I'll have a crack

F - R.Robertson, T.Kumetatis, D.Carroll
CHF - F.Martichinno, A.Read, D.Bone
C - J.Capman, J.Marriott, J.O'Neil
CHB - N.Strom, A.Shedlock, D.Chin
FB - S.Chin, M.McGuiness, D.Jose
Foll - J.Malek, P.Ward, E.Samadi
Bench - B.Hoe, J. Toole, Corrie Wilson, K.Finnlayson
No Cam Riley ?? Held Ashwood together in the back half of the year! Pacey wing/hff with all the skills.

Congrats to both sides for making it to the GF from 3rd and 4th respectively and also to Doveton for taking it out in what sounded like a seesaw of a game.

Now to more pressing issues for those of us left behind!

I heard yesterday that the SFL are looking at options for next year in Div 3 (& 4) in 2018. At present, it looks like a 14 team comp! IMO, I just don't think that a 14 team comp is a viable option, especially with only one team being promoted at seasons end. Before someone else says it, yes, the AFL has 18 teams and makes it work but is the SFL anywhere near as organized as the AFL, or more importantly, is any clubs membership base large enough to help sustain it??

Here's my thoughts:

As per my previous post, Div 3 = 8 teams (playing each other twice and some) and Div 4 = 6 teams (playing each other 4 times over 20 weeks); or

Div 3 and Div 4 each having 7 teams. Each team plays each other 3 times and has 3 byes for the year. The season would be played over 21 weeks and rather than play a Top 5 finals system over 4 weeks, they play a Top 4 system over 3 week. I know no-one likes the Bye, but this option gives the struggling clubs (and it could be anyone of us at any given time) an opportunity to get their Club back on the right track. There would be NO weekend off for the long weekend in June or the Rep round!

As previously stated, I am the coach at Sandown and I'd rather see my Club grow by being competitive each week against 'like' opposition rather than play in a 14 team comp where there is the real possibility we could play the top teams a couple of times as happened in the last four rounds this year where we played Ashwood, Hallam, South Yarra and Doveton!! Pretty harsh finish!!

Div 3 - Springvale Dist., Heatherton, Endeavour Hills, Hallam, Ashwood, Black Rock, Hampton Park

Div 4 - South Yarra, Lyndhurst, Lyndale, Moorabbin, CPL, Sandown, Dandenong

This discussion is obviously going to be thrown around at club committee meetings but it would be good to hear peoples thoughts on here.

it is hard enough getting player to play in div3 you will lose players when you tell them you are going to play in div 4

it is hard enough getting player to play in div3 you will lose players when you tell them you are going to play in div 4
It's a fair comment and I both agree and disagree!

There will be those players out there that find it more important that their pockets are lined with coin rather than being loyal to a Club but there are a hell of a lot of men out their that love playing football, love playing with their mates and love the Club that they are at! I've only been associated with the SFL for 12 months and there are a lot of players running around in Div 3 that aren't worth the coin.

I beg to differ on the 'Players won't play Div 4 footy' comment due to the fact that one of the most successful competitions going around (the VAFA) have 7 grades of Seniors Footy as well as multiple grades of Under 19 and also 3 or 4 grades of Club 18 footy. I believe they cater to 75+ clubs!

This is a good forum to throw pro's and con's around, particularly the teams in the bottom half of Div 3 who would most definitely be playing in Div 4 if it eventuates. We may even be able to come up with answers for our own Clubs moving forward!!

Congrats to both sides for making it to the GF from 3rd and 4th respectively and also to Doveton for taking it out in what sounded like a seesaw of a game.

Now to more pressing issues for those of us left behind!

I heard yesterday that the SFL are looking at options for next year in Div 3 (& 4) in 2018. At present, it looks like a 14 team comp! IMO, I just don't think that a 14 team comp is a viable option, especially with only one team being promoted at seasons end. Before someone else says it, yes, the AFL has 18 teams and makes it work but is the SFL anywhere near as organized as the AFL, or more importantly, is any clubs membership base large enough to help sustain it??

Here's my thoughts:

As per my previous post, Div 3 = 8 teams (playing each other twice and some) and Div 4 = 6 teams (playing each other 4 times over 20 weeks); or

Div 3 and Div 4 each having 7 teams. Each team plays each other 3 times and has 3 byes for the year. The season would be played over 21 weeks and rather than play a Top 5 finals system over 4 weeks, they play a Top 4 system over 3 week. I know no-one likes the Bye, but this option gives the struggling clubs (and it could be anyone of us at any given time) an opportunity to get their Club back on the right track. There would be NO weekend off for the long weekend in June or the Rep round!

As previously stated, I am the coach at Sandown and I'd rather see my Club grow by being competitive each week against 'like' opposition rather than play in a 14 team comp where there is the real possibility we could play the top teams a couple of times as happened in the last four rounds this year where we played Ashwood, Hallam, South Yarra and Doveton!! Pretty harsh finish!!

Div 3 - Springvale Dist., Heatherton, Endeavour Hills, Hallam, Ashwood, Black Rock, Hampton Park

Div 4 - South Yarra, Lyndhurst, Lyndale, Moorabbin, CPL, Sandown, Dandenong

This discussion is obviously going to be thrown around at club committee meetings but it would be good to hear peoples thoughts on here.
I've heard that Clayton are asking to go straight down to div 3 and Springvale have asked to stay up in div 2. Lot of talk around Chelsea coming in as well. Cerberus have an arrangement with Crib point which might allow them to play a seniors and reserves in the new div 4.
Some chance one of the existing div 3 clubs will not get up next year but if the league do push to 4 divs you would think the club in question would be given a hand to get a side up.

Last edited:
Not really on board with that - sometimes you gotta take the pain

When BR failed to pay league fees we opted to stay in div 2 where knew there was gonna be pain and went winless through no fault of our own

Not really on board with that - sometimes you gotta take the pain

When BR failed to pay league fees we opted to stay in div 2 where knew there was gonna be pain and went winless through no fault of our own
So what's been your excuse in struggling in Div 3 since coming down? Maybe their was some fault.

7-7-4-6 is a poor result for a div 2 club in 4 years of Div 3, be honest.

New cubs in Hallam and Hillbillies gone past you and I think BR won a flag year after relegated.

Danger of becoming a "tread water" club like Lyndale.

Last edited:
It's a fair comment and I both agree and disagree!

There will be those players out there that find it more important that their pockets are lined with coin rather than being loyal to a Club but there are a hell of a lot of men out their that love playing football, love playing with their mates and love the Club that they are at! I've only been associated with the SFL for 12 months and there are a lot of players running around in Div 3 that aren't worth the coin.

I beg to differ on the 'Players won't play Div 4 footy' comment due to the fact that one of the most successful competitions going around (the VAFA) have 7 grades of Seniors Footy as well as multiple grades of Under 19 and also 3 or 4 grades of Club 18 footy. I believe they cater to 75+ clubs!

This is a good forum to throw pro's and con's around, particularly the teams in the bottom half of Div 3 who would most definitely be playing in Div 4 if it eventuates. We may even be able to come up with answers for our own Clubs moving forward!!

Unfortunately the answers may not be nice to your club.

Unfortunately the answers may not be nice to your club.
And I wouldn't blame people for kicking us whilst we're down but I'm just getting a feel for how everyone feels about the possibility of splitting Div 3? And with more teams possibly wanting to join, would you rather a 16 team comp?? I wouldn't.

The bonus for Div 3 is that there'll be some corker games every weekend without the massive blowouts that occurred this year.

As for me, I've got my job cut out for me trying to get my Club up and going and we've been working pretty hard since the last game to put things in place. Only time will tell how soon we can get back to the pointier end of the ladder like we were not too long ago (2012 and 2014 I believe) and the wheel does turn!

Believe me Bounceback, the last thing I want is for my Club to be getting whipped every week. It's not a good feeling but it's a credit to our lads that we fielded two teams each week and at least had a crack.

There is some truth to the bit about 'players won't play Div 4'. The VAFA does have 7 divisions - but the bottom four have been renamed twice (to D1 to D4, to 'Div 1' to 'Div 4'), to disguise the fact that they are really Divs 4 to 7 (or D through G Sections as they used to be called). I thought this was a crock, but blokes I know at lower section clubs reckon that it is bloody hard to get recruits if you say you play in E or F Grade - players who look interested just turn off when they hear F Grade.

As for the planned Div 4, personally I think 6 teams is too small. They would play each other four times in regular season and up to 6 times for the year (if the 2nd semi-finalists play off in the GF). From what I've heard from some country leagues this can lead to a build up of bad blood between players, or between clubs, because they get to renew hostilities way too often. I think the SFNL should keep Div 3 as is until they reach 14 teams, then split it 8-7 once they get a 15th side in (if they ever do).

And I wouldn't blame people for kicking us whilst we're down but I'm just getting a feel for how everyone feels about the possibility of splitting Div 3? And with more teams possibly wanting to join, would you rather a 16 team comp?? I wouldn't.

The bonus for Div 3 is that there'll be some corker games every weekend without the massive blowouts that occurred this year.

As for me, I've got my job cut out for me trying to get my Club up and going and we've been working pretty hard since the last game to put things in place. Only time will tell how soon we can get back to the pointier end of the ladder like we were not too long ago (2012 and 2014 I believe) and the wheel does turn!

Believe me Bounceback, the last thing I want is for my Club to be getting whipped every week. It's not a good feeling but it's a credit to our lads that we fielded two teams each week and at least had a crack.

All fair points

But believe me all other clubs hate seeing your club continually smashed every week. It stuffs the whole competition up when sides who get you twice have an unfair advantage over clubs that play you once.

We play in a competition we're teams compete, and for all clubs to look at who you are playing to work out the percentage boost opportunity goes against this

I don't agree in the Div 4 scenario as why try to hide stuffed clubs or why should the league attract more financial exposure

I hope your club turns it around but if it just deals up the +200 point smashing every week then it's time to merge or close I'm sorry.

So what's been your excuse in struggling in Div 3 since coming down? Maybe their was some fault.

7-7-4-6 is a poor result for a div 2 club in 4 years of Div 3, be honest.

New cubs in Hallam and Hillbillies gone past you and I think BR won a flag year after relegated.

Danger of becoming a "tread water" club like Lyndale.

The point is that we stayed in a higher div when we didn't have to - that would be through no fault of ours - this has nothing to do with our history since then

So for a div 1 team to ask to go straight to div 3 is poor for mine...like all clubs have to, dig in and see what you can do with what you've got

The point is that we stayed in a higher div when we didn't have to - that would be through no fault of ours - this has nothing to do with our history since then

So for a div 1 team to ask to go straight to div 3 is poor for mine...like all clubs have to, dig in and see what you can do with what you've got

Correct just like Heatherton and Brighton had to do. So for Clayton to squeal poor then they will not get sympathy from those clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No Cam Riley ?? Held Ashwood together in the back half of the year! Pacey wing/hff with all the skills.

Turn it up..
T . Kumetatis did kick any goals against top 5 side's all year. Same as S . Peake from Ashwood.
Anyone can kick a bag against bottom 6 side's in Div3.
Terrible side there..

Turn it up..
T . Kumetatis did kick any goals against top 5 side's all year. Same as S . Peake from Ashwood.
Terrible side there..

Wouldn't most full forwards kick more goals against the lower ranked teams. Bloke has kicked 60+ his last 3 years at Lyndale and kicked 40 odd in 8 games in div 2.

Turn it up..
Terrible side there..
As i said Cam Riley is a speedy half forward/ wing..where Kumetatis plays deep forward. Maybe Kumetatis gets a spot on the bench but Riley is a sure starter.

Hampton Park will start Div 3. Springvale and Heatherton also from what I've heard all clubs notified
Crazy if true! Why start 3 clubs in an area over 5-6years and then let a much stronger club into the comp to impede their development?

Doveton, Lyndale, Lyndhurst, Hallam, Dandenong and I'd guess Sandown and end hills have player lists made of guys that live in that Lyndhurst- Clyde growth corridor. Why would our league assist a cashed up outside club right in our key recruitment area to get stronger and hurt the future of existing sfl clubs?

Supporting the growth of existing clubs should be priority one for head office

Keep up the good work Ange, from all reports, you are doing a great job down there. Sandown need a positive change, and you feel like the bloke to lead it.

Keep up the good work Ange, from all reports, you are doing a great job down there. Sandown need a positive change, and you feel like the bloke to lead it.
Thanks Ac. There is a small group (which is growing) which is all for the Club turning it's fortunes around. I'm just glad I can be part of it and hope we get the job done!

Hampton Park will start Div 3. Springvale and Heatherton also from what I've heard all clubs notified
Makes for a 14 team competition which I personally don't think will work!

If they do go ahead with it, I just hope the powers that be look at equalizing the draw so like teams play each other twice, ie. CPL, Moorabbin, Dandenong & Sandown, then the top 4 or 5 and the middle 4 or 5. At least if they try to equalize it, there is less of an advantage to teams looking for percentage boosters because they're lucky enough to play bottom teams twice.

We finished the year playing 4 of the top six in the last four rounds! And when you're struggling for numbers because it's been a s**t year, I can assure you it wasn't pretty!

Makes for a 14 team competition which I personally don't think will work!

If they do go ahead with it, I just hope the powers that be look at equalizing the draw so like teams play each other twice, ie. CPL, Moorabbin, Dandenong & Sandown, then the top 4 or 5 and the middle 4 or 5. At least if they try to equalize it, there is less of an advantage to teams looking for percentage boosters because they're lucky enough to play bottom teams twice.

We finished the year playing 4 of the top six in the last four rounds! And when you're struggling for numbers because it's been a s**t year, I can assure you it wasn't pretty!

Valid point, but disagree grouping like teams. It's basically dividing Div 3 into 2 divisions.

SY didn't make the finals, but were very close so a consequence they play Hallam EH etc twice, while CPL as a consequence of being very average get to play Dandenong and Sandown twice. SY could end up 0-4 while CPL could be 4-0.....

Like I said, valid point because no one likes 30 goal blowouts but it's effectively creating Div 3a and Div 3b

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back