Recommitted Shai Bolton [re-signed]

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Reports that Bolton has put his contract on hold to the end of the season, with speculation he wants to return to WA.

Ralph Carr his manager, might be another season of Ralph bleeding the Richmond footy department.

DaveLister

Premiership Player
Feb 17, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Kid has undeniable talent but workrate, defense and smarts all seem lacking at the moment.
Keeps playing like he has the last 2 weeks and he won't be worth a 4th round draft pick.
That is if he keeps getting games because he should be dropped.

There was talk of him not wanting to leave WA in his draft year, rumours that he wanted to come home last year and now he's put contract talks on hold.
He plays a role that Richmond aren't short on and will be kept out of the team once Rioli is fit or Higgin's passes him.

Neither Fremantle and West Coast are particularly lacking in the small forward role. I liked him on a wing in his draft year and West Coast would have a greater need for wings than Freo but he's even less proven on a wing at AFL level than he is as small forward.

He's in a bit of a tough spot if he wants to come home because I can't see Richmond wanting to lose him for less than a 3rd and I can't see either West Australian team wanting to pay more than a late late pick.

For what it's worth his dad played for Fremantle, he was a Freo supporter before he was drafted and on the sentiment of having a father son I'd like to have him but not for more than a 4th at this stage.

jesterwester

Premiership Player
May 1, 2007
Australind
AFL Club
West Coast
I’d say we’d probably be interested - iirc we would have taken him had he been available at our 2nd. I don’t think he’s doing all that bad given it’s just his 2nd year. I see a lot of upside with him.

I think given our history, if Richmond asked for a 3rd we’d probably give it, given our history for over paying for uncontracted players (ah chee, Redden, Wellingham etc). Just tell Richmond to tell us that he’s developing his inside midfield game and we will pay through the roof. ;)

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Shai as a player could go either way. He doesn’t have the discipline to do the defensive things the team asks for at senior level yet and his attacking game that shows his talent at VFL level doesn’t stack up at the top level yet.

The talent is there, but he needs to work on his application.

We have a glut of small forwards so not a massive deal if he leaves, and our asking price will be dependent on his improvement this year.

Would back him to improve and hope he stays.

Not really seeing where he'd go. I doubt the eagles are that keen given they've invested in mature small forwards (ryan and rioli) and freo don't have a second or 3rd rounder and even if they trade picks in they already have walters matera bennell and grey and banfield look reasonable. If he insists on WA or nowhere he might end up not on an AFL list.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not really seeing where he'd go. I doubt the eagles are that keen given they've invested in mature small forwards (ryan and rioli) and freo don't have a second or 3rd rounder and even if they trade picks in they already have walters matera bennell and grey and banfield look reasonable. If he insists on WA or nowhere he might end up not on an AFL list.
Fremantle can trade 2019 picks for Bolton.

Fremantle can trade 2019 picks for Bolton.

That's a fair point I'm just questioning whether they really need him. I would have thought you have more pressing list needs TBH.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
What gave you that impression?

They drafted him there two years ago, hasn’t lost or gained value through his performances. Shows promise. Probably wouldn’t give up one this year but a future second would be right.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Except he has lost value, his afl performances have been poor.
I mean schache went from pick 2 to 30odd in 2 years

His afl performances have been fine, he’s a light bodied small forward he’ll take time but he’s already showing presence and hitting the scoreboard. I’d happily give our future second for him.

Schache dropped value due to depression, home sickness and not being able to break into a poor side that was crying out for a tall forward. Completely different story.

DaveLister

Premiership Player
Feb 17, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
His afl performances have been fine, he’s a light bodied small forward he’ll take time but he’s already showing presence and hitting the scoreboard. I’d happily give our future second for him.

Schache dropped value due to depression, home sickness and not being able to break into a poor side that was crying out for a tall forward. Completely different story.
You'e talking nonsense mate, there'd be 100 examples of players value dropping when they don' play as well as their draft pick suggests they should. Bolton has been playing like a rookie pick

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
You'e talking nonsense mate, there'd be 100 examples of players value dropping when they don' play as well as their draft pick suggests they should. Bolton has been playing like a rookie pick

Agree to disagree. Think someone will pay handsomely for him.

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yep will ask for trade back home (to freo) at end of the year. Has talent but needs better application.
Reckon will Be a good ballantyne replacement in time tho
Worth 3rd to 4 th rounder

Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Knicks, Giants
He was the youngest player in the AFL last year.
He only turned 19 at the start of December 2017.

IMO he will go home and we have known that for a while hence why we drafted 2 more small forwards this year and kept Stengle on the rookie list.
We also have Maurice Rioli Jnr coming in a year or two as well.

Id be happy with a 2nd rounder as I dont think he has the mental toughness to make it in the AFL

Back