Player Watch Shai Bolton - The Next Best Player In The Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you know why he wasn't getting games early in his career ? Was it just fitness etc...
He always had the talent, and seemed a bit satisfied with that. He has an amazing leap and the reports from his first training sessions were of amazement at how he could take speccies at will. Also they gave him KB's number., which indicated some trust in his abilities The very first match I saw him play was (the memory's a bit fuzzy but I think it may have been a VFL practice match) they were kicking it long down the line to where he would out-mark the opposition ruckman. But he seemed to be focussed too much on trying to do speccies and needed to learn the basics, Also, remember that his first two seasons were when we had a multitude of small forwards all performing well, winning a premiership in the first and the minor premiership in the second.

2019 most Richmond supporters were talking him up and alot of nuetals thought he was ok
Fremantle supporters kept telling us he was only worth a 3rd rounder and he would ask for a trade

2016 trade / draft period was one that makes list managers careers
Prstia , Caddy , Nankervis , Bolton , Graham , Stengle

Walters was excellent when he went into the midfield those few seasons. Wingard has played his best footy for us a mid/fwd. Like Cyril though I don't think Wingard has the durability to play a full time midfield role, especially with his calves being shot.

Current players I think Gresham is probably the one who has made that transition from a 70% FWD to 30% mid to reversing it the other way (70% Mid/30% FWD). Dylan Moore has made this transition later in the year, playing as a centre square mid the last month and excelling.

I still remember Cyril's game against the Crows in the prelim in 2012 as a pure midfielder. Was BOG by a mile and it wasn't even close in a game which featured the likes of Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis, Buddy, Roughead, Dangerfield. I think we will be seeing more players moving up from a small forward position to a midfield role as a result of the Shai Bolton success.

I'd like to think Rankine has the talent to just about play any position apart from ruck/kpp. Think if he had the tank he could move up to the middle and impact in bursts. Rachele is another who I think will eventually move up to a midfield/fwd role.
Shai has already gone past Cyril

Cyril was never considered a $1m player and muted as the best in the league

Shai is 23 and he already is

Walters was excellent when he went into the midfield those few seasons. Wingard has played his best footy for us a mid/fwd. Like Cyril though I don't think Wingard has the durability to play a full time midfield role, especially with his calves being shot.

Current players I think Gresham is probably the one who has made that transition from a 70% FWD to 30% mid to reversing it the other way (70% Mid/30% FWD). Dylan Moore has made this transition later in the year, playing as a centre square mid the last month and excelling.

I still remember Cyril's game against the Crows in the prelim in 2012 as a pure midfielder. Was BOG by a mile and it wasn't even close in a game which featured the likes of Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis, Buddy, Roughead, Dangerfield. I think we will be seeing more players moving up from a small forward position to a midfield role as a result of the Shai Bolton success.

I'd like to think Rankine has the talent to just about play any position apart from ruck/kpp. Think if he had the tank he could move up to the middle and impact in bursts. Rachele is another who I think will eventually move up to a midfield/fwd role.
That was one of the best games of footy I've ever watched. Could argue that Tippett was BOG. Took 7 contested marks and kicked 4, he was unstoppable that night.

I think he's the best small forward in the game, perhaps tied with Toby Greene and Charlie Cameron.

One thing which will cost him votes is that he gives away a few too many free kicks. Lives on the edge as most small forwards do which means giving away frees.

I do think the tigers have worked out his best split for position this year and it's shown in his performance. I think if you trained his motor too much for midfield miles and contested possessions he'd lose some of the spring in his step and perhaps blunt him as a forward.

It's just good to watch players who you know are about to go around somebody and leave them in the dust. We're all watching, we all know it's going to happen and the defender is just praying for somebody else to come in and give them a hand.

Shai has already gone past Cyril

Cyril was never considered a $1m player and muted as the best in the league

Shai is 23 and he already is

Shai still has posters of Cyril in his bedroom.

He's a great player but still a long way to go before reaching Cyril's legacy. By careers end I think the impact he has on footy would be comparable.

Very different players though. Cyril doesn't have Shai's production/durability but Shai doesn't have Cyril's defensive workrate and pressure.

Shai still has posters of Cyril in his bedroom.

He's a great player but still a long way to go before reaching Cyril's legacy. By careers end I think the impact he has on footy would be comparable.

Very different players though. Cyril doesn't have Shai's production/durability but Shai doesn't have Cyril's defensive workrate and pressure.

Sorry mate

But there is nothing Cyril can do that Shai can’t do and hasn’t done better

One is a elite mid/fwd, the other is an exclusive pressurge forward

Shai could do Cyrils job on his ear, while Cyril could not do Shai job in his dreams.

Sorry mate

Shai could do Cyrils job on his ear, while Cyril could not do Shai job in his dreams.
That's crazy talk.
Cyril could do anything. Projecting forward Bolton might surpass him, but he has to do it season after season like Cyril did.
Bolton has a few more freakish abilities, but Cyril wasn't to shabby in that regard either.

Sorry mate

Out of that Hawks team Lewis and Gibson are also overrated. I’ve heard hawks supporters say Gibson was better than Rance.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out of that Hawks team Lewis and Gibson are also overrated. I’ve heard hawks supporters say Gibson was better than Rance.

I don't think anyone would argue that Gibson was better than Rance. Gibson was absolutely underrated though. 2x B&F in a Premiership season but just a single AA to show for it. Would have been a 2x AA (Hooker probably gets pushed out) if he didn't tear his pec.

I would have had him in 2013. Enright got a charity AA and I thought Gibson was better than Johnson for the year but could argue that last one was a genuine 50/50 at the time (Johnson had an excellent season).

Sorry mate

Wouldn't start comparing the two just yet.

Shai is only 23 with 86 games under his belt, and while he is uber talented and can do things most players can't, Shai still has to deliver on all that potential consistently.

His next 5 years and 100 games can potentially reach some pretty lofty heights, save the comparisons to Cyril to that time and then look back. I think Shai will finish up with the better career, but that's a prediction on what he'll become rather than what he's delivered already.

Shai is only 23 with 86 games under his belt, and while he is uber talented and can do things most players can't, Shai still has to deliver on all that potential consistently.

His next 5 years and 100 games can potentially reach some pretty lofty heights, save the comparisons to Cyril to that time and then look back. I think Shai will finish up with the better career, but that's a prediction on what he'll become rather than what he's delivered already.

He needs to stop acting like such a douchebag on field if he wants more respect/praise from opposition supporters.

Great young player no doubt but some of his conduct (esp against the Lions) leaves a lot to be desired.

He needs to stop acting like such a douchebag on field if he wants more respect/praise from opposition supporters.

Great young player no doubt but some of his conduct (esp against the Lions) leaves a lot to be desired.
Generally he shows very little emotions on the field at all. Pumped up after kicking a really important goal against Brissy he gave a player a bit of an unnecessary shove, hardly douchebag stuff.

Generally he shows very little emotions on the field at all. Pumped up after kicking a really important goal against Brissy he gave a player a bit of an unnecessary shove, hardly douchebag stuff.

Oh come on, he has acted like a Wayne Kerr on field for a couple of years now, especially after he kicks ago.

The Brisbane incident was not a one off

I’m not Comparing him to Cyril someone else did , they have nothing in common

Why would shai care about getting respect/praise from oppo supporters ?

He has the love and support of his own fans ,

He usually only acts a douche to docherty for some reason.

Geez, of course you are one of those guys that want the players to be robots. That’s what killed cricket. Post match pressers with players and coaches s**t me. They same the same thing over and over. I just want somebody to say, ‘yeah we belted them’.

Cyril is one the most overrated player of the last 20 years thanks to the relentless hype machine he had behind him. Also winning a GF and being so good in his first year gave him that momentum he carried with him for the next 10 years no matter how average he played

Bolton is already way more dynamic and impactful. A team of 10 Boltons would beat a team of 18 Cyrils

Remove this Banner Ad

Back