Autopsy Shameful game V Dees - tell it like it is right here.

Who is even fit and waiting on the sidelines?
Wood, Campbell, Hosie, Walker

I just miss cunnington. him physically picking up the whole team and carrying them all with him. :(

Which is why his back is ****ed. He's been carrying this team for years.

rm3504

All Australian
May 13, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We have a good 23 and under core, so not all is lost
LDU
Simpkin
TT
Kyron Hayden
Bonar
Ahern (Probs the most skilful kick on our list)
W Walker
Curtis Taylor
Zurhaar
Larkey
Comben
Perez
Mahony
Bailey
Xerri
2 first round picks to come
It’s all relative. Every club got a list of young players with promise.

Roobo's right about LMac. 30odd touches, most in the deep D50 and only 5 contested. Lots of sideways crab kicks and ring a ring a rosie handballs.

And before everyone comes at me, I'm not saying he wasn't one of our best, just saying the stats are not a true reflection of impact.

Tarrent 25, Higgins 27, Atley 17 mostly in the D50/bsck half and barely a contested touch between them.

We are so stagnant bringing the ball out, exacerbated by our sh*t skills once we get it anywhere near the centre.

One thing I’ve noticed, is that no one moves to create options upfield.

Players just standing waiting for the long kick to a stationary target.

It’s head against brick wall sh*t.

There is a relationship between these two things. There are obviously forward structure and coaching issues and as a result the whole thing falls down.

You can't transition from defence to attack without movement in the attacking half of the ground. If the forwards are not working well then ball will move sideways on the defensive side of the square because there are no options to go forward to.

It's part of the reason we seem stagnant bringing the ball out - because our forward line is stagnant.

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The 3 main Melbourne Mids are all picks in the top 5 picks in the 2013/2014 drafts, who did we take with our 3 picks in those drafts?

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
I am staggered at the calls for Shaw to go in the GDT. Give him at least a draft FFS to undo all of the misdemeanours of the past few years.

Shaw cannot be blamed for the poor foot skills of Jy, Jed, Higgo, etc. That's on them.

As professional footballers, it is incumbent upon them to work on their skills with their line coaches and Shaw's role is to provide the game plan.

We've seen the game plan work. At the moment, we are simply not executing.

Throw Cunners back into the mix and this releases Jed/LDU and the whole midfield balance changes.

On SM-A515F using BigFooty.com mobile app
You are giving Shaw a massive out there by laying it all at the players feet.

I've posted this before, but I'll say it again:
The Dogs were bottom four for 3 years in a row. They were dog s**t, pun intended. Then Bevo comes in, plus other new coaches, and takes the same under performing list to finals in his first year, a flag in his second. Led by the coaches, they improved their skills, improved their strength and conditioning, improved their game plan. So clearly, it's possible.
Why the * can't we do that?
Sadly, we've actually gone the other way since Shaw was appointed. We are now in worse shape than any time during the Scott era, including his early years when we copped beltings, but at least we either just missed or made finals, which gave us hope and something to hang our hat on.
I see very few redeeming qualities about our team this year and how we're playing, and I put a lot of it down to the coaching, as well as the board for the hasty appointment.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
One thing I’ve noticed, is that no one moves to create options upfield.

Players just standing waiting for the long kick to a stationary target.

It’s head against brick wall sh*t.

Numerous times (mostly in the first half) we had players streaming forward through the middle, passing to eachother and running for eachother. At about the halfway mark of the ground though they would almost all drop dead on the spot. I'm not sure if Melbourne set up well, or if our forwards just weren't moving, or if we have implanted out midfielders with neural chips that electroshock them after running 30 meters, but we would fall to ******* pieces at that point, again and again and again.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne

The Dogs were bottom four for 3 years in a row. They were dog sh*t, pun intended. Then Bevo comes in, plus other new coaches, and takes the same under performing list to finals in his first year, a flag in his second. Led by the coaches, they improved their skills, improved their strength and conditioning, improved their game plan. So clearly, it's possible.
Why the fu** can't we do that?
Sadly, we've actually gone the other way since Shaw was appointed. We are now in worse shape than any time during the Scott era, including his early years when we copped beltings, but at least we either just missed or made finals, which gave us hope and something to hang our hat on.
I see very few redeeming qualities about our team this year and how we're playing, and I put a lot of it down to the coaching, as well as the board for the hasty appointment.

History would indicate they were an underperforming team. Is ours? I think a lot of people are now of the opinion that if anything we were often an overperforming team.

In Bevo's first year was he also working with a largely changed football department? Was he forced to largely cut contact with his players for 2 months while the world went mad as a pandemic hit? Was he forced to lay off a quarter of his coaching staff? Was he then forced to relocate with his squad to a different state? Did he then get to play sweet * all games at his home ground? Was his team sitting on top of the 'games lost to injuries for best 22 players' with the gap to second being a country mile? Did he have access to a second tier competition to keep lesser lights match conditioned and improving, and to bring injured players back in through?

It's apples and oranges bud. I'm sorry that we are sucking rectum like it's going out of style, but right now everything is ****ed. On field, off field, inbetween field. It's all ****ed. And we have a first year coach trying to discover what his list is made of before he makes decisions on the TWENTY out of contract players he has.

EDIT: I'm not even saying Shaw is a good coach. I don't know. He might end up being a s**t truck that we replace at the end of next year. But the deck is so far stacked against him this year that surely you have to concede it's incredibly bloody hard to make any solid judgements against his long term prospects?

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Our coaching is sub standard. Not one, but must be multiple
Shaw out of ideas.
for every Paul Roos there's a Jeff Gieschen. fu** me.
Time for heat to come on the coach what’s the game plan ... did north jump to early appointing him
Rhyce Shaw is showing he has NFI.
If we lose like this come early next season, club must fall on sword and can Shaw.
Shaw. Questionable selection and questionable game plan tonight. Melbourne were prepared to go all out, we weren't.
Where's this so called gameplan Shaw is providing? All I see is a clusterfu** with zero structure.
Time for Shaw to come under the microscope as well.
Shaw just does so many stupid things. Playing Cunners injured, nice one fu**stick!
Encouraging to see others agree with my sentiment. And that was just from the first few pages.

I'm sure I'll still get lambasted though from the clueless nuffies on here.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
The fact that we have played a lot of football under a roof has that hidden our lack of skills?
Not necessarily, because I don't think our skills have ever been exquisite under the roof.
We're not known as a skilful side, because we've had very few players with great skills in recent years, or since the turn of the century.

hcd199

Club Legend
Apr 29, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Waterford GAA, Glenorchy, Hob (BBL)

The Dogs were bottom four for 3 years in a row. They were dog sh*t, pun intended. Then Bevo comes in, plus other new coaches, and takes the same under performing list to finals in his first year, a flag in his second. Led by the coaches, they improved their skills, improved their strength and conditioning, improved their game plan. So clearly, it's possible.
Why the fu** can't we do that?

I've made clear, in this thread and elsewhere, that I've got serious concerns about where we seem to be headed under Shaw, but I don't think this is a fair comparison. Beveridge has taken the Dogs to 6th-7th-10th-13th-7th, which is basically just what we did for ten years under Scott barring one out-of-the-box finals series, and they fairly explicitly 'rebuilt' before that under McCartney (a "teacher of the game" and a "developer of people") after their premiership tilt under Eade failed, such that their list had gone through an enormous amount of turnover. Your point about implementing a clear programme to address our deficiencies and turn us around quickly is a fair one, and I do think a lot of people on here have been far too comfortable with our very clear regression (far beyond what could reasonably be considered "necessary" in the name of development and future focus, or entirely excused by injuries or a new coaching team bedding in), but I don't think looking to what the Bulldogs did in 2014 provides much of a blueprint - they were in a much different situation to where we are.

Back