Recommitted Shai Bolton [Re-signed to 2023]

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
I watch far more of Fremantle (around 10-12 games per regular season) than I do of Richmond, so I'm fully aware of Cerra's talent.

Looking at performances on-field, Bolton has easily outperformed Cerra. The reason I said a straight swap would rate them fairly is because of everything you mentioned in your post regarding Cerra's leadership and professionalism. I fully expect that he will lift a lot over the next two years, but Bolton is already performing at close to the elite level.

I know play ratings can be extremely misleading, but even then Bolton is ranked 111th while Cerra is currently sitting at 197th. On Brownlow votes, Cerra has so far polled 6 in his career, while Bolton has 14 (including 9 in 2020).

Honestly, in a straight comparison, Bolton is the better player right now. On value, I'd rate them around the same.
Where did Greenwood rank? The ranking system is totally crazy. One year Luke McPharlin ranked 60th best defender and 400th over

Brownlow votes isn’t much of comparison. The team that wins usually get more votes and Fyfe gets most of the votes in a Docker.

Neale would never had won a Brownlow at Fremantle due to Fyfe getting the majority of the votes.

By the way, Woewodin won a Brownlow and Leigh Matthew and Wayne Carey never won one.

I respect your view as you have seen enough of Cerra to make a comment.

Last edited:

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Where did Greenwood rank? The ranking system is totally crazy. One year Luke McPharlin ranked 60th best defender and 400th over

Brownlow votes isn’t much of comparison. The team that wins usually get more votes and Fyfe gets most of the votes in a Docker.

Neale would never had won a Brownlow at Fremantle due to Fyfe getting the majority of the votes.

By the way, Woewodin won a Brownlow and Leigh Matthew and Wayne Carey never won one.

Oh I absolutely recognise how unreliable both player ratings and Brownlow votes can be, it's just next to impossible to otherwise rate players on gut feel. I expect both will reach elite status within the next 2 years regardless of who is better now or worth more. Also wouldn't think either leaves their current clubs

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Oh I absolutely recognise how unreliable both player ratings and Brownlow votes can be, it's just next to impossible to otherwise rate players on gut feel. I expect both will reach elite status within the next 2 years regardless of who is better now or worth more. Also wouldn't think either leaves their current clubs
It’s difficult to compare players especially when they have too different skill sets.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond

Bolton was top5 b and f.

In flag winning season

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
I find it interesting that both WA clubs had a chance to draft Bolton and passed, although I do think Shai has become a better player than what even the most optimistic Richmond recruiter and supporter hoped when they picked him up.

Would be shocked if he leaves Richmond, he is on a great wicket there, with plenty of opportunities for off field success and prosperity once his footy career is over, knowing the Tigers coterie groups and sponsors etc.

Unless he has desperate family reasons to go home, I see no reason why Bolton should not stick fat with The Tigers ..

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
I find it interesting that both WA clubs had a chance to draft Bolton and passed, although I do think Shai has become a better player than what even the most optimistic Richmond recruiter and supporter hoped when they picked him up.

Would be shocked if he leaves Richmond, he is on a great wicket there, with plenty of opportunities for off field success and prosperity once his footy career is over, knowing the Tigers coterie groups and sponsors etc.

Unless he has desperate family reasons to go home, I see no reason why Bolton should not stick fat with The Tigers ..
Most Richmond supporters had high expectations from Bolton the moment he was drafted as the youngest player in his draft but at 69kgs we knew he would take 2-3 years to become the player he is looking like becoming.

I said it back then and still believe he will eventually become a full time mid similar to Walters from fremantle. Its just the start for Bolton and i think we are going to see alot of special games from him and he has the talent and ability to become elite.

I watch just about every single game every week and if i was offered Cerra for Bolton straight swap i personally wouldnt do it but when players want to leave and are out of contract then you take what you can get.

But hope he finishes his career as a Tiger

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I live in Melbourne for the last few years and interact with lots of footy nuts who support all manner of teams, mainly the Victorian ones obviously but others like Sydney and Brisbane have a reasonable level of support too. The vast majority of these experts claiming they watch Cerra (and by extension Fremantle) regularly are full of s**t!!!!!
I dont think we have had a primetime game on channel 7 since I moved to Melbourne. I would doubt that BT and Bruce etc have called a freo game since 2016, possibly even 2015. Casual footy fans *may* have watched us once last season in the After the siren game against Carlton (our only game on live free to air last season).
In 2019, we also played one single game on free to air in Vic, against the Bulldogs (Mundys 300th, called by Darcy, Richo and Brayshaw on a sat night).
I can’t remember 2018 but I think we got stuff all few to air games in vic too, plus it was Cerras debut season where he played majority on the HBF.
I work with fans of teams like Melbourne, Saints, Dogs etc. They watch freo once or twice a year when their team plays them. That’s it. Every Monday morning last season was the same convo with a fan of a different club each week.
“Jeez that Luke Ryan is bloody good for you blokes! Where did he come from?” ( I actually think he’s equally as good as Tom Stewart who was taken in the same draft as a mature ager, potentially even better at present but try convincing a Victorian footy fan of that!)
“Serong played well” “your team has a lot more good youngsters than I thought”
Etc etc. you get the drift.
Every week. Same conversation.

I would be very confident that the average footy fan in Melbourne (not the BF diehards, has NEVER seen freo play 4 quarters of footy in the last five years against a team other than their own.
I would also confidently say the last time the broader AFL public watched us in meaningful numbers on prime time TV was the 2015 preliminary final vs Hawthorn.
So all you Richmond supporting experts who are trying to convince us you have watched Cerra play dozens of full AFL matches against sides other than your own - please. Just stop it. You are fooling no one.

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
I live in Melbourne for the last few years and interact with lots of footy nuts who support all manner of teams, mainly the Victorian ones obviously but others like Sydney and Brisbane have a reasonable level of support too. The vast majority of these experts claiming they watch Cerra (and by extension Fremantle) regularly are full of sh*t!!!!!
I dont think we have had a primetime game on channel 7 since I moved to Melbourne. I would doubt that BT and Bruce etc have called a freo game since 2016, possibly even 2015. Casual footy fans *may* have watched us once last season in the After the siren game against Carlton (our only game on live free to air last season).
In 2019, we also played one single game on free to air in Vic, against the Bulldogs (Mundys 300th, called by Darcy, Richo and Brayshaw on a sat night).
I can’t remember 2018 but I think we got stuff all few to air games in vic too, plus it was Cerras debut season where he played majority on the HBF.
I work with fans of teams like Melbourne, Saints, Dogs etc. They watch freo once or twice a year when their team plays them. That’s it. Every Monday morning last season was the same convo with a fan of a different club each week.
“Jeez that Luke Ryan is bloody good for you blokes! Where did he come from?” ( I actually think he’s equally as good as Tom Stewart who was taken in the same draft as a mature ager, potentially even better at present but try convincing a Victorian footy fan of that!)

I would be very confident that the average footy fan in Melbourne (not the BF diehards, has NEVER seen freo play 4 quarters of footy in the last five years against a team other than their own.
I would also confidently say the last time the broader AFL public watched us in meaningful numbers on prime time TV was the 2015 preliminary final vs Hawthorn.
So all you Richmond supporting experts who are trying to convince us you have watched Cerra play dozens of full AFL matches against sides other than your own - please. Just stop it. You are fooling no one.

There is a very large faction of tigers fans that not only watch Cerra play. Also very strongly argue that Richmond should attempt to trade for the guy. Have done for a long time too

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
I live in Melbourne for the last few years and interact with lots of footy nuts who support all manner of teams, mainly the Victorian ones obviously but others like Sydney and Brisbane have a reasonable level of support too. The vast majority of these experts claiming they watch Cerra (and by extension Fremantle) regularly are full of sh*t!!!!!

Ever heard of Foxtel ??? You can record games and watch them when it suits you

So YES !!! I watch every game every week

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
It would make no sense for Freo to give up one of their kids.

They'd trade for a pick in the teens and give that for Bolton, or offer a future first.

Personally, I think it's good for the evenness of the comp that sides like Freo offer big dollars for players like Bolton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
No way Bolton goes anywhere, Tiges will make sure he's locked away on a big contract. Kid's special, he and the likes of Balta, Baker and others are the key to make sure they have another 2-3 years at the top while Dusty's still around. Not to say some big offers won't come though.

Eagles had a crack last time and bumped up his value.

Unless a player leaves they are unlikely to have the cap space to poach him though.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast

Not hard to understand.

Eagles pick 13 Venables
Freo pick 8 Logue

Neither clubs had a 2nd rounder before Bolton was taken at pick 29.

He wasn't rated a 1st round pick at the time by any club and everyone passed until pick 29.

History shows that no one was prepared to use a 1st rounder on him.

History shows he was a second round pick.

Not that no one was prepared to use a 1st round pick on him, nor that he wasn't rated as a first round pick by any club, which is what you originally stated.

Despite being taken in the second round it's entirely possible every club rated him as a first round pick.

History shows that no one was prepared to use a 1st rounder on him.

And others didn't use their 2nd rounder if they had one.

Most teams knew he had the talent (one recruiter quoted said he was the most talented player in the draft) but had to be prepared to wait due to his age and body. I reckon that's why he went 2nd round which is where most rated him.

Last edited:
Most teams knew he had the talent (one recruiter quoted said he was the most talented player in the draft) but had to be prepared to wait due to his age and body. I reckon that's why he went 2nd round which is where most rated him.

When he came to the tigers he rapidly became known for super talent and athleticism. Think he played a game or two. Then the coaches sat him in the VFL and said to play AFL you have to be fully rounded - defence, 1%s, unrewarded running etc. He obviously had a problem with doing the full array of things. Probably as a junior he always could do what he liked and the jump to AFL was too large.

He had the character and support from the RFC to do the hard yards and transform himself from a highlight reel with major liabilities into a well rounded player.

I reckon most clubs saw exactly what he was and weren't up for the effort to turn him into what he is now - too risky too hard. It's a credit to him and the Tigers development system that he has matured so well.

Hope he stays cause he is a fantastic player to watch, and is only coming into his own.

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
When he came to the tigers he rapidly became known for super talent and athleticism. Think he played a game or two. Then the coaches sat him in the VFL and said to play AFL you have to be fully rounded - defence, 1%s, unrewarded running etc. He obviously had a problem with doing the full array of things. Probably as a junior he always could do what he liked and the jump to AFL was too large.

He had the character and support from the RFC to do the hard yards and transform himself from a highlight reel with major liabilities into a well rounded player.

I reckon most clubs saw exactly what he was and weren't up for the effort to turn him into what he is now - too risky too hard. It's a credit to him and the Tigers development system that he has matured so well.

Hope he stays cause he is a fantastic player to watch, and is only coming into his own.

Credit to the lad his work rate and defensive running is amazing

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks

Lol - its a credit to the Tigers for taking a top 30 player in the top 30. Amazing.......

Tiger posters are the best.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
History shows he was a second round pick.

Not that no one was prepared to use a 1st round pick on him, nor that he wasn't rated as a first round pick by any club, which is what you originally stated.

Despite being taken in the second round it's entirely possible every club rated him as a first round pick.

So clubs could have rated him as a 1st but none took him in the 1st..........and then quite a few didn't even rate him to use a 2nd on him either.

BUT they still could have rated him as a 1st rounder.........

Ok.

It's an interesting alternate universe you live in I will say.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back