Opinion Port Adelaide - how do you rate our development of players

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Unknown-1.jpeg
Unknown-1.jpeg
Last night I was dreaming of Brad Crouch and I sat up with a start this morning and it came to me.

Our neighbours and their notion of organic growth. And I thought, it has to be asked; are we one of the worst club in the AFL for developing our players next to GCS perhaps (see the connection)

Who, just who, at PAFC has come ahead in leaps and bounds in recent years?
Who has not stagnated or gome backwards? Robbie Gray perhaps?
No wonder we don't lose our players because no one prizes them highly enough to lure them away. You have to give kudos to our neighbours. Theirs are improving year on year, ours are going backwards. s**t, their average midfield has even developed better than ours even with them losing the best player in the comp.

We have serious serious issues. It's not just our overall game plan but it's our ability to develop players who have the ability to pull it off. We are ruining our players.
Help, before we ruin the next batch too. IS OUR DEVELOPMENT OF PLAYERS OUR BIGGEST FAILING OF ALL?
Oh and our midfield set ups are abysmal.

Unknown-1.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Some of our young talls are getting better but otherwise not many others. Mainly better teamwork and having some players that are consistently good at sanfl are keeping the Magpies up but not much there to reinvigorate our midfielders.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Crows had no qualms about throwing a bucketload of cash to lure Walsh away and literally set our club back years. Perhaps we should do the same. I know it likely won't work but now that Burgo has gone, and his big pay check, see if we can poach their Head of Development. What is the point of having a World Class High Performance Department if our players don't know how to footy? Please bring in a Footy Maestro. Swans also know how to develop players. Perhaps someone from there?

Last edited:

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
Improvers:

Houston
Jonas
Dixon
Clurey
Ryder

Back to their best:

Wingard
Ebert

Inconsistent:

R. Gray (better more often that not though)
Wines (as above)
Westhoff
Trengove (out of position)
Polec
Amon
Hombsch

Backwards:

Boak
Broadbent
Hartlett
Impey (did he ever have it?)
Toumpas (as above)
Lobbe (out of sorts for years)
Neade
Young
DBJ
Pittard
Austin
Ah Chee (I still think he's been under-utilised)
Krak
Monfries(cooked)
White (cooked)

No opportunity:

Frampton
Howard
Bonner
Palmer

So it's not hard to see why we only win half of the time. I'm more concerned about our senior players than our youngsters. The problem is how many in the backwards category are amongst our first picked 22 every week.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's those darn sleep pods I reckon....

Seriously though might be my interpretation of what he said but the coach basically saying we have no depth when we have one/two injuries (and no long term ones) is a killer for me.

I said at the time but how good would it have been to have a debutant for the Brisbane game would have energised the group and given the fans something. Forget about coaching in my book that's poor management.

Eight goals and you "need consistency" but poor form gives you a week to relive the pressure?.

Seriously though might be my interpretation of what he said but the coach basically saying we have no depth when we have one/two injuries (and no long term ones) is a killer for me.

I said at the time but how good would it have been to have a debutant for the Brisbane game would have energised the group and given the fans something. Forget about coaching in my book that's poor management.

Eight goals and you "need consistency" but poor form gives you a week to relive the pressure?.
This, not suggesting we could develop players better but selection also plays a part. Back the kids in here and there and they will reward the faith shown in them.
Most of that next group of players would have played at nearly ever other club this year. Instead of giving Frampton or Palmer a run we bought in Neade or Young three times.

PAUR

Club Legend
Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Aug 10, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea
Improvers:

Houston
Jonas
Dixon
Clurey
Ryder

Back to their best:

Wingard
Ebert

Inconsistent:

Wines (as above)
Westhoff
Polec
Amon
Hombsch

Backwards:

Boak
Broadbent
Hartlett
Toumpas (as above)
Neade
Young
DBJ
Pittard
Austin
Krak
Monfries(cooked)
White (cooked)

No opportunity:

Frampton
Howard
Bonner
Palmer

So it's not hard to see why we only win half of the time. I'm more concerned about our senior players than our youngsters. The problem is how many in the backwards category are amongst our first picked 22 every week.

Boak hasn't gone backwards on last year. He was crap last year too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

*PAF

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Port Adelaide - Nathan Krakouer Player Sponsor 2015 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Feb 17, 2005
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Improvers:

Houston
Jonas
Dixon
Clurey
Ryder

Back to their best:

Wingard
Ebert

Inconsistent:

Wines (as above)
Westhoff
Polec
Amon
Hombsch

Backwards:

Boak
Broadbent
Hartlett
Toumpas (as above)
Neade
Young
DBJ
Pittard
Austin
Krak
Monfries(cooked)
White (cooked)

No opportunity:

Frampton
Howard
Bonner
Palmer

Of the players you mentioned, the only ones that you have as "improved" are just about the only players that have a clear position and role. Although I would include Polec in this group. For mine he has performed consistently and also improved his all round game.

The others have positions, although even that changes from time to time, but what is their role in the team? Does it change from week to week or is it unclear/ad hoc such as Westhoff?

Westhoff, Ebert, Gray, Wingard, Wines, Young seem to be asked to perform different roles week to week and their output varies accordingly.

Melbourne has the best record of stuffing up development of top 5 and top 10 players. They might be getting it right after 15 years of s**t development.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

There are other areas to be critical about but in Howard's case when he kicked that 8 goals he had almost completed 12 months from knee surgery. He played well before that game of course but I'm satisfied with him not playing afl prematurely. He hadn't played enough afl beforehand to be comfortable at that level plus return with a knee reconstruction but yes plenty of other examples to select.

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
OneGreatClub said:
Do we have literally the worst development of players in the league?
It's not that bad, but we have one of the strongest lists we've ever had, yet we're not seeing any players emerging.

Teams like the Crows & Sydney are leaving us for dead in terms of player development.

IMO Hinkley has proven now across 5 years that he's unable to develop talent.

Rodney Eade and Ross Lyon like this thread.

We are still not the former Melbourne regime either. Brad Scott is a real contender too.

We're fifth worst, at worst.

Visenfest

Chasing stability
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
View attachment 401215 View attachment 401215 Last night I was dreaming of Brad Crouch and I sat up with a start this morning and it came to me.

Our neighbours and their notion of organic growth. And I thought, it has to be asked; are we one of the worst club in the AFL for developing our players next to GCS perhaps (see the connection)

Who, just who, at PAFC has come ahead in leaps and bounds in recent years?
Who has not stagnated or gome backwards? Robbie Gray perhaps?
No wonder we don't lose our players because no one prizes them highly enough to lure them away. You have to give kudos to our neighbours. Theirs are improving year on year, ours are going backwards. s**t, their average midfield has even developed better than ours even with them losing the best player in the comp.

We have serious serious issues. It's not just our overall game plan but it's our ability to develop players who have the ability to pull it off. We are ruining our players.
Help, before we ruin the next batch too. IS OUR DEVELOPMENT OF PLAYERS OUR BIGGEST FAILING OF ALL?
Oh and our midfield set ups are abysmal.

View attachment 401215
"Last night I was dreaming of Brad Crouch."

This is the most you thing ever OGC :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back