SFNL Division 2 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

It's been put to the board for approval apparently
Not sure that is going to be a smart move. It works in the Ammo's but they have so many Divisions. Very noticeable that teams that finish second struggle the following season in the higher division. Good point about Springvale and Heatherton, and therein lies the problem with stand alone clubs. No juniors, and relying on benefactors and finals to survive year in and year out. Even if Springvale got promoted this year they could not sustain it moving forward. In the next few years Councils are going to be put a lot of pressure of AFL clubs to merge or move, because the demand from soccer is growing. The AFL has its head up its ass with GWS etc, and taking its eye of the homeland.

Not sure that is going to be a smart move. It works in the Ammo's but they have so many Divisions. Very noticeable that teams that finish second struggle the following season in the higher division. Good point about Springvale and Heatherton, and therein lies the problem with stand alone clubs. No juniors, and relying on benefactors and finals to survive year in and year out. Even if Springvale got promoted this year they could not sustain it moving forward. In the next few years Councils are going to be put a lot of pressure of AFL clubs to merge or move, because the demand from soccer is growing. The AFL has its head up its ass with GWS etc, and taking its eye of the homeland.
I believe it will be 1 up, 2 down next year only to make the divisions 10,10 and 13.

I'd like to see them consider splitting third division if they can find the right sides to come in. There's a huge gap between the top 5 or 6 and the rest. Plenty of games that are completely uncompetitive.

Maybe even go with 10,8,8,8 over 4 divisions

The City of Greater Dandenong I've been hearing for a couple of years now have been wanting to move soccer into traditional Aussie Rules sporting fields, due to an ever increasing number of soccer participants. Newcomen Rd is one of those grounds that has been earmarked.

I fear for teams like Springvale Districts. what will happen if and when the SFNL move division 1 finals to Moorabbin once the redevelopment is done?

Such is the demographic we live in today & it's not just South East suburbs with the pressure, its Bayside & inner city suburbs as well.
East Bentleigh Strikers based behind GESAC I know are turning kids away because their soccer club have been capped at 4 teams max for each junior level, due to space on Bailey Reserve.

Thankfully one Glen Eira City counselor is campaign hard to get the inner space of Caulfield Racecourse developed into sporting fields for both AFL & soccer to alleviate some pressure in the Glen Eira district

Last edited:
The City of Greater Dandenong I've been hearing for a couple of years now have been wanting to move soccer into traditional Aussie Rules sporting fields, due to an ever increasing number of soccer participants. Newcomen Rd is one of those grounds that has been earmarked.

I fear for teams like Springvale Districts. what will happen if and when the SFNL move division 1 finals to Moorabbin once the redevelopment is done?

Such is the demographic we live in today & it's not just South East suburbs with the pressure, its Bayside & inner city suburbs as well.
East Bentleigh Strikers based behind GESAC I know are turning kids away because their soccer club have been capped at 4 teams max for each junior level, due to space on Bailey Reserve.

Thankfully one Glen Eira City counselor is campaign hard to get the inner space of Caulfield Racecourse developed into sporting fields for both AFL & soccer to alleviate some pressure in the Glen Eira district

All that space has been bought by Becton Property Group and will become heaps of Townhouses, Units and Shopping/Business District (basically a mini suburb in its own right). Not saying they might be able to squeeze in a sporting field or 2, but from the plans I saw, it would look unlikely as there will be a central park instead.

All that space has been bought by Becton Property Group and will become heaps of Townhouses, Units and Shopping/Business District (basically a mini suburb in its own right). Not saying they might be able to squeeze in a sporting field or 2, but from the plans I saw, it would look unlikely as there will be a central park instead.

I'm not sure how a developer can move in and build when the racecourse is zoned as parks & recreation. I guess a lot of money could exchange hands and VCAT rubber stamp the idea. But that would be a shame for the district

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/c...push-for-more-open-space-20160820-gqx9tq.html

I'm not sure how a developer can move in and build when the racecourse is zoned as parks & recreation. I guess a lot of money could exchange hands and VCAT rubber stamp the idea. But that would be a shame for the district

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/c...push-for-more-open-space-20160820-gqx9tq.html

bear in mind the plan I saw was about 2 years ago and Becton see it as a 10+ year project to start in 2018 I believe.
They've already bought the land. But not sure what's transpired since then.

Ever been to Sandown Race track? The place is enormous and it is poorly utilized. The Race Club or council could easily sell half of the vacant area and make a fortune. They barely get 2000 to any race meeting.

Hearing Baseball , Basketball , Soccer , Cricket and AFL will be in middle of the racecourse at Caulfield .

Ever been to Sandown Race track? The place is enormous and it is poorly utilized. The Race Club or council could easily sell half of the vacant area and make a fortune. They barely get 2000 to any race meeting.

Been there on a cold Wednesday?...try 20 people and that includes Bookies and staff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Councillor Jim Magee is probably the best thing that ever happened for sporting clubs in Glen Eira. Gets little or no credit for his tireless efforts.
I can vouch for that as he's my next door neighbour. Has a few more great ideas for the area too. Got the ball rolling with GESAC when he negotiated acquiring the Commonwealth Games pool only for the then mayor knocking the project back once he got into office. Not satisfied he started his own action group and got his way.
Is doing a similar thing with Caulfield racecourse

Keysborough have returning Chris Bryan (ex Collingwood/Carlton) from Bonbeach, Tim Werner (2014 Runner Up B&F) from overseas, Gerard Smith & Jonathon Hawes (both from Beaconsfield), Matt Burnett from Karingal & Reece Spaddacini from year off. They have also recruited Sandown captain Jake D'Atri.

Keysborough have returning Chris Bryan (ex Collingwood/Carlton) from Bonbeach, Tim Werner (2014 Runner Up B&F) from overseas, Gerard Smith & Jonathon Hawes (both from Beaconsfield), Matt Burnett from Karingal & Reece Spaddacini from year off. They have also recruited Sandown captain Jake D'Atri.
Contacted some young guns (TAC listed) who are considering as well, gearing up for an assault on div 1 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Back