Recommitted Shai Bolton [Re-signed to 2023]

ghostbat12

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I understand your point, but we are currently in a flag window. Why would be take a top 5 pick who might not contribute to that flag window the replinsh, when we have a 22 year old who is one of our best players. It's not like you're swapping a 28 yr old for a 18 yr old.

I don't think West Coast would have the coin or trade assets to get Bolton. I do think Freo are primed and he would be a good fit to Brayshaw/Cerra. Makes a really good three mids to go forward with over the next decade. Add Serong to that list. I think they have the cash and the go home factor, but I hope he stays. If he was a pick four for example I would just say he is performing as a good top 5 pick should.

Mid to late first rounder would get it done. Good player but he isn’t a superstar. 175cm outside players are not worth that much. 16 possessions a game. Please. Lucky clubs aren’t idiots.

Must go to a good club - when Tigers struggle he completely disappears.

To be fair the entire team went missing yesterday.

Shai spent long periods of the game at full forward so it's hard for him to get involved when the ball was always going the other way.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
To be fair the entire team went missing yesterday.

Shai spent long periods of the game at full forward so it's hard for him to get involved when the ball was always going the other way.
He torched it when he did get his hands on. 7 yesterday and 9 & 10 in losses last year.

Daka

Premium Platinum
Nov 28, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
Good player but not a great player.

Very similar to Brad Hill when he was in those great Hawk teams, is hugely damaging when the team is playing well and his worth to a top team is significantly higher than his worth to a lower end team.
Much tougher than Brad Hill completely different players Bolton can win the hard ball inside clearances, Hill is outside runner.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Mid to late first rounder would get it done. Good player but he isn’t a superstar. 175cm outside players are not worth that much. 16 possessions a game. Please. Lucky clubs aren’t idiots.
Outside player !!! If you have never watched the kid play i suggest not to comment maybe have a look at his stats from the carlton game to see how many centre clearances he had or even better some of his finals games where he played in the middle.

How was tim Kelly travelling at his age or Michael Walters just to name 2 WA boys being 175cm is also a strange comment as there are some really elite players that height that are playing AFL

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Outside player !!! If you have never watched the kid play i suggest not to comment maybe have a look at his stats from the carlton game to see how many centre clearances he had or even better some of his finals games where he played in the middle.

How was tim Kelly travelling at his age or Michael Walters just to name 2 WA boys being 175cm is also a strange comment as there are some really elite players that height that are playing AFL
Walters kicked 46 goals in his fifth year (same as Bolton now) so probably very similarly or Walters just ahead. Kelly wasn’t in the system until the next year where he was an instant star.

he is a fascinating player to put a price on. Not a guy you would build a side around but an amazing piece which every club would love.

Last edited:

ghostbat12

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

Well he had zero clearances against swans. No point only performing when your club is dominating. Gotta get your sleeves dirty.

Kelly or Walters is irrelevant. Every 18 year old drafted did better than those two and I don’t see the game aflush with those players.

Good player. Not too 5 pick. Mid to late first and that’s it. His small stature means he will never be a leading inside mid. You don’t pay top 5 pick for 15 possession support players. Sorry. Truth hurts I know.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Well he had zero clearances against swans. No point only performing when your club is dominating. Gotta get your sleeves dirty.

Kelly or Walters is irrelevant. Every 18 year old drafted did better than those two and I don’t see the game aflush with those players.

Good player. Not too 5 pick. Mid to late first and that’s it. His small stature means he will never be a leading inside mid. You don’t pay top 5 pick for 15 possession support players. Sorry. Truth hurts I know.
Cool so your basing that on his game against Swans

all i needed to know

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Walters kicked 46 goals in his fifth year (same as Bolton now) so probably very similarly or Walters just ahead. Kelly wasn’t in the system until the next year where he was an instant star.

he is a fascinating player to put a price on. Not a guy you would build a side around but an amazing piece which every club would love.
Pretty much spot on , You dont build a side around players like Bolton , Betts , Rioli types but they are worth gold when they are at their peak and are game changers. Whilst Bolton is not at the Betts/Rioli level he is tracking beautifully and has shown is a weapon in the middle as well as up foward and kicking goals 55-60 out on the run as well as making opposition look silly close to goal.

Shai Bolton v #5 .......... Im taking a 23 year old Shai Bolton with 10 years left every day of the week rather than risk the next Tambling (insert any top 5 pick at any club that doesnt live up to pre draft expectation)

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Maybe in a couple of years when 1 team is going down and the other up.

It’s much more impressive playing well when the team gets beaten than winning easily.
Well at Richmond Shai has not had that opportunity very often being part of a dynasty and as a 23 year old with 2 medals . I will back him to be a very very good player both times winning or losing.

On saturday he had 21 other team mates that were just as crap

ghostbat12

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Pretty much spot on , You dont build a side around players like Bolton , Betts , Rioli types but they are worth gold when they are at their peak and are game changers. Whilst Bolton is not at the Betts/Rioli level he is tracking beautifully and has shown is a weapon in the middle as well as up foward and kicking goals 55-60 out on the run as well as making opposition look silly close to goal.

Shai Bolton v #5 .......... Im taking a 23 year old Shai Bolton with 10 years left every day of the week rather than risk the next Tambling (insert any top 5 pick at any club that doesnt live up to pre draft expectation)

Bolton or rioli wouldn’t be too 5 picks. I would go as far to say that Eddie wouldn’t be, but he would be close. But top 5 out of contract? Betts may fetch pick 10. Not top 5. And Bolton is far far away from that.

Ah yes all about Tambling. Top 5 is rife with Tambling types, aren’t they? Prime movers are top 5. Not excellent support players out of contract.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Bolton or rioli wouldn’t be too 5 picks. I would go as far to say that Eddie wouldn’t be, but he would be close. But top 5 out of contract? Betts may fetch pick 10. Not top 5. And Bolton is far far away from that.

Ah yes all about Tambling. Top 5 is rife with Tambling types, aren’t they? Prime movers are top 5. Not excellent support players out of contract.

This will be a never ending debate but ill just leave this here

2016 afl draft (same draft Shai Bolton was pick #29)

#4 -Ben Ainsworth
#5 -Will Setterfield
#6 - Sam Petrevski-Seton
#7 - Jack Scrimshaw
#8 - Griffin Logue
#9 - Will Brodie
#10 - Jack Bowes

ghostbat12

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
This will be a never ending debate but ill just leave this here

2016 afl draft (same draft Shai Bolton was pick #29)

#4 -Ben Ainsworth
#5 -Will Setterfield
#6 - Sam Petrevski-Seton
#7 - Jack Scrimshaw
#8 - Griffin Logue
#9 - Will Brodie
#10 - Jack Bowes

And what is your point? Since when is player value related to who was drafted in their year?

Wake.to.reality.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
And what is your point? Since when is player value related to who was drafted in their year?

Wake.to.reality.

Looks like i have to explain everything to you even though we were just talking about which spuds can be picked with draft picks and how a known quality is better than a stab in the dark draft pick kid who at junior level looks amazing but his qualities dont translate to AFL.

Now go back and re read the Tambling quotes and your reply to that saying not all picks are like a tambling. I have just given you 7/8 examples from the exact same draft that are not looking like the shai bolton quality.

Reality is reality and you really are having trouble excepting that.

ghostbat12

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Looks like i have to explain everything to you even though we were just talking about which spuds can be picked with draft picks and how a known quality is better than a stab in the dark draft pick kid who at junior level looks amazing but his qualities dont translate to AFL.

Now go back and re read the Tambling quotes and your reply to that saying not all picks are like a tambling. I have just given you 7/8 examples from the exact same draft that are not looking like the shai bolton quality.

Reality is reality and you really are having trouble excepting that.

Yes but he is out of contract. Therefore you will never get best value.

Honestly, how naive are Richmond fans? Jesus.

Back