Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Looks like he is staying at Richmond.

Needs to work on defensive pressure to crack into the seniors but the talent is there.

Must say I’m surprised he didn’t go back to WA for more opportunity but from the talk on here we were only going to get a forth rounder for him so happy to keep him on the list.
Look like everybody cool down on him , what happen if he refused to signed an extension , will Carlton get him free in pre season Draft ?

Jun 18, 2007
Top of the tree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
#VICBIAS
I'm rapt we're keeping $hai. I reckon I was his number 1 fan in his draft year, I called him as my boy after the first Champs game, so I've watched him closely. He's young and he's small but he's quick and he's brilliant. Look at the way he lit up Sydney for a half last year, or the VFL grand final. Limited AFL opportunities mainly due to size and tank - not ready. But capable of shining at the top level - he already has, albeit for a half.

I loved him on the wing for WA and in the Judd game at Punt Rd. He played plenty of midfield minutes in the VFL this year, centre bounce stuff. A few clearances. He can beat everyone to the ball but if they catch him it's curtains. Highwire act, like a young Shane Edwards, only quicker (legs, not hands). Michael Walters.

Just won VFL Mark and Goal of the Year. Still 19. I can't wait to see this guy at 22.

Willo0101

Draftee
Aug 26, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Richmond are best trying to keep him, but I'd still be keen to see if Freo are interested. Our forward line could certainly use some depth.

His value is hard to judge. As some sort of point of reference, Harley Balic (4 games) was 19 when traded for pick 65.

Unless you're regular best 22 there's not many examples where a club gets anything significant as compensation, especially if the player requests the trade. I'd probably guess future 3rd would be close, but who knows?

Jun 18, 2007
Top of the tree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
#VICBIAS
Richmond are best trying to keep him, but I'd still be keen to see if Freo are interested. Our forward line could certainly use some depth.

His value is hard to judge. As some sort of point of reference, Harley Balic (4 games) was 19 when traded for pick 65.

Unless you're regular best 22 there's not many examples where a club gets anything significant as compensation, especially if the player requests the trade. I'd probably guess future 3rd would be close, but who knows?
Bolton is a much better player than Balic and has agreed to a new contract with Richmond.

foodles05

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Currently he is worth $150-$200k

Thats why he has not signed and he currently is only worth this and the last 50-70k on potential. Shai Bolton is still 2 years away from being the player we want him to become but is only 19 and the upside is massive.

Most other supporters wont see this and its normal but we the supporters that follow his VFL games can see what he brings and what he is missing and what he is missing is the ability to maintain intensity for 4 quarters and that will come with more pre season training.

I would love geelong to make a play for him because I agree about what he shows in glimpses. I would be happy to pay 350k over 3 to get him.

foodles05

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Currently he is worth $150-$200k

Thats why he has not signed and he currently is only worth this and the last 50-70k on potential. Shai Bolton is still 2 years away from being the player we want him to become but is only 19 and the upside is massive.

Most other supporters wont see this and its normal but we the supporters that follow his VFL games can see what he brings and what he is missing and what he is missing is the ability to maintain intensity for 4 quarters and that will come with more pre season training.

Just to clarify I meant 350 a year

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond

Freo have enquired and they have been rejected.

BluesRule

Premiership Player
Dec 16, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Hadn’t heard the Blues were interested.
It was Fremantle and Adelaide who were keen.
He would be a great fit at CFC as desperate need for a quality small fwd. PSD or later pick would be stoked to get him in.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
He would be a great fit at CFC as desperate need for a quality small fwd. PSD or later pick would be stoked to get him in.
Carlton supporters and your obsession with picking up required players with psd selections is really funny
he will be signed and stay at richmond from whats being mentioned by his manager and the club

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Shai must have been disappointed we signed Ballas for another year.

Probably realised he’d have to work to get into the side and knew it would be too much.
I can understand Freos interest in him. At present he’s a flashy but inconsistent front running forward. He’s got work on his defensive game to break into Richmond’s senior team, but his current style suits Freo quite well.

Cobbler

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I can understand Freos interest in him. At present he’s a flashy but inconsistent front running forward. He’s got work on his defensive game to break into Richmond’s senior team, but his current style suits Freo quite well.

Huh? We don’t have anyone that skis downhill. I’d love someone to be allowed to do that.

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
Freo have enquired and they have been rejected.
I'm not really all that surprised. Freo just don't have anything that Richmond would want to take in the trade. Also, maybe with Matera, Ballentyne, Switkowski, Walters, Bennell, Banfield Freo think that they have enough to work with for now so the offer from Freo wasn't all that flash.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
I'm not really all that surprised. Freo just don't have anything that Richmond would want to take in the trade. Also, maybe with Matera, Ballentyne, Switkowski, Walters, Bennell, Banfield Freo think that they have enough to work with for now so the offer from Freo wasn't all that flash.
No. He would have had little trade value and Freo would have given up a nominal late pick. It wasn’t about Freo trade leverage at all. Freo just didn’t appeal to Shai.

Back