Recommitted Shai Bolton [Re-signed to 2023]

Remove this Banner Ad

No way Richmond can pay in close 700k, leaving he will gain an extra million over 3 years and have the luxury of a longer contract.
We had cap space to chase brad crouch and hogan so I’d say we could pay that. We also have a lot of draft capital this year to either bring in a big fish or refresh on the run. So 700k can be done

Equally, you wouldn't have Martin or Cotchin without top 5 picks.
Very true. We did well with our early picks after ******* them up for years.

People are quick to want to get rid of known qualities for lucky dip picks too often as well on the other hand

People are quick to want to get rid of known qualities for lucky dip picks too often as well on the other hand
Are they? I don't reckon clubs are too keen to trade good players for "lucky dip" picks.

The reality is that if a team is to have success, they have likely had some early picks and have nailed them. That is still the best single predictor of success.

Are they? I don't reckon clubs are too keen to trade good players for "lucky dip" picks.

The reality is that if a team is to have success, they have likely had some early picks and have nailed them. That is still the best single predictor of success.
Talking fans mate not people who get paid to do it

No way Richmond can pay in close 700k, leaving he will gain an extra million over 3 years and have the luxury of a longer contract.

Sure we can. Half our team is out of contract this year, we have older players out of contract who's next contract from next season will likely be reducing (thinking Jack, Shedda, Astbury) and if we lose a couple of players on our list that are backups and replace with draftees then they will free a bit more up.

Plenty can be done to free up some money in the cap.

I'm expecting him to re-sign for 3 years taking him to FA for around $600-$650k. He then has the choice at FA if we are dropping down the ladder, to take his payday and keep trying to compete at the top of the ladder. If we can rebuild on the run, he may stay and continue to drive us into finals. This gives him the most flexibility IMO in terms of both money and ongoing team success.

People overrate draft picks so much. Look at Bolton’s draft he is top 5 from that draft class and arguably top 3, competing with McCluggage and Taranto. That draft class was a really good one so most years if you looked back you would have him to 3.

I remember when we recruited Prestia people were saying he wasn’t worth pick 6 ect, which was actually the same year. GC picked Will Brodie who is a flop (one of the only misses I might add).

Im confident Bolton will stay and may be lured home eventually as a free agent, but I’d he did go then talk of 15-20 is well off.
Conversely, we traded 6 and 23 for Hogan which became B.King and somebody else can't remember who. Anecdotes aren't useful, you need to dig a lot deeper and do some proper analysis.

Also consider that approximately 99% of players in the league were drafted, including all the elite players and a good portion come from the top 10.

TLDR: There is a reason you don't see players traded for two top 5 picks (after Judd), because it doesn't add up on average.

Also, he easily gets pick ~10 + change if traded this year.

Conversely, we traded 6 and 23 for Hogan which became B.King and somebody else can't remember who. Anecdotes aren't useful, you need to dig a lot deeper and do some proper analysis.

Also consider that approximately 99% of players in the league were drafted, including all the elite players and a good portion come from the top 10.

TLDR: There is a reason you don't see players traded for two top 5 picks (after Judd), because it doesn't add up on average.

Also, he easily gets pick ~10 + change if traded this year.

Right so you can get a King at 6, but for every king there is probably two Brodie’s. My point is if a young kid at 22 is plying awesome footy and getting BOG’s he is worth a top 10 pick. There is a long line of failed picks, while there are obviously also successes. Bolton is a success and would be top 5 easily from his strong draft, so why wouldn’t he be a top 10 pick.

An absolute star.. one reason we have some sort of chance being decent post Cotch and Dusty.. which is when Shai would really get paid.. along with Lynch, Prestia and Vlaus being a bit younger..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Right so you can get a King at 6, but for every king there is probably two Brodie’s. My point is if a young kid at 22 is plying awesome footy and getting BOG’s he is worth a top 10 pick. There is a long line of failed picks, while there are obviously also successes. Bolton is a success and would be top 5 easily from his strong draft, so why wouldn’t he be a top 10 pick.
I said he would be a top 10 pick + change.

I was objecting to your claim the draft is underrated. I don't think it is. If anything, the rhetoric that it is overrated has made it underrated by those on here.

There are busts and successes on both sides. Like a long list of each.

Was that Peter Bells first list management brain fart?
Can't remember if Lobb was done first. Certainly one of the first couple.

West coast need to have a serious crack at this bloke, our first rounder and a decent player

It is understood that as part of the Eagles' players agreeing to a more significant financial hit, they were assured that the money was not being kept to spend on luring another high-priced recruit to the club unless West Coast was to free its own space by unexpectedly losing key players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back