Recommitted Shai Bolton [Re-signed to 2023]

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn't there a rumour last time he was OOC that Crows were interested in him, before we went and picked up Stengle?

Wouldn't be surprised if we're interested again. Classy player who can also win the hard ball. Would take a bit to get him though

Wasn't there a rumour last time he was OOC that Crows were interested in him, before we went and picked up Stengle?

Wouldn't be surprised if we're interested again. Classy player who can also win the hard ball. Would take a bit to get him though
Yes thats when Fremantle supporters were telling everybody on BF he was only worth a late 3rd rounder

Honestly, how naïve are Fremantle fans? Jesus.

Yes thats when Fremantle supporters were telling everybody on BF he was only worth a late 3rd rounder

Honestly, how naïve are Fremantle fans? Jesus.

Every club has fans who are a bit delusional/misguided when it comes to trade value (Christ knows I have made a few blues myself)

Bit unfair to have a pop at Freo fans, whom I honestly think seem to be amongst the more rational ones on this D and T board.

Every club has fans who are a bit delusional/misguided when it comes to trade value (Christ knows I have made a few blues myself)

Bit unfair to have a pop at Freo fans, whom I honestly think seem to be amongst the more rational ones on this D and T board.
I think it comes from the last time he was uncontracted and the freo fans telling us he will be going to fremantle for a late 3rd or 4th rounder when the kid had shown at VFL level that he was special and the only reason he had not played was due to his actual size and inability to run out a game.

They just would not accept he was worth atleast what we paid after just 18 months and burning up the vfl in 2017
kind of like if they were saying Kemp is only wort a 3rd rounder when you know the kid is a talent

To be fair the entire team went missing yesterday.

Shai spent long periods of the game at full forward so it's hard for him to get involved when the ball was always going the other way.
The question though is why have him at full forward to begin with? Clearly not impacting elsewhere. He wasn't alone in that, but also wasn't trusted to turn it around in the midfield

League high 6 centre clearances and 9 total clearances in round 1 to go along with:

25 possies, 14 contested
8 inside 50s
7 score involvements
554 metres gained
1 goal assist
1 goal

Still only 22, turns 23 in December.

But yeh he has sh*t trade value....
Amazing how a star falls from heaven after just 1 bad game

You have to love BF

I think it comes from the last time he was uncontracted and the freo fans telling us he will be going to fremantle for a late 3rd or 4th rounder when the kid had shown at VFL level that he was special and the only reason he had not played was due to his actual size and inability to run out a game.

They just would not accept he was worth atleast what we paid after just 18 months and burning up the vfl in 2017
kind of like if they were saying Kemp is only wort a 3rd rounder when you know the kid is a talent

To be fair, Bolton's stocks have risen considerably since last time he was OOC, and I do agree they undervalued him, but I think every club has those type of fans..

Freo probably need to try attract an decent KPF or two before targeting someone like Bolton anyway (Walters probably has 3 good years left in him)

The question though is why have him at full forward to begin with? Clearly not impacting elsewhere. He wasn't alone in that, but also wasn't trusted to turn it around in the midfield

Whilst that suits many agendas on here, it is also baseless and carries zero fact.

So why is he at full forward then?

Maybe because he spends alot of time there when our forward line isnt functioning
Maybe he was inured
Maybe they thought he had a mismatch
Maybe they put the onus in the midfield back on our senior players

My point is, what you stated is baseless opinion trying to be passed off as fact

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe because he spends alot of time there when our forward line isnt functioning
Maybe he was inured
Maybe they thought he had a mismatch
Maybe they put the onus in the midfield back on our senior players

My point is, what you stated is baseless opinion trying to be passed off as fact
Ok then. All of those seem like valid reasons. All is want I point out is that your 4th point implies he isn't a senior midfielder. I do rate him quite highly for what he does, but I also think he's made to look a level above because of the players around him.

Ok then. All of those seem like valid reasons. All is want I point out is that your 4th point implies he isn't a senior midfielder. I do rate him quite highly for what he does, but I also think he's made to look a level above because of the players around him.

He's 22yo in a team that has Cotchin, Martin, Prestia (when fit), Edwards, Lambert running through the midfield. Is it Shai's fault he's not a senior midfielder in our team?

Shai gets moved forward when the game is slipping away because he's dangerous down there and gives us a different look. The same reason you see Balta moved forward if things are looking grim. Dimma is hardly a revolutionary making these kinds of moves.

Teams make these kind of moves all the time. Are Bont, Walters, Dunkley etc lesser midfielders because their coaches decide to play them forward at times?

Last edited:
He's 22yo in a team that has Cotchin, Martin, Prestia (when fit), Edwards, Lambert running through the midfield. Is it Shai's fault he's not a senior midfielder in our team?

Shai gets moved forward when the game slipping away because he's dangerous down there and gives us a different look. The same reason you see Balta moved forward if things are looking grim. Dimma is hardly a revolutionary making these kinds of moves.

Teams make these kind of moves all the time. Are Bont, Walters, Dunkley etc lesser midfielders because their coaches decide to play them forward at times?
It's fair enough that he gets sent forward at times. I guess I'm just astonished that people were floating a pick 5 for him. Unless I read that wrong

West Coast went hard for Bolton in 2019.

He stated after the fact that he was never seriously considering leaving Richmond, but the deal at the time was 3 years and more money than what Richmond offered.

The interest from West Coast resulted in Richmond paying him more than they would have liked at the time.

It's a good time for him to come out of contract given his rise in the last 12 months. He should be cashing his chips and re-signing until he reaches free agency in 2024.

Richmond has a long list of priority signings this year, and have done well to lock away Balta, Grimes and a couple of others. I could see Bolton being next cab off the ranks, but I am getting the feeling that one or two players are going to be falling off Richmond's list due to salary cap.

West Coast went hard for Bolton in 2019.

He stated after the fact that he was never seriously considering leaving Richmond, but the deal at the time was 3 years and more money than what Richmond offered.

The interest from West Coast resulted in Richmond paying him more than they would have liked at the time.

It's a good time for him to come out of contract given his rise in the last 12 months. He should be cashing his chips and re-signing until he reaches free agency in 2024.

Richmond has a long list of priority signings this year, and have done well to lock away Balta, Grimes and a couple of others. I could see Bolton being next cab off the ranks, but I am getting the feeling that one or two players are going to be falling off Richmond's list due to salary cap.

I see Richmond letting go of Castagna before Bolton if it came down to it. Plus Houli will retire, and will probably let McIntosh go, they should have enough in the SC to retain Bolton I reckon

I see Richmond letting go of Castagna before Bolton if it came down to it. Plus Houli will retire, and will probably let McIntosh go, they should have enough in the SC to retain Bolton I reckon

Agree it won’t be Bolton that gets pushed out, but his contract could have knock on effects for others.

So it's hard to say they went hard for him.

The offer was spoken about as being "a very good offer and substantially higher than the one Richmond originally had on the table", and forced Richmond to increase the offer.

If the home club has to increase the offer in response to a rival's poaching their talent, I'd call that "going hard".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back