SFNL Division 4 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hartman is correct here, there needs to be an overall review, not poaching of clubs.

Skye, Frankston Dolphins, Hampton Park, Chelsea Heights, Carrum Patterson Lakes and Lyndhurst possible movers

Cobras staying in Thirds.

Mt Waverley not returning.

St Francis Xavier possibly entering.

Southern league could lose clubs to the proposed new third division of the MPNFL

SFNL CEO Lee Hartman said any transfers needed to be worked through as “an industry’’ rather than “leagues trying to pinch clubs from each other’’.
Moorabbin Kingston Leader

A string of Southern league clubs is weighing up the future as the neighbouring Mornington Peninsula Nepean competition rolls out plans for a new division.

The MPNFL is calling for expressions of interest from clubs willing to join a third tier, setting an August 31 deadline.

It has prompted speculation about the futures of Southern clubs including Skye, Frankston Dolphins, Hampton Park, Chelsea Heights, Carrum Patterson Lakes and Lyndhurst.

SFNL CEO Lee Hartman has spoken to AFL Victoria about the issue amid fears from his board that the league could lose a handful of clubs.

“I’ve always said that wherever clubs need to play to remain sustainable and alive, we’re happy to look at that,’’ Hartman said.

“But we need to have a discussion as an industry, AFL Victoria, MPNFL, AFL Outer East, the amateurs, us, and be transparent about it.

“I know some leagues have approached clubs directly, and that doesn’t sit too well with us. We’ve brought up this issue with AFL Victoria and they’re monitoring it.

“Clearly, AFL Victoria need to tick off any movement between leagues. I’m pretty much on record saying clubs should be playing in leagues where they’re competitive and sustainable. But let’s do it as an industry and work out the best solution rather than leagues trying to pinch clubs from each other.
Shannon Henwood takes a kick for Hampton Park, which joined the Southern league last year.

“We’re happy to work with other leagues and AFL Victoria because some clubs are struggling. We understand that, so let’s have a look at the bigger picture rather than approach it from league to league. That’s happened for far too long.’’

Hartman said he’d spoken to some of the clubs concerned and they had told him they hadn’t been approached directly, “but I’ve got it on pretty good authority some have been, which is a little bit disappointing’’.

He said no Southern club had yet to confirm its intention to apply to the MPNFL.

Hartman said Southern’s divisional structure — it has four divisions — had always been an attraction of the league, as had its “flexible’’ netball competition.

“If the MPNFL does grow to three divisions, that would be an enticing carrot, I suppose,’’ he said.

Mornington president Rob Smith, who is on the MPNFL subcommittee dealing with the proposed third division, said no Southern clubs had been approached directly.

He said there had been “a bit of interest … half-a-dozen clubs have expressed interest … and we’ll wait and see who applies’’.

Asked if a third division could be up and running in 2020, Smith said: “I would say no. That’s just my opinion. I don’t want to speak on behalf of my subcommittee. It’s going to come down to how many clubs apply and then we have to think about the best way to approach it. If there are two there might be a different way we look at it. If there are four we might look at it differently. If there are six we’d look at it differently again.

“Ideally we’d like to end up with 10-10-10 (three divisions each with 10 teams), where everyone plays each other twice.’’

Clubs that do apply will face a rigorous process. Applicants “will be screened and presented to the presidents for final assessment and decision on entry’’.
It requires a 75 per cent majority of clubs to accept new affiliates.

The subcommittee said most MPNFL clubs thought a third division was a “necessary entry point’’ to the competition and a way for clubs to “reinvigorate after extended periods of non-success’’.

Hartman said Southern would prefer to keep four divisions “because of the competitive nature of it’’.

“Competition equalisation is as important as the number of teams playing,’’ he said.

“Four divisions is our ideal position but we need to weigh up how many clubs we’ve got and how that fits. We’re starting to look at that as we go through the finals.’’

Sandown dropped out of Division 4 before the start of the season owing to a lack of numbers.

The Cobras are in the Thirds competition and have told the league they intend to stay there in 2020.

Mt Waverley, which went into recess ahead of 2019, has given no indication it will try to return.

“It will be a shock for me if they came back,’’ Hartman said.
But VAFA club St Francis Xavier, which is on top of the VAFA Division 4 ladder, is interested in a move to the Southern league.

Hartman is correct here, there needs to be an overall review, not poaching of clubs.

Skye, Frankston Dolphins, Hampton Park, Chelsea Heights, Carrum Patterson Lakes and Lyndhurst possible movers

Cobras staying in Thirds.

Mt Waverley not returning.

St Francis Xavier possibly entering.

Southern league could lose clubs to the proposed new third division of the MPNFL

SFNL CEO Lee Hartman said any transfers needed to be worked through as “an industry’’ rather than “leagues trying to pinch clubs from each other’’.
Moorabbin Kingston Leader

A string of Southern league clubs is weighing up the future as the neighbouring Mornington Peninsula Nepean competition rolls out plans for a new division.

The MPNFL is calling for expressions of interest from clubs willing to join a third tier, setting an August 31 deadline.

It has prompted speculation about the futures of Southern clubs including Skye, Frankston Dolphins, Hampton Park, Chelsea Heights, Carrum Patterson Lakes and Lyndhurst.

SFNL CEO Lee Hartman has spoken to AFL Victoria about the issue amid fears from his board that the league could lose a handful of clubs.

“I’ve always said that wherever clubs need to play to remain sustainable and alive, we’re happy to look at that,’’ Hartman said.

“But we need to have a discussion as an industry, AFL Victoria, MPNFL, AFL Outer East, the amateurs, us, and be transparent about it.

“I know some leagues have approached clubs directly, and that doesn’t sit too well with us. We’ve brought up this issue with AFL Victoria and they’re monitoring it.

“Clearly, AFL Victoria need to tick off any movement between leagues. I’m pretty much on record saying clubs should be playing in leagues where they’re competitive and sustainable. But let’s do it as an industry and work out the best solution rather than leagues trying to pinch clubs from each other.
Shannon Henwood takes a kick for Hampton Park, which joined the Southern league last year.

“We’re happy to work with other leagues and AFL Victoria because some clubs are struggling. We understand that, so let’s have a look at the bigger picture rather than approach it from league to league. That’s happened for far too long.’’

Hartman said he’d spoken to some of the clubs concerned and they had told him they hadn’t been approached directly, “but I’ve got it on pretty good authority some have been, which is a little bit disappointing’’.

He said no Southern club had yet to confirm its intention to apply to the MPNFL.

Hartman said Southern’s divisional structure — it has four divisions — had always been an attraction of the league, as had its “flexible’’ netball competition.

“If the MPNFL does grow to three divisions, that would be an enticing carrot, I suppose,’’ he said.

Mornington president Rob Smith, who is on the MPNFL subcommittee dealing with the proposed third division, said no Southern clubs had been approached directly.

He said there had been “a bit of interest … half-a-dozen clubs have expressed interest … and we’ll wait and see who applies’’.

Asked if a third division could be up and running in 2020, Smith said: “I would say no. That’s just my opinion. I don’t want to speak on behalf of my subcommittee. It’s going to come down to how many clubs apply and then we have to think about the best way to approach it. If there are two there might be a different way we look at it. If there are four we might look at it differently. If there are six we’d look at it differently again.

“Ideally we’d like to end up with 10-10-10 (three divisions each with 10 teams), where everyone plays each other twice.’’

Clubs that do apply will face a rigorous process. Applicants “will be screened and presented to the presidents for final assessment and decision on entry’’.
It requires a 75 per cent majority of clubs to accept new affiliates.

The subcommittee said most MPNFL clubs thought a third division was a “necessary entry point’’ to the competition and a way for clubs to “reinvigorate after extended periods of non-success’’.

Hartman said Southern would prefer to keep four divisions “because of the competitive nature of it’’.

“Competition equalisation is as important as the number of teams playing,’’ he said.

“Four divisions is our ideal position but we need to weigh up how many clubs we’ve got and how that fits. We’re starting to look at that as we go through the finals.’’

Sandown dropped out of Division 4 before the start of the season owing to a lack of numbers.

The Cobras are in the Thirds competition and have told the league they intend to stay there in 2020.

Mt Waverley, which went into recess ahead of 2019, has given no indication it will try to return.

“It will be a shock for me if they came back,’’ Hartman said.
But VAFA club St Francis Xavier, which is on top of the VAFA Division 4 ladder, is interested in a move to the Southern league.

A lot of smoke and mirrors going on. The 'venus fly-trap' is alive and well with the full blessing of AFL and VFL Vic.

Take it easy there, Patrick Cripps

Hahaha....come on man! Don’t have a go at me!

I’m not the one sprouting off about a guy playing in the lowest division in the worst competition in Melbourne a “superstar”

Maybe if there was ex AFL players like all other Melbourne competitions, maybe there’d be a “superstar”......

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well done to South Yarra on a great win yesterday. Amazing story considering they didn't have a home ground at the start of the year, and couldn't get players to commit when they were homeless.

Lyndhurst looked slow and indecisive with the football on the day. It gave the Yarra's so much time to get back and help their defenders zone off at half back.

They had a chance to make it tight with a few minutes left when the Strauchnie looking bloke had a set shot and delivered possibly the worst skill execution witnessed in recent memory. Then he went down with the old cramp routine to cover it up.

The commentary was borderline unlistenable all day. Cooke was basically sucking Lyndhurst off the entire game.

Too bad they sh*t the bed in the 1's and the 2's yesterday.

Well done to South Yarra on a great win yesterday. Amazing story considering they didn't have a home ground at the start of the year, and couldn't get players to commit when they were homeless.

Lyndhurst looked slow and indecisive with the football on the day. It gave the Yarra's so much time to get back and help their defenders zone off at half back.

They had a chance to make it tight with a few minutes left when the Strauchnie looking bloke had a set shot and delivered possibly the worst skill execution witnessed in recent memory. Then he went down with the old cramp routine to cover it up.

The commentary was borderline unlistenable all day. Cooke was basically sucking Lyndhurst off the entire game.

Too bad they sh*t the bed in the 1's and the 2's yesterday.
The real amazing story is how the league let them drop down a division without finishing on the bottom last year

Hallam was the bottom of div3 last season not Sth Yarra so get your facts right before you comment. They finished 2nd last in div3 reserves and seniors in the 2018 season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:footy: Moorabbin have told SFL bosses that they are staying in DIV 4 !!!
South Yarra likewise. :footy:
When your ranked the two crappiest clubs in the league then you need to demand the right to play in the crappiest division.

Sth Yarra used to be a respected 2nd division club despite their ground difficulties however since Cannizzo left the league they are just a sooky cry baby club looking for excuses to win hollow premierships.

Shows how much they relied on Cannizzo in keeping their spirits high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back