is a huge inclusion for your boys.

Will be interesting to see what the league does with Doveton Eagles...

Assume Oakleigh District will be glad to stay up if possible!

this happened quick. I was with Shannon on the weekend and Juz was still in the job at that point but it was always a possibility. didn't know Pickles was playing again so that's a huge get for the Redbacks. looking forward to watching div 2 footy again. should be a good comp. hopefully the good Friday game is HP and SD again but I know there's a slight debate over who should host it.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back