Recommitted Shai Bolton [Re-signed to 2023]

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
550k? I’d only accept two years if I were him.
And thats probably what will happen

Ralph Carr usually just does short contracts with players like shai and makes the most of the deal when its free agency time

If he was happy to do a 5 year deal the amount would be higher , If you get a chance to listen to Damien Hardwicks presser after the doggies game he gets asked about shai and his contract and goes onto say Players could get alot more but the chose to take less to stay.

We all love shai and want him to stay but if he was to leave i think we will be getting good compensation from which ever club he goes to

But just out of interest i would love to get the thoughts of the people here , If you had a choice of player to take right now for free
Tim Kelly or Shai Bolton

Sky

Doctor Demise
Feb 14, 2021
NT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea
And thats probably what will happen

Ralph Carr usually just does short contracts with players like shai and makes the most of the deal when its free agency time

If he was happy to do a 5 year deal the amount would be higher , If you get a chance to listen to Damien Hardwicks presser after the doggies game he gets asked about shai and his contract and goes onto say Players could get alot more but the chose to take less to stay.

We all love shai and want him to stay but if he was to leave i think we will be getting good compensation from which ever club he goes to

But just out of interest i would love to get the thoughts of the people here , If you had a choice of player to take right now for free
Tim Kelly or Shai Bolton
I’d take Shai Bolton over TK but I’m also someone who’s have preferred to keep Tim Kelly over say Patrick Dangerfield because TK isn’t culture destroying up himself

Daka

Premium Platinum
Nov 28, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
He is only 22 years old, my guess is we pay him a little more money than we want to pay probably around the 550K 3x gets him to get free agency.

banzai

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 14, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
He is only 22 years old, my guess is we pay him a little more money than we want to pay probably around the 550K 3x gets him to get free agency.

He only needs 2 more for FA doesnt he? Its his 5th year now. I reckon they will get 600 x 2 out of us.

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
Thats ok Elmer freo fans are still thinking 3rd rounder as he is uncontracted

I honestly think it is better for Shari to stay at the Tigers. Returning to Perth may not be best for him ( off field influences ? ).

Freo & West Coast will enquire, but will stay put.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
I honestly think it is better for Shari to stay at the Tigers. Returning to Perth may not be best for him ( off field influences ? ).

Freo & West Coast will enquire, but will stay put.

He doesnt have any off field influence's , Your getting him mixed up with Harley Bennell

Shai's mentor t Richmond is Bachar Houli

Perfect citizen

daird

All Australian
Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Off field influences? He has zero issues in that regard, what makes you think he does?
I think that's kind of what he's saying. In Melbourne there's no bad influences for him currently, good mentors around. Going home to WA he'd be around mates more and maybe have less positive influences.

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
He doesnt have any off field influence's , Your getting him mixed up with Harley Bennell

Shai's mentor t Richmond is Bachar Houli

Perfect citizen

I think you read my comment back to front.

I know of no negative influences on Bolton at the Tigers, the negative influences could be in Perth. He is going well where he is, why move ??

My comment comes after speaking to one of the talent spotters to one of the Vic teams, last year. He rated Shai very highly, but felt some influences around him in WA, could cause problems in the future.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
He does, that's why he slide on draft night from a mid-late first round to pick 29.

Off field influences are in Perth not Melbourne.

Bolton should stay at Tigerland.

What makes you think he slid in the draft ?

Who had him as a 1st round draft pick , Every phantom mock draft had him as a mud-late 2nd rounder
Call twomey had him going to pies at pick #30
Anderson from SEN also had him at #30
Fox sports he was #28
Knightmare - #21
Matt Balmer - #38

Nobody had him better than pick #21 which was ESPN - Knightmare

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
What makes you think he slid in the draft ?

Who had him as a 1st round draft pick , Every phantom mock draft had him as a mud-late 2nd rounder
Call twomey had him going to pies at pick #30
Anderson from SEN also had him at #30
Fox sports he was #28
Knightmare - #21
Matt Balmer - #38

Nobody had him better than pick #21 which was ESPN - Knightmare
Really.

Must be my own view.

All good.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
My bad, so yeah 2 years than free agency will be the he's best contract.
Wait, what?

2017 was his first season. So he'll be a FA after 2024.

I always wonder in this situation whether it would be the club or the player pushing for more than a two-year deal.

I think Richmond would say here's $2 million over three years.

theiaofseed

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Who is offering that?

Even then, I'm not sure he loses much by staying at Richmond for $2 million over three years and then becoming a FA.
Young players thats already had heaps of success, good luck to Richmond if he does stay I just don't see it when there's much longer and much more money on table else where. If a team like the saints offer Jones 700k and Hill 900k there would be suitors lining up at 800k.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Young players thats already had heaps of success, good luck to Richmond if he does stay I just don't see it when there's much longer and much more money on table else where. If a team like the saints offer Jones 700k and Hill 900k there would be suitors lining up at 800k.
Like I said, what would he sacrifice by staying at Richmond for $2 million over three years and then becoming a FA?

theiaofseed

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Like I said, what would he sacrifice by staying at Richmond for $2 million over three years and then becoming a FA?
No way Richmond can pay in close 700k, leaving he will gain an extra million over 3 years and have the luxury of a longer contract.

TigerTime88

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
People overrate draft picks so much. Look at Bolton’s draft he is top 5 from that draft class and arguably top 3, competing with McCluggage and Taranto. That draft class was a really good one so most years if you looked back you would have him to 3.

I remember when we recruited Prestia people were saying he wasn’t worth pick 6 ect, which was actually the same year. GC picked Will Brodie who is a flop (one of the only misses I might add).

Im confident Bolton will stay and may be lured home eventually as a free agent, but I’d he did go then talk of 15-20 is well off.

TigerTime88

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
People overrate draft picks so much. Look at Bolton’s draft he is top 5 from that draft class and arguably top 3, competing with McCluggage and Taranto. That draft class was a really good one so most years if you looked back you would have him to 3.

I remember when we recruited Prestia people were saying he wasn’t worth pick 6 ect, which was actually the same year. GC picked Will Brodie who is a flop (one of the only misses I might add).

Im confident Bolton will stay and may be lured home eventually as a free agent, but I’d he did go then talk of 15-20 is well off.

Back