Player Watch Shai Bolton - The Next Best Player In The Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Got shut out of the game pretty easily on the weekend. Will be interested to see if other teams come finals do something similar to what we did with Maginness. Maginness didn’t go with him in the centre square but followed him everywhere else

If Shai's the next best, who's the best?

Got shut out of the game pretty easily on the weekend. Will be interested to see if other teams come finals do something similar to what we did with Maginness. Maginness didn’t go with him in the centre square but followed him everywhere else
would happily see teams concentrate so much on shai that they let the rest of the team off the chain like on the weekend.

would happily see teams concentrate so much on shai that they let the rest of the team off the chain like on the weekend.
Don't think we really put too much concentration into Bolton apart from Maginness. We are usually pretty poor in the centre anyway but some of efforts by O'Meara in particular were so bad that he allowed his opponent to get off the chain constantly and meant Richmond could just walk it out of the middle in the 3rd quarter.

Terrific talent, but 17 disposals per game doesn't cut it if you're supposedly the best player in the game, which is occasionally thrown around.

Definitely not the best player in the game - but I'd take 17 Shai Bolton touches over 30 from quite a lot of other midfielders. Very high impact per disposal. Gun.

Definitely not the best player in the game - but I'd take 17 Shai Bolton touches over 30 from quite a lot of other midfielders. Very high impact per disposal. Gun.
I think that is sort of everyone’s point. I’m not sure anyone has said he isn’t a gun with huge impact but the best player is a step too far. Reminds me of when it was said about Dale Thomas.

Terrific talent, but 17 disposals per game doesn't cut it if you're supposedly the best player in the game, which is occasionally thrown around.

It’s cause he actually spends time forward to be damaging. He averages DOUBLE the amount of goals Trac does 1.9 to 0.9 goals a game with HALF the disposals.

Don’t even get me started on Oliver who averages 0.1 goals a game

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Bolton is copping some serious heat over the last few weeks as his reputation (mainly thanks to the media) and has come back to earth a bit. Will be interesting to see the impact he has in finals (plural with a bit of luck), where the top shelf players usually rise to the top.

Is not the best player in the game but is probably the most dangerous and fun to watch.

I think that is sort of everyone’s point. I’m not sure anyone has said he isn’t a gun with huge impact but the best player is a step too far. Reminds me of when it was said about Dale Thomas.

Oh 100% dude, I remember Leigh Matthews saying on radio 2011, the Dale Thomas was the best player in the game midway through that year. I was pretty shocked. While Thomas was a gun during his prime, he wasn't even the best at Collingwood - but he was having an amazing run of games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a forward he is behind Cameron and Stengle, as a midfielder he is behind just about everybody.

Bolton behind Stengle...

shirley-temple.gif

1661315328917.png

You have an interesting way of interpreting forward stats. If only Shai was that creative he might be in front of Stengle.

Yes it must seem weird suggesting 2.7 goals + goal assists from less time forward makes you a better forward than 2.5 goals + goal assists from more time forward. Or 7.7 score involvements from less time forward is greater than 7 score involvements from more time forward.

How exactly do you interpret forward stats Rickety? 😁

As a forward he is behind Cameron and Stengle, as a midfielder he is behind just about everybody.
Jesus that's because he rotates between both, not full time mid or full time forward....hence being the #1 rated mid-forward in the comp. Despite that he only averages .2 goals per game less than the # 1 small forwards in Stengle/Cameron who rarely leave f50 and .5 centre clearances less than the #1 midfielder in Oliver who rarely misses a centre bounce.

Are you new to footy? :$

Yes it must seem weird suggesting 2.7 goals + goal assists from less time forward makes you a better forward than 2.5 goals + goal assists from more time forward. Or 7.7 score involvements from less time forward is greater than 7 score involvements from more time forward.

How exactly do you interpret forward stats Rickety? 😁
2.7 plus goal assists? Lol, what is that stat?

Modern small forwards are at the end of scoring chains, not at the start. Their job is to kick goals when their team has the ball and tackle when they dont. The key metrics are scoring efficiency, goals scored, tackles laid i50 and ground ball gets i50.

Even padding his stats with midfield time he can't catch Tyson. But like I said, nice creative work. Very interpretive.

Jesus that's because he rotates between both, not full time mid or full time forward....hence being the #1 rated mid-forward in the comp. Despite that he only averages .2 goals per game less than the # 1 small forwards in Stengle/Cameron who rarely leave f50 and .5 centre clearances less than the #1 midfielder in Oliver who rarely misses a centre bounce.

Are you new to footy? :$
So he isn't good as a midfielder, and maybe third best as a small forward. Got it.

Modern small forwards are at the end of scoring chains, not at the start. Their job is to kick goals when their team has the ball and tackle when they dont. The key metrics are scoring efficiency, goals scored, tackles laid i50 and ground ball gets i50.

Even padding his stats with midfield time he can't catch Tyson. But like I said, nice creative work. Very interpretive.

Are you keeping a straight face while typing that?

Bolton has more scoreboard impact, way more scoreboard impact per minute spent forward, more goals per minute spent forward, more shots at goal outright, and has more tackles inside 50 per minute spent forward.

But Stengle is the better forward you say….

confused-no.gif

Are you keeping a straight face while typing that?

Bolton has more scoreboard impact, way more scoreboard impact per minute spent forward, more goals per minute spent forward, more shots at goal outright, and has more tackles inside 50 per minute spent forward.

But Stengle is the better forward you say….

confused-no.gif
Lols. More goals per minute spent forward. That's a new one.

You would hope he had more shots at goal given he is the 2nd best forward your team has. Pity he can't convert like Stengle. When you kick a goal the ball goes back to the centre.

Where are the stats you mention?

Why would you not consider goal assists or marks inside 50?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back