Player Watch Shai Bolton - The Next Best Player In The Game

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I actually really like Derm's view on footy - he's a bit like a non-senile Malcolm Blight. The bugger stitched us up a few too many times as a player though.

He is good in small doses. He loves to discuss intricacies while the game goes on around him, which can be annoying. Though he is certainly preferable to anyone Ch 7 uses. In fact, 90% of the Fox Footy people are better than the Ch 7 people.

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
I kinda thought he'd explode this year after some of his more electric performances last year but he seems to be around the same level as last year
hes only averaging 19d (bont averages 21), 2g 1.3b (far more than bont and cripps), 1.1 assists (more than cripps, just less than botempelli on 1.4), 4.4 clearances (more than bontempelli), 5 inside 50 (more than bont and just less than cripps on 5.2).

speaking generally he's 9th in the league for centre clearance averages (6th total centre clearances), 6th in goal assists, 5th in score involvements. so he's high up in midfield numbers all while scoring at the rate of a pure forward.

if he doesnt get any better, hes already bloody damn good. if you think he can get significantly better, well thats scary.

hes only averaging 19d (bont averages 21), 2g 1.3b (far more than bont and cripps), 1.1 assists (more than cripps, just less than botempelli on 1.4), 4.4 clearances (more than bontempelli), 5 inside 50 (more than bont and just less than cripps on 5.2).

speaking generally he's 9th in the league for centre clearance averages (6th total centre clearances), 6th in goal assists, 5th in score involvements. so he's high up in midfield numbers all while scoring at the rate of a pure forward.

if he doesnt get any better, hes already bloody damn good. if you think he can get significantly better, well thats scary.
I'll concede he's kicked more goals than I realised. Some of the games I've watched he's gone missing for large periods when the game was on the line though.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton

Bont has been playing with injuries and Cripps was injured in the first quarter in one game.
Comparing say clearances to Cripps is also pointless because someone like Bailey is closer to Bolton then Bolton is to Cripps and Bailey has more goals and about 1 less touch then Bolton. They are completely different players and roles

You are right though on that he doesn’t even have to improve anymore and he is an incredible player.

VinnieB

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Bolton has velcro hands. And a contortionist's body. And speed. And a leap. And IQ. He's what I thought flyin Ryan could become. But Shai got their first. He is a RIDICULUOS player, one can only laugh with glee.
Sounds like love

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Could be, he has been better than Trac was at the same age for the last 3 years. He won’t be as fat as Trac either.

Shooter#17

Team Captain
May 9, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dees, KC Chiefs
Could be, he has been better than Trac was at the same age for the last 3 years. He won’t be as fat as Trac either.
Have you ever posted anything on here and thought this isn't complete drivel? Didn't think so.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Have you ever posted anything on here and thought this isn't complete drivel? Didn't think so.

None of it’s wrong, Trac himself says he wasn’t fit enough pre 2021. So he did a massive preseason going into 2021 and it paid off. I’m not sure Shai will have that problem.

Also Shai is better than Trac at the same age easily, but that doesn’t mean he could get to Trac’s standards now.

Noidnadroj

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
I was trying to think of another player … from any era… who possessed the following attributes

1. Lighting quick and agile.
2. Can stand on people’s heads.
3. Skilled off both feet.
4. Can stand up in the tackle.
5. Can kick 60m.
6. An excellent clearance player.
7. Kicks goals from anywhere.

Shai needs to continue developing consistency and probably build his tank to be in the conversation as the best, but at his age he’s on track to be in the conversation.

Can anyone think of other players with his skill set as I can’t think of anyone who can basically do anything on a footy field like Bolton can.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Noidnadroj

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond

Bolton has attended 151 centre bounces for 28 clearances = 18.5%

Cripps has attended 181 for 28 = 14.9%

Oliver 193 for 31 = 16.1%

I didn’t find an easy way to do this so I’ve only checked those 3 players. Needless to say if Bolton played permanent centre square his centre clearance numbers would be off the charts.

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
I was trying to think of another player … from any era… who possessed the following attributes

5. Can kick 60m.

Shai needs to continue developing consistency and probably build his tank to be in the conversation as the best, but at his age he’s on track to be in the conversation.

Can anyone think of other players with his skill set as I can’t think of anyone who can basically do anything on a footy field like Bolton can.

Damian Cupido

Vassp

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Noah Balta's skill set is rarer and more valuable imo.
not even close, love what Noah brings.... a total freak of an athlete. But Shai has so much class, speed, and agility, Just in a different league.

Even dusty said he is the most talented at the club.
One player we do have other than Dusty that is nearly on par talent-wise is Sydney Stack.--just needs to find himself.

May 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

5. Can kick 60m.

Jason Akermanis could do a few of those. The Cupido suggestion above is a great one, had so much natural talent.

Osho

We haven't changed our position.
Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
not even close, love what Noah brings.... a total freak of an athlete. But Shai has so much class, speed, and agility, Just in a different league.

Even dusty said he is the most talented at the club.
One player we do have other than Dusty that is nearly on par talent-wise is Sydney Stack.--just needs to find himself.
I think Bolta will take more time. His size gives him something a smaller bloke won't have, higher numbers of contested marking and nullifying oppo talls. These are potential match winning traits at either end, in the same game. Plus Bolta's speed is incredible for his size. He's unfinished, be great to see his development next couple of years.

I've already declared my love of Shai, no need to say more about his talents.

Osho

We haven't changed our position.
Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
People were questioning Dusty even in 2015. So if anything, Derm was changing his view before the pack.
Derm was certainly ahead of the pack regards Tigers in 2017. Before the finals he was talking about how they get stronger through the game and run over teams by the end, something he harped on for each of their big finals wins. In each one, there was a wrestle before the avalanche.

bc27

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
He’s an absolute freak.

He’s the cleanest player I’ve seen running at full speed I’ve seen for a long time. Hits the ball at lighting speed and it just sticks to his hands.

He is able to impact the game whenever he chooses right now and knows he cannot be taken to ground. I would say there may be only two or three players playing with Shai Boltons confidence levels right now. I think Cripps, Bont, Oliver and Gawn are the top four right now but Bolton is only a notch below that group for impact on games.

Watching him live is also pretty amazing right now.

Back