Recommitted Shai Bolton [Re-signed to 2023]

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Just another Richmond premiership player out of contract. Apparently tigers about to all take pay cuts, will Bolton be one they end up losing?
Every clubs is taking cuts including the doggies just a click bait article

Bolton looks to be extremely happy at the Tigers and his manager Carr seems to get a good deal for his client without going for the 'biggest pay packet'
They have seen how much extra earnings a long time player at Richmond can earn with Dusty and Shai is a special talent with still massive upside and earning ability if he remains. Im confident he stays and the only way he leaves is if its to fremantle and Adam Cerra would be the asking price and wouldnt take much to convince Cerra that the team his family and he supports would love him at Punt Rd

Every clubs is taking cuts including the doggies just a click bait article

Bolton looks to be extremely happy at the Tigers and his manager Carr seems to get a good deal for his client without going for the 'biggest pay packet'
They have seen how much extra earnings a long time player at Richmond can earn with Dusty and Shai is a special talent with still massive upside and earning ability if he remains. Im confident he stays and the only way he leaves is if its to fremantle and Adam Cerra would be the asking price and wouldnt take much to convince Cerra that the team his family and he supports would love him at Punt Rd
That would be a fair trade

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Just another Richmond premiership player out of contract. Apparently tigers about to all take pay cuts, will Bolton be one they end up losing?
It's a list wide proposed 5% cut, and I'd imagine across the AFL there are cuts at a lot of clubs so I'm not sure this news makes a huge amount of difference to whether he stays or go. I doubt the difference between him staying or going at Richmond would be 5%, if he wants to be here that shouldn't change it. If he doesn't want to buy into that (if it gets approved), then he's more interested in 5% than buying in to keeping the list together so good luck to him.

No way Bolton goes anywhere, Tiges will make sure he's locked away on a big contract. Kid's special, he and the likes of Balta, Baker and others are the key to make sure they have another 2-3 years at the top while Dusty's still around. Not to say some big offers won't come though.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
No way Bolton goes anywhere, Tiges will make sure he's locked away on a big contract. Kid's special, he and the likes of Balta, Baker and others are the key to make sure they have another 2-3 years at the top while Dusty's still around. Not to say some big offers won't come though.

Very special. His ability to break lines is very valuable and obviously the xfactor and skills. Surprisingly good inside for skinny kid too

Would be a significant lose :(

Very special. His ability to break lines is very valuable and obviously the xfactor and skills. Surprisingly good inside for skinny kid too

Would be a significant lose :(
Only 22 and probably your 2nd/3rd best mid behind Dusty and Prestia. I'm backing him in to become your best behind Dusty by the end of the season. Not many mids with elite speed and skill, can see why Carlton forked out the big bucks for Williams.

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Only 22 and probably your 2nd/3rd best mid behind Dusty and Prestia. I'm backing him in to become your best behind Dusty by the end of the season. Not many mids with elite speed and skill, can see why Carlton forked out the big bucks for Williams.

He is behind cotchin and edwards too.

Moved back to the forward line when had a better injury run.

But yeah capable of being a proper 2 way , fast, inside outside mid. Bit special. Would be an outstanding addition to a Fremantle.

His manager carr is a whacko too

No it wouldn’t.

I get that a lot of people in Victoria don’t see the dockers a lot but Cerra is pure class.

Bolton is good in a great team.

Cerra is good in a below average team.

Cerra was ok in a below average team.

Bolton was great in a great team.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
No it wouldn’t.

I get that a lot of people in Victoria don’t see the dockers a lot but Cerra is pure class.

Bolton is good in a great team.

Cerra is good in a below average team.
Honestly, I think you underrate Bolton a bit there. From a neutral's perspective (if anything, I like Freo more than Richmond), Cerra for Bolton is a very fair trade. Their draft position should be ignored at this point, considering Bolton's entering his 5th season and Cerra his 4th. Not that it matters considering direct player trades almost never happen these days unless they're fringe/low value players

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Can people stop pretending they watch the Dockers.
The only people that watch anchor games are their supporters and people with a Sunday arvo fox footy fetish.
If all these knowledgeable oppo supporters actually watched the games networks would want us in prime time.

Tigers fans watch Cerra

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I would take Cerra over Bolton any day of the week if I am rebuilding team, but if I was a contender or whose flag window is about to open, it would be Bolton (it that makes sense)
That’s the other thing that a lot of people can’t comprehend.
Players trade value is different at different clubs and when discussing two players in a trade it’s not necessarily who is the better player based on stats or accolades it’s the value the buyer thinks they bring.
Eg. freo giving up the farm for a damaged hogan(fwd we craved)
Suns giving up the farm for Weller
(Player that wanted to play for suns)

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
That’s the other thing that a lot of people can’t comprehend.
Players trade value is different at different clubs and when discussing two players in a trade it’s not necessarily who is the better player based on stats or accolades it’s the value the buyer thinks they bring.
Eg. freo giving up the farm for a damaged hogan(fwd we craved)
Suns giving up the farm for Weller
(Player that wanted to play for suns)

Why would a rebuilding team not want bolton?

Any day of the week

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
It
Why would a rebuilding team not want bolton?

Any day of the week
it was more a general comment
I haven’t seen enough of Bolton to think otherwise of your statement.
But I’ll say different clubs rebuild different and some would focus on kpp and big bodied mids first.
(I’m purely guessing Bolton’s not big if he is I’m sorry)

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Very very good player worth a fair bit, would think he's happy to stay at Tigerland but they'll need to give him at least some decent coin for him to stay.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Honestly, I think you underrate Bolton a bit there. From a neutral's perspective (if anything, I like Freo more than Richmond), Cerra for Bolton is a very fair trade. Their draft position should be ignored at this point, considering Bolton's entering his 5th season and Cerra his 4th. Not that it matters considering direct player trades almost never happen these days unless they're fringe/low value players
In 2019 Bolton destroyed Fremantle because of his spread from stoppages and centre bounces.

Yes, Bolton was far better Cerra on that day. At the same Martin had a quiet game.

Does mean that Bolton is better than Martin?

Cerra was played half back that day.

I’ve seen Bolton play because Richmond plays a lot of prime time TV.

Fremantle don’t play any prime TV and most footy fans see the Dockers 1-3 times a year.

Im not saying Bolton isn’t good but I am saying that Cerra is better than Bolton.

Bolton almost left Richmond because of unprofessional. He has fixed that but you need to be on his case. Which the Tigers has done a great job at. Bolton was a slider in the draft because of his work ethic.

Cerra does everything professional and doesn’t need required to be monitoring.

Cerra is a leader and Bolton isn’t.

Tom Brady has shown the world that leadership trumps talent.

Stat wise Bolton is better sightly than Cerra.

Considering that Bolton had one more preseason and is playing in a superior team and game style that suits his skills.

Cerra is better than Bolton.

db26

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2007
Punt road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa,A-league
In 2019 Bolton destroyed Fremantle because of his spread from stoppages and centre bounces.

Yes, Bolton was far better Cerra on that day. At the same Martin had a quiet game.

Fremantle don’t play any prime TV and most footy fans see the Dockers 1-3 times a year.

Im not saying Bolton isn’t good but I am saying that Cerra is better than Bolton.

Bolton almost left Richmond because of unprofessional. He has fixed that but you need to be on his case. Which the Tigers has done a great job at. Bolton was a slider in the draft because of his work ethic.

Considering that Bolton had one more preseason and is playing in a superior team and game style that suits his skills.

Take of your blinkers mate Bolton has X factor can break game open and plays in multiple position's.In the guts does it well , put him forward kick you 3 or 4 as we seen against saints in finals.Cerra is way over hyped for me and no hurt factor.

What has that got to do with it his past etc ? Has played in 2 flags at his age.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Take of your blinkers mate Bolton has X factor can break game open and plays in multiple position's.In the guts does it well , put him forward kick you 3 or 4 as we seen against saints in finals.Cerra is way over hyped for me and no hurt factor.

What has that got to do with it his past etc ? Has played in 2 flags at his age.
How many games have you seen the Dockers play?

Last edited:

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I watch far more of Fremantle (around 10-12 games per regular season) than I do of Richmond, so I'm fully aware of Cerra's talent.

Looking at performances on-field, Bolton has easily outperformed Cerra. The reason I said a straight swap would rate them fairly is because of everything you mentioned in your post regarding Cerra's leadership and professionalism. I fully expect that he will lift a lot over the next two years, but Bolton is already performing at close to the elite level.

I know player ratings can be extremely misleading, but even then Bolton is ranked 111th while Cerra is currently sitting at 197th. On Brownlow votes, Cerra has so far polled 6 in his career, while Bolton has 14 (including 9 in 2020).

Honestly, in a straight comparison, Bolton is the better player right now. On value, I'd rate them around the same.

Last edited:
Back