SFNL Division 1 2017

WHO WILL WIN THE 2017 DIV 1 FLAG

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Colts lost Clarke and Sutcliffe so unless they've got some real talent recruits its hard to see them competitive
Clarke not leaving Colts have recruited well and have a few more they are in discussions with
New coach that led Colts to
6 grand finals in the 2000's They are in very good hands

all depends on getting recruits across the line. I heard they are speaking to A grade quality but I'm not going early just yet

Id advise the A grade recruits to check the bank balance first. The Clays may need to square up with the SFNL and 2016 contract players first.

It has been a rich recruiting drive for East Malvern: St Kilda City league representative ruckman Brad Nuereth, former Blackburn captain Jeff Ryan and Drouin pair Luke Duffy and Brod Frazer have also signed at the club.
From Leader Local Footy, EM seriously pushing for a flag

It has been a rich recruiting drive for East Malvern: St Kilda City league representative ruckman Brad Nuereth, former Blackburn captain Jeff Ryan and Drouin pair Luke Duffy and Brod Frazer have also signed at the club.
From Leader Local Footy, EM seriously pushing for a flag
Definitely look the team to beat with the recruits from Rye as well. What hasn't been mentioned is their losses. They averaged about 42 points per game last year with their best side. Looked to have added up to 8 players some with AFL and EFL/MPNFL BnF's to their name so 4 to 5 pointers at least. Good problem to have I guess.

Definitely look the team to beat with the recruits from Rye as well. What hasn't been mentioned is their losses. They averaged about 42 points per game last year with their best side. Looked to have added up to 8 players some with AFL and EFL/MPNFL BnF's to their name so 4 to 5 pointers at least. Good problem to have I guess.
St.Kilda City surely in the same boat?

St.Kilda City surely in the same boat?
Coming from a long way back behind last years finalists. By all reports a gun Full Forward which will suit City's ground but will need more than a few to get it to him on Springvales Ground. Although he has been there before I still don't think Housten is a great Coach. Not sure why St Pauls got him there and didn't allow him to spend his cash. He was never going develop kids.

East Malvern picked up 8 very good footballers, they will need to be good to match dingley on grand final day after ther e 100 point demolition of bentleigh. Dingley have only added 2 to there list but to absolute jets in peet and noodles. Souther div 1 will be the strongest it has ever been in 2017

East Malvern picked up 8 very good footballers, they will need to be good to match dingley on grand final day after ther e 100 point demolition of bentleigh. Dingley have only added 2 to there list but to absolute jets in peet and noodles. Souther div 1 will be the strongest it has ever been in 2017

I think you'll find 2017 no different to other years. A few good top end teams (Dingley, East Malvern, Bentleigh?) and then it drops off quite a bit.

Pretty sure 2008 St Kilda City/St Paul's and the 2011 East Brighton/St Paul's teams would have matched it with current Dingley.

Last edited:

Wow eight new recruits and all getting a fat match payment each week.Did they win Tatts down there because the budget may of just crept up $60 odd grand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow eight new recruits and all getting a fat match payment each week.Did they win Tatts down there because the budget may of just crept up $60 odd grand.
Yeah they would be investing a little, just behind Dingley now.

I think you'll find 2017 no different to other years. A few good top end teams (Dingley, East Malvern, Bentleigh?) and then it drops off quite a bit.

Pretty sure 2008 St Kilda City/St Paul's and the 2011 East Brighton/St Paul's teams would have matched it with current Dingley.
They were good sides, especially city's side. How are St. Paul's looking?

I think some of the concerns expressed on here about East Malvern are spot on.

I mean, the last thing the SFNL needs is a club like an East Malvern recruiting well credentialled footballers and perhaps being competitive at the top end out of turn. It's not as though East Malvern have climbed their way through the ranks in a gradual fashion. And it's not as though they've been building their brand both on and off the field in a careful and considered manner over a long period of time.

Added to that, who would want to go to that shithole of a club. The social rooms are rubbish, and the members are a bunch of foul mouthed ferals. There's no junior club to speak of and their Auskick is embarrassingly poorly attended. I can't imagine why any player with perhaps young kids would forego travelling a couple of hours a week to play for a more local club like an East Malvern for any reason other than huge wads of cash.

Last edited:

I mean, the last thing the SFNL needs is a club like an East Malvern recruiting well credentialled footballers and perhaps being competitive at the top end out of turn. It's not as though East Malvern have climbed their way through the ranks in a gradual fashion. And it's not as though they've been building their brand both on and off the field in a careful and considered manner over a long period of time.

Added to that, who would want to go to that shithole of a club. The social rooms are rubbish, and the members are a bunch of foul mouthed ferals. There's no junior club to speak of and their Auskick is embarrassingly poorly attended. I can't imagine why any player with perhaps young kids would forego travelling a couple of hours a week to play for a more local club like an East Malvern for any reason other than huge wads of cash.

After slicing through the sarcasm I offer this, the league needs clubs like East Malvern to challenge.

For too long there have only been 2 or 3 clubs that were legitimate contenders each season. The risk is that the league loses credibility and less top quality players are attracted.

2017 is looking very positive as My Club, I hope, will be super strong again. East Malvern is certainly having a crack. Bentleigh I would assume will be strong again and if what you read is correct, a number of others will take a step forward including Mordialloc, Cheltenham & St.Kilda City.

You do mention however that your club is building in a careful and considered manner, but you recruit approx. 10 topliners that come at a significant cost. Is it too much, too soon? It will be interesting to watch it all unfold.

After slicing through the sarcasm I offer this, the league needs clubs like East Malvern to challenge.

For too long there have only been 2 or 3 clubs that were legitimate contenders each season. The risk is that the league loses credibility and less top quality players are attracted.

2017 is looking very positive as My Club, I hope, will be super strong again. East Malvern is certainly having a crack. Bentleigh I would assume will be strong again and if what you read is correct, a number of others will take a step forward including Mordialloc, Cheltenham & St.Kilda City.

You do mention however that your club is building in a careful and considered manner, but you recruit approx. 10 topliners that come at a significant cost. Is it too much, too soon? It will be interesting to watch it all unfold.

Players want to come, should we tell them "No"?

I'll say this only the once. The money is nothing close to what has been speculated. Nowhere near it.

We are fortunate that we are currently a club that good players want to join. We will continue to work hard to keep it that way.

They were good sides, especially city's side. How are St. Paul's looking?

OTM, looking alright at the moment. Very young list still.

Gilder, Ambrose, McIntyre, Knox, McCarthy, Cathcart (if not Sandy), Sziller (if not Sandy), Kreymborg x 2 all provide a strong core, with Steve Muller coming onboard (will be handy).

A young bloke from Port Melb (name?) looks handy and all the other ex.juniors have had another year under their belt e.g. younger Herbstreit, Harry Hunt etc.

I know we've picked up a few others but to be honest I'm not completely across it as I just got back Wednesday night to my first session since the break.

I thought on paper we were a lot stronger than 7th last year so will be interesting to see where we finish this year.

The new coach is great, setting high expectations amongst the group so good to see the coaching standards improve 100000% since Houstons departure ;)

I think it's good to have new clubs challenging for the flag, makes it interesting rather than the same old.............just hope they don't fall short (or succeed) and then have a massive exodus like some other clubs have experienced in the past.

Sustainable is the key word.......

You make some good points Bruce. EM have assembled a seriously good squad and should give 2017 a decent shake. Good luck to them and I look forward to seeing these blokes run around. it is also great for the comp to see some other clubs at the pointy end of the ladder.

But the reality is that very few players from the huge junior club who share the ground, nor kids from the biggest Auskick centre in the state transition into the EM seniors. If they did you would not have to recruit a stack of old blokes from other leagues who are all north of 30. No question of their talent but how many will be there is in 2 years?

I think the questions around sustainability are valid. With so many kids on your doorstep when do expect to field an U19 team?

You make some good points Bruce. EM have assembled a seriously good squad and should give 2017 a decent shake. Good luck to them and I look forward to seeing these blokes run around. it is also great for the comp to see some other clubs at the pointy end of the ladder.

But the reality is that very few players from the huge junior club who share the ground, nor kids from the biggest Auskick centre in the state transition into the EM seniors. If they did you would not have to recruit a stack of old blokes from other leagues who are all north of 30. No question of their talent but how many will be there is in 2 years?

I think the questions around sustainability are valid. With so many kids on your doorstep when do expect to field an U19 team?

We'd love an Under 19s team. And we continue to aspire to have one. We have some practical difficulties in that area around demographics and competition from Amateur clubs that make it a challenge. One of the best ways we can meet that challenge is to continue to develop a club that inspires young local men to play for it.

Back