Recommitted Shai Bolton [re-signed until 2021]

Remove this Banner Ad

Played one good game in 3 years and apparently he’s worth a mid 1st round selection hahaha gotta love richmond supporters
Would rather keep him.
He’s not going to Freo, they told Ralph they weren’t interested even for peanuts last year.

Will sign another 2 year contract on average player payment terms.

Needs to continue to improve his defensive game to become a regular in our side.

This
Yeah their not bad , like you say he’s gone from being on base contract minimum wage, basically worth a token pick to now top 20/first rd pick off the back of one game..
lol
He was pick 29 when we drafted him, aged 17. If he'd been 3 weeks younger he would have gone top 20 in the 2017 draft, no worries.

Doesn't matter because he'll sign a new deal with us.

Buddy says Hi.
Cool, try your luck in 6 years with a multimillion dollar offer.

This
Yeah their not bad , like you say he’s gone from being on base contract minimum wage, basically worth a token pick to now top 20/first rd pick off the back of one game..
lol
Can we take Logue off you guys ? Compared to Bolton we should be able to get him for #72 as he has not had that 1 game yet

Can we take Logue off you guys ? Compared to Bolton we should be able to get him for #72 as he has not had that 1 game yet
you make me laugh.

When it comes to trades, two things happen. First is that recent draftee lose value because draft picks are overrated and second when a player is out of contract the club loses value.

Bolton for a late first round and maybe a swap of late picks might be fair, but history says teams lose out on un-contracted player with less than 50 games. Not fair but it's the reality.

you make me laugh.

When it comes to trades, two things happen. First is that recent draftee lose value because draft picks are overrated and second when a player is out of contract the club loses value.

Bolton for a late first round and maybe a swap of late picks might be fair, but history says teams lose out on un-contracted player with less than 50 games. Not fair but it's the reality.
Doesn't matter because he'll sign a new deal with us.
Try your luck in 6 years.

it comes down to games.

If Bolton is in the seconds he's gone but if he stays in the first he stays.

Agreed.

Reckon Richmond should off load Rioli and let Bolton take his spot in the best 22 (Rioli is too injury prone)

Big wrap for Bolton, I would probably offer our Crows pick for him, can't see him leaving Tiger land, the playing group there are probably the closest in the AFL

Agreed.

Reckon Richmond should off load Rioli and let Bolton take his spot in the best 22 (Rioli is too injury prone)

Big wrap for Bolton, I would probably offer our Crows pick for him, can't see him leaving Tiger land, the playing group there are probably the closest in the AFL
Interesting call.
I see Rioli developing into more of a Shane Edwards type so he probably plays a little further up the ground. Bolton goes forward into Riolis spot and another small forward makes way.

I’m hearing Castagna is being targeted again by Carlton and perhaps he’s the player we lose moving forward to keep Shai in the team.

Dan Butler at the moment would be the most likely to leave , Liam Baker has really taken his spot and the kid is having a fantastic year as he has more midfield impact and is just as good up foward

Cant see any of Rioli , Higgins , Bolton being let go but Castagna & Butler could be another story

We won't let George go, and hell will freeze over before we trade Rioli.

Freo can have Townsend, Carlton can have Aarts.

Called it
Georgie signed up for two more years

Would rather keep him.
He’s not going to Freo, they told Ralph they weren’t interested even for peanuts last year.

Will sign another 2 year contract on average player payment terms.

Needs to continue to improve his defensive game to become a regular in our side.
well you have bolton on the Bench this week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What would you call heaps ?

Then you will need to trade for him , what would you think his value would be
Without taking draft pick into consideration I think he is worth 450-550k a season ( 3-4 years contract length)

If i had a choice of pick #20 or Shai Bolton i would take Bolton

With the draft this year being very 'shallow' I wouldnt trade him to be honest

More likely he signs a decent contract and stays
I think I'd punt on Bolton too, shown enough to suggest he could be awesome. Whether it happens is another matter but there's no guarantees with pick 20 either.

If he does get traded he's not going to attract a decent pick. Uncontracted being the big issue. Agree that if he doesn't stay at Richmond the most likely decision based on past player movements would be to go to WA, and neither Freo or West Coast are going to pay limited top 30 picks for him. You can rant until you're blue in the face about being drafted underage and forward depth etc- none of that changes that in the event he moves, he would be an uncontracted small forward requesting a trade which is the most significant part of his trade value.

However I imagine the past 6 weeks has changed his situation. He's now in his best run of AFL games in his career, and has elevated himself in the pecking order. After round 4 this year if you had asked me then I'd have said it would make no sense for him to remain at Richmond with Rioli, Castagna, Butler, Higgins (as a rotating mid) all ahead and available as small forwards and all similar ages. Now that seems to have changed, and Baker seems to be getting a run as a higher forward so not in direct competition with Bolton.

I still think other clubs should really focus on poaching one of them, they're all good enough to be playing AFL and they can't all fit in at Tigerland, both playing time and also fair market value salary wise. The trade table value though will largely be dictated by whether or not the player that can be prised free Is contracted or not, not draft position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back