Recommitted Shai Bolton [Re-signed to 2023]

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah his attitude is poor. He coasts.

He's got enough runs on the board in big games that I'm willing to let it go this season given we're basically done and dusted.

Still only 22, I'll be hoping he takes it up a few levels next season.

Probably a late first for a team in the window, Tiges would need to pay some of his salary though.
Gordon Ramsay Facepalm GIF by Masterchef

Fantastic player and with the long deal, but man the Tigers have been flinging around long deals lately

Longer term deals are often effective salary cap space management (although I still maintain the 7 or so deal they have given Hopper is a bit OTT) but given their retirements in the next couple of years (Cotchin, Riewoldt etc), I think the Tigers are positioning themselves to rebuild 'on the run' somewhat, whilst still attracting top end talent to their club via trades and free agency.

Unfortunately I can't see them bottoming our any time soon, even if I don't think they can win the flag in the next year or two.

They may want to buy themselves into next year's draft though (given away as part of the Hopper deal)

Also I think Bolton will be a Tiger for life, seems very happy living in Vic and playing for Richmond.

Fantastic player and with the long deal, but man the Tigers have been flinging around long deals lately
Might seem that way but if you look at our list profile the only players we really have signed in excess of 2026 are Vlastuin (2026) Rioli, Short (2027), Bolton (2028), Taranto and Hopper (2029). You would expect that to be the core of the leadership cohort post the retirement of Riewoldt, Cotchin, Tarrant and the end could very swiftly come for guys like Grimes and Prestia who tend to pick up injuries with frequency despite playing very good quality football when their bodies allow for it.

By comparison Geelong have no one contracted beyond the 2025 period from what I can tell. They'd be hoping that guys like De Koning, Atkins etc sign beyond that period to transition past this current generation as I would say they'll likely lose Duncan, Hawkins, Dangerfield, Stanley, Blicavs, Smith amongst others by then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might seem that way but if you look at our list profile the only players we really have signed in excess of 2026 are Vlastuin (2026) Rioli, Short (2027), Bolton (2028), Taranto and Hopper (2029). You would expect that to be the core of the leadership cohort post the retirement of Riewoldt, Cotchin, Tarrant and the end could very swiftly come for guys like Grimes and Prestia who tend to pick up injuries with frequency despite playing very good quality football when their bodies allow for it.

By comparison Geelong have no one contracted beyond the 2025 period from what I can tell. They'd be hoping that guys like De Koning, Atkins etc sign beyond that period to transition past this current generation as I would say they'll likely lose Duncan, Hawkins, Dangerfield, Stanley, Blicavs, Smith amongst others by then.
The cats have always done that though. That's just business as usual

Bowes is contracted to 2026 and cameron has a games trigger for 2026. No one else is past 2025 (though i expect that to change this year). Yes lots of retirements will be incoming so we will have lots of cap space.

On richmond i dont think long term deals in and of themselves are bad but it depends what player has them and how durable they are. Ie i like hopper as a player but 7 years is a big risk for a player who struggled a lot with injuries the last 2 years. Similarly lynch was super for the tiges in their 2019 and 20 seasons but is starting to miss a lot more footy through injury when hes on the wrong side of 30 and on big money. Youd want to be hoping the same thing doesnt happen with rioli short bolton etc. Those sort of things can really hurt the team on field but also the cap off field so its a risk-reward scenario.

Bowes is contracted to 2026 and cameron has a games trigger for 2026. No one else is past 2025 (though i expect that to change this year). Yes lots of retirements will be incoming so we will have lots of cap space.

On richmond i dont think long term deals in and of themselves are bad but it depends what player has them and how durable they are. Ie i like hopper as a player but 7 years is a big risk for a player who struggled a lot with injuries the last 2 years. Similarly lynch was super for the tiges in their 2019 and 20 seasons but is starting to miss a lot more footy through injury when hes on the wrong side of 30 and on big money. Youd want to be hoping the same thing doesnt happen with rioli short bolton etc. Those sort of things can really hurt the team on field but also the cap off field so its a risk-reward scenario.
Is he? :think: since he arrived he's played 25, 19, 18 and 19 games last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back