SFNL Div 2 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

If those 3 sides were to come across to SFNL they would have to go into Div 1.

I get the idea of not allowing sides to just start in the top division in the past, but Cranbourne, Narre Warren and Beaconsfield are a class above other sides that have come across.

They are well run, very well resourced clubs that would be far above the level of existing Div 2 clubs.

They would be a massive win for the league if they were able to attract them across but those clubs would most certainly say no if they had to start in Div 2.

The reason the VAFA are struggling has allot to do with demographics and travel. Div 1 SFNL do not have that with the exception of Port Colts. If by chance teams from SEFNL do decide to apply, the SFNL will not enter them in Div 1, and need they should. If Div 2 becomes stronger then teams that win the flag can come up. Existing Div 1 clubs deserve to stay there and let the promotion and relegation continue. There's even talk that Div 1 and 2 will be reduced to 8 teams, thus making the comp stronger as well as down the grades.

The VAFA is struggling? Ok

You drop new clubs in wherever they fit best. If you are going to err then that would be putting them too high. If you put them too low then you just destroy a season for a whole division who get walked all over by an opponent that’s obviously too strong.

The whole point of divisions is for the most even competition possible.

As for how it happens, promotion relegation expanded league etc, it’s all theoretical and would depend on the club and circumstances.

If those 3 sides were to come across to SFNL they would have to go into Div 1.

I get the idea of not allowing sides to just start in the top division in the past, but Cranbourne, Narre Warren and Beaconsfield are a class above other sides that have come across.

They are well run, very well resourced clubs that would be far above the level of existing Div 2 clubs.

They would be a massive win for the league if they were able to attract them across but those clubs would most certainly say no if they had to start in Div 2.

It’s a pretty laughable theory.

Oh hey Division 2, none of you have a hope of winning a flag in the next three years cos these three huge clubs are coming in and will dominate. Enjoy!

Yeah great.

If it was to happen, the best way to do it would be put them in D1 and have a season without a D2 promotion. You then have a 12 team D1 and give everyone a shot, and work on it in the next year/s to get it back down to 10

Those 3 will be at the pointy end in Div1. I think it would be a great move for the league plus a huge influx for the netball

Remember the clubs no longer have voting rights on this so the deal can be done without any approval from clubs. Can’t believe the clubs have allowed that right to be taken away.

These clubs would change a few other things in the Comp. They would charge gate fees for a start. You would have to give them finals hosting as well. Beaconsfield and Casey Fields would be the two best facilities in the league by far. Narre and Doveton not too far behind and Officer about to be upgraded as well. Paky a fantastic venue if they joined. The quality of grounds in this comp would get a huge boost.

Last edited:
Remember the clubs no longer have voting rights on this so the deal can be done without any approval from clubs. Can’t believe the clubs have allowed that right to be taken away.

These clubs would change a few other things in the Comp. They would charge gate fees for a start. You would have to give them finals hosting as well. Beaconsfield and Casey Fields would be the two best facilities in the league by far. Narre and Doveton not too far behind and Officer about to be upgraded as well. Paky a fantastic venue if they joined. The quality of grounds in this comp would get a huge boost.
I am sure they would be willing to compromise on the gate admission the only reason it’s not in now is half the clubs aren’t gated

The VAFA is struggling? Ok

You drop new clubs in wherever they fit best. If you are going to err then that would be putting them too high. If you put them too low then you just destroy a season for a whole division who get walked all over by an opponent that’s obviously too strong.

The whole point of divisions is for the most even competition possible.

As for how it happens, promotion relegation expanded league etc, it’s all theoretical and would depend on the club and circumstances.
Not sure which SNFL competition he has been watching.

Not sure which SNFL competition he has been watching.

Personally think this is a move the SFNL has to make to guarantee it’s long term future as a league, Doveton choosing the league is a great advertisement to the other Outer East clubs and they should now be moving heaven and earth to get Beacy, Narre and Cranbourne, who are clearly unhappy in OE and have been rejected by the MPNFL.

This is the SFNL’s chance to secure its footprint in the major growth area in the long term which will benefit all its clubs in the decades to come in terms of standard and ability to retain and recruit. Especially with the MPNFL constantly trying to poach clubs.

Now is the time to strike, get a deal done for Oakleigh Dist or Highett to drop into D2 for 2022 alongside Doveton for a 12 team comp.

Then you have 9 clubs and can welcome the other 3 into a 12 club D1.

12-12-8-8

After a suitable number of seasons for everybody to settle and be given notice, that can be adjusted to 10-10-10-10.

Personally think this is a move the SFNL has to make to guarantee it’s long term future as a league, Doveton choosing the league is a great advertisement to the other Outer East clubs and they should now be moving heaven and earth to get Beacy, Narre and Cranbourne, who are clearly unhappy in OE and have been rejected by the MPNFL.

This is the SFNL’s chance to secure its footprint in the major growth area in the long term which will benefit all its clubs in the decades to come in terms of standard and ability to retain and recruit. Especially with the MPNFL constantly trying to poach clubs.

Now is the time to strike, get a deal done for Oakleigh Dist or Highett to drop into D2 for 2022 alongside Doveton for a 12 team comp.

Then you have 9 clubs and can welcome the other 3 into a 12 club D1.

12-12-8-8

After a suitable number of seasons for everybody to settle and be given notice, that can be adjusted to 10-10-10-10.
What you're proposing is not a Southern league

Cranbourne no longer at Casey Fields, moved locations this year.

What you're proposing is not a Southern league
Its all southern territory, it would just no longer be a league built around the inner bayside clubs being the core of it. It was always a strong possibility once HP and Narre Sth were accepted. Add Endeavour Hiils and Hallam as recent additions and the league has really been creeping out into that growth corridor for years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its all southern territory, it would just no longer be a league built around the inner bayside clubs being the core of it. It was always a strong possibility once HP and Narre Sth were accepted. Add Endeavour Hiils and Hallam as recent additions and the league has really been creeping out into that growth corridor for years.
So what do you call it as it's really like the old days . The South Eastern Footy League

So what do you call it as it's really like the old days . The South Eastern Footy League
It’ll stay Southern. Your right though, the comp would have a much different feel and look.

The negative argument for this I reckon is the league will be inheriting the same problems that make it a headache for the old YVMDFL clubs now, added travel & dominant teams at the top of div 1.

local footy is about local rivalry and relationships between neighbouring clubs. There isn’t much Port Melbourne, StKilda City or Mordi have in common with Beaconsfield, Cranbourne or Narre.
Travelling an hour plus to play local metro footy isn’t too appealing to anyone.

These clubs have proven far too strong for teams in a competition that was ranked much better than this one. Anyone who thinks they won’t dominate this league underestimates them. Not to mention the absolute demolition jobs that are going on in the outer east reserves and 19s. Completely non competitive.

The problem is where else do they go?
The YVMDFL has been ruined by the same changes now being put to this comp.

For me (and as others have also posted) the answer is AFL Vic seperate them and place these clubs in the leagues best suited to their strength and location. It’s long overdue.

On the flip side, new clubs in that region are coming and will need a home. Berwick Springs, Doveton, new sides in Clyde etc would fit quite well in the SFNL lower divs. Does the league bite the bullet and take all sides all the way out to paky and embrace the change? Challenge the clubs in Div 1 to get better? In the process they take control of one of the biggest and fastest growing population corridors in the country. Immediately increase revenue and finally have a strong under 19s.

who knows, in time they may go with a conference set up and remove some of the travel concerns (bayside & south east, several divs in each? Maybe with a premier division above both conferences even?)

Let’s hope AFL Vic finally do something positive and sort it out.

Last edited:
On the flip side, new clubs in that region are coming and will need a home. Berwick Springs, Doveton, new sides in Clyde etc would fit quite well in the SFNL lower divs. Does the league bite the bullet and take all sides all the way out to paky and embrace the change? Challenge the clubs in Div 1 to get better? In the process they take control of one of the biggest and fastest growing population corridors in the country. Immediately increase revenue and finally have a strong under 19s.

The current top 4 in Div 1 would be more than competitive with the new clubs, for a start.

We are talking about some big clubs but the current top of SFNL D1 are not pushovers.

The current top 4 in Div 1 would be more than competitive with the new clubs, for a start.

We are talking about some big clubs but the current top of SFNL D1 are not pushovers.
Not to disrespect the top end of the league but if they end up in the comp next year I’d be happy to have a friendly bet with you on Beacy playing Narre or Cranbourne in the Grand final.

Always tough to gauge the standard of different leagues but I thought Berwicks efforts to win 3 games and be reasonably competitive in eastern Premier div this year showed the quality of the south eastern big 4. Not sure Dingley for example would have faired as well. Who knows what off season recruiting might bring though.

Not to disrespect the top end of the league but if they end up in the comp next year I’d be happy to have a friendly bet with you on Beacy playing Narre or Cranbourne in the Grand final.

Always tough to gauge the standard of different leagues but I thought Berwicks efforts to win 3 games and be reasonably competitive in eastern Premier div this year showed the quality of the south eastern big 4. Not sure Dingley for example would have faired as well. Who knows what off season recruiting might bring though.
Agree they will do exactly what they did to the Yarra valley teams, happy to see them go to your league.

...and Berwick lost a couple of games by small margins. Shocking ground to play footy when the wind is blowing.

I was talking to a mate who is involved in the Eastern League and he was quite disparaging of Berwick. When I suggested they would come close to playing finals he just smirked that they would go straight down. He has since changed his tune and added that they have complimented the competition and given a few of the bigger clubs a bit of reality check. Berwick are a very well run club with great facilities...except for that bloody wind..

The SNFL desperately need a reality check. Dingley discovered this in their practice match against Noble Park.

I was talking to a mate who is involved in the Eastern League and he was quite disparaging of Berwick. When I suggested they would come close to playing finals he just smirked that they would go straight down. He has since changed his tune and added that they have complimented the competition and given a few of the bigger clubs a bit of reality check. Berwick are a very well run club with great facilities...except for that bloody wind..

The SNFL desperately need a reality check. Dingley discovered this in their practice match against Noble Park.
A reality check you say ????? You have to be joking, i can tell you now that speaking to numerous colleagues and players from Div 1 and 2 that there would be a big challenge for approval to teams from Cranny, Berwick, Clyde, Packy, Doveton, and whoever else out that way as most players, supporters, and alike do not want to travel that far to play footy. I know we some already, but any more is questionable. The Ammos have that issue now and the way its going, players will choose not to play. Perhaps Divisional Footy according to demographics is the future. One thing though, the SFNL would be interested financially as they are not that flush with $$$$$$. Further more, think of the umpires who have to travel an hour for a game, the young kids, male and female who need their parents to transport them to games just to run the boundary etc and the goals as well. Plenty to play out i feel.

Yep more than possible they'd play off in a GF, I just don't think the three clubs would come in and be a mile off in the distance ahead of the pack. The top few clubs in SFNL would be up for the challenge and competitive I think.

Tough one all round and agree with many of you. Would be great to boost the league with 3-4 quality sides. Massive drop between Div 1 and Div 2. Any of the above mentioned sides coming into Div 2 will play finals. Only way I can see it happening is 12 Team Div 1 and Div 2.

The travel is a huge negative though and couldn’t agree more about the umps. Hard enough getting some of the kids to local games let alone out to Narre and beyond.

I feel for all the teams who made the finals. There’s no better feeling to go up a division on the back of a GF win. Absence of this really leaves an empty sour feeling.

I can also see some clubs finding it tough to survive over the next 2-4 years. Coming out of lockdown, a lot of players will be keen to travel and make the most of restrictions easing, sadly just don’t think local footy will be on top of many lists. I really hope I’m wrong!

Travel is a copout. How can Frankston, Cerberus, South Mornington, Narre South be okay in lower divisions but not in the higher divisions?

We’re not in the days of horse and buggy here. Local clubs travel far and wide and it’s not hard to get around Melbourne.

Also think if this happened you’d probably see the league with its higher quality become a lot more attractive and before too long you’d have more clubs wanting in that closer to the current heartland anyway. Talking the MPNFL clubs north of Frankston and perhaps a couple of VAFA clubs too.

Yep more than possible they'd play off in a GF, I just don't think the three clubs would come in and be a mile off in the distance ahead of the pack. The top few clubs in SFNL would be up for the challenge and competitive I think.
Dingley joined the SNFL broke and within a couple of days of closing the doors. They have basically dominated the competition. Port Colts came to the SNFL after struggling in their last couple of years in the Western league. The club was split about moving to the SNFL. They have made their mark on the competition. The stronger SNFL teams (prior to Dingley & Colts) have been treading water knowing they do not need much to get into finals. Bring in the three new teams to make it a 12 team competition, and then have relegation and promotion of two teams like the Ammo's and you will struggle to see any of the older SFL teams play finals as regularly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back